Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I did my first park run on Saturday, with a hangover! Went to see the Levellers in Tunbridge Wells and stayed over with some mates. Saturday morning we did the Tunbridge Wells Park Run at Dunorlan Park. Quite a hilly course, but a beautiful location. Finished 73/228 in 25.58. I can see how they can become addictive! With better preperation I would like to aim for 24 minutes, perhaps also a flatter course might held (Hove Prom). Yesterday I did a longer run and manager 12.6 miles @ 9.37, felt great, one of my best training runs. Also doing a July Abs challange with some mates, ouch! Also weighed myself at the gym yesterday for the first time in a long time and was 85kg, so that is heading in the right direction. My target is to get to and maintain 80kg.

There's lots of local knowledge on this thread on parkrun courses. If you are going for a PB then the general consensus is to head for a prom (Hove/Worthing).................unless it's windy. But Hove Park will be quicker than T Wells.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Week 5 Day 1 of Couch to 5K tonight for me and my first run in my new running shoes. Whilst can't wait may be putting it a little strong I am looking forward to getting the week off to an active start.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Curious Orange SB 18:36 PB 18:36
Big Nuts SB 19:00 PB 18:40
Dazzer SB - 20.22 PB - 19.57
GNT SB 20.29
Simgull SB 21:20 PB 20:21
Greg Bobkin SB: 21:44; PB: 20:54
Knocky SB 22:52 PB 17:45
Seaford SB 23:38 PB 23:38

I like this game :p

I'm going to rank it by pbs and @GNT by Age Grade.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not sure if it is of use/interest to anyone – but I've just dug out the stats on parkrun records in the area. Hove Park (eighth fastest course in the country) leads the way (14.28), then Hove Prom (14.46), Preston Park (14.47) and Worthing (15.06). If you want a REALLY quick course, the record at Dulwich is 12.12, while next fastest time is 13.14 at Perth.

Alternatively, for the hilly ones: Clair Park is 15.46; Peacehaven is 16:55 (new record this weekend); and Bevendean is 17:28. The 'slowest' course records are: Mount Edgecomb (18:11); Millom – me neither – (18:02) and Billericay, where someone got a new record this week of 18 mins dead. Mind you, it was only the second parkrun there :lol:

Basically all times that I'm never gonna reach, but it's a good guide to the course difficulty.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Slightly injured again but only slightly. Managed to wear small new shoes for a business trip to Birmingham & only got in a 30 min dreadmill all week which still knackered my knee. So a combo of painful knee & blister did for the weekend long run. It's been better today so hoping to get out at the weekend but am woefully undercooked for Phoenix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
SB and PB both 20:06.

Still crocked. No running now for 4th week and expect it to be another few weeks yet. Caused a few exchanges between mrs harmonica and me over who gets priority on the ice cubes.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As in football season or year? Is there a running season? 95% of the time I run with people who are a bit slower than me so it's kinda hard to tell......

Are we gonna have a Phoenix comp?

Agreed we need a ruling on this. I propose the calendar year as their is no season as such - so shall we agree that times are for 2017? I can't see us agreeing any other arbitrary 'season'. Hope this doesn't foul up anyone's SB! This also means we should post when and if we beat our current 2017 time. Running parallel to this is (or was last year) a kind of old gits informal league where we have our age grade. As everyone can access their age grade on the parkrun sites it isn't restricted to old gits but it means more to old gits as we've got little chance of rivalling you young(er) bucks unless we 'level the playing field' in this way.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The table is a great idea. I'd like to go on it, although I'll be near the bottom. My PB is currently 23:29, set a few weeks ago at Worthing Parkrun.

While I'm on the subject, has anyone got any advice on how I can get faster? To cut a long story short, I started running last July. I was 17st 8lb and I could barely run 5km. My first Parkrun time was 29:48 and I must have been close to a heart attack at the end. A year on and I'm running 40km+ every week (16km on Mondays, 12km on Wednesdays, 10km on Thursdays, Parkrun on Saturdays), I've done almost 50 Parkruns and I'm down to 14st 2lb. I'm pleased with my progress and it all feels much easier now than it did last winter due to having a base level of fitness. But how do I get the sort of times a lot of people on here achieve? How do I get in the 21s and 20s at Parkrun? Continue to lose weight is obviously part of the solution, but what can I do in terms of training/preparation?

You seem to be doing a lot right. Your mileage is high and your weight is dropping.

The only things I can suggest if you're not already doing it is join a club and ensure you have variety in your training e.g hills, speed sessions and a long run.

Best book I read was the art of running faster by Julian Goater. That will give you some sound advice to follow too.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
The table is a great idea. I'd like to go on it, although I'll be near the bottom. My PB is currently 23:29, set a few weeks ago at Worthing Parkrun.

While I'm on the subject, has anyone got any advice on how I can get faster? To cut a long story short, I started running last July. I was 17st 8lb and I could barely run 5km. My first Parkrun time was 29:48 and I must have been close to a heart attack at the end. A year on and I'm running 40km+ every week (16km on Mondays, 12km on Wednesdays, 10km on Thursdays, Parkrun on Saturdays), I've done almost 50 Parkruns and I'm down to 14st 2lb. I'm pleased with my progress and it all feels much easier now than it did last winter due to having a base level of fitness. But how do I get the sort of times a lot of people on here achieve? How do I get in the 21s and 20s at Parkrun? Continue to lose weight is obviously part of the solution, but what can I do in terms of training/preparation?

One of the reasons I love this thread is stories like yours - fantastic to read about the improvements you've made and the health benefits.

It's hard work to run faster, as [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] says joining a club is a great start. Other than that intervals and hills are your friends but also don't under estimate the benefits of gym work. Upper body and core strength are surprisingly important for speed as well as helping prevent injury. Well worth getting a personal session with a trainer who knows about running to give you a set of exercises to work on, be patient but a couple of months you'll really feel it.
Finally there's a guy called Tom Ulliot who runs a free running group on Tuesdays and Thursdays targeting people who want to run 18-23 mins at 5k. They are based in Hove Park and Hove Prom - you can find his group on Facebook, drop him a note and he'll add you . Like all running groups very friendly and supporting.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Week 5 Day 1 of Couch to 5K tonight for me and my first run in my new running shoes. Whilst can't wait may be putting it a little strong I am looking forward to getting the week off to an active start.

Running shoes made a world of difference for me during couch to 5k in May. No more strained calves. Keep up the good work, is week 5 where you get a choice of running time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here