Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey no longer the fun holiday destination it used to be.

Jan 30, 2008
Indeed, I didn't have this trouble walking past Tom Brown's (Warm Manchester Welcome) Restaurant, Happy House egg n chip emporium or Mr Wu's all you can eat Chinese Buffet on the front in Magaluf
OK, so you don't like the truth , big problems along lady's beach in Kus a few years back ,MAYOR THREATENING TO CLOSE PLACE'S DOWN FOR A WEEK FOR OVER HASSLING TOURISTS, may have changed I've never been back ,some geezer on the beach called Sinbad handing out flyers
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Can't beat it for value especially if you golf. 8 of us are going to the Cornelia Deluxe in Belek last week of November, 7 nights All Inclusive, 6 rounds of golf, Transfers, flights with Turkish via Istanbul, 23kg luggage and golf club carriage included..........all for the princely sum of £565 each!!

4 nights with 3 rounds of golf, B&B in somewhere like Portugal/Spain is £600 - £700 depending where you go.
AI killing the local economy in Turkey AND Greece !!:nono:
regards
DR

OK, so you don't like the truth , big problems along lady's beach in Kus a few years back ,MAYOR THREATENING TO CLOSE PLACE'S DOWN FOR A WEEK FOR OVER HASSLING TOURISTS, may have changed I've never been back ,some geezer on the beach called Sinbad handing out flyers
regards
DR

Jus sayin Das, I bet ol Sinbad is no worse that the timeshare merchants that used to effectively force people into cars in Malta, Canaries, Costas etc during the 90s and don't get me started on those 17 year old Northern scroats that used to hang around Las Veronica's literally threatening people to have then"2 for 1" that they didn't want.

Jan 30, 2008
Jus sayin Das, I bet ol Sinbad is no worse that the timeshare merchants that used to effectively force people into cars in Malta, Canaries, Costas etc during the 90s and don't get me started on those 17 year old Northern scroats that used to hang around Las Veronica's literally threatening people to have then"2 for 1" that they didn't want.
I know what you're saying but the Turks are a breed that can on occasions take offence if you don't take up their hospitality , us BRITS DON'T GENERALLY LIKE TO BE REPEATEDLY PESTERED on a night out, there's a happy balance IMHO
regards
DR

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
AI killing the local economy in Turkey AND Greece !!:nono:
regards
DR

No local economy in Belek - Turks built the area specifically as a Golf and AI Resort. there is literally nowhere else to go (plus 8 blokes on the lash you have to look at the economics of it!) However, in general terms, I do agree with your statement. I'm in the trade and have seen big differences in the price of B&B compared to Half Board and more specifically AI. Hotels get away with charging exorbitant upgrades between the latter, as tourists have become lazy and just want AI because it's easy and don't even think to look at the differentials. On many occasions I've down sold AI to HB or B&B (and reducing my revenue/profit) where I can highlight a big differential. As an example I had a family of 4 with 2 kids under 5 and the differential between AI an HB was £140 a day - were they going to spend £140 a day on drinks? (plus the Hotel did free lunch for under 5's on HB!!!)

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Aren't they joining the EU? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just got back from a week in Gündoğan, half an hours drive from Bodrum. We had not been to Turkey before. Wish I had. We loved it.

The security at Bodrum airport is tight. There were three separate security checks on our return journey.

We didn't go to Bodrum but had a night out in Gumbet. We found the Turkish bar/shop owners fine. Banter was good. Sure, they would try and entice you into their premises but there was no hassle, unlike some other countries that I have visited.

Now, I am not one to tar everyone with the same brush but the vast majority of people staying in our hotel were Russian. They really are something else. The restaurant was like feeding time at the zoo and the rush for spirits every morning at 10am was something to behold (It was All Inclusive).. There were only a few Brits in our hotel, which was massive, but we stuck together with a "Dunkirk Spirit". It really was a laugh.

Anyway, I understand that last year figures were low but the hotel complex was rammed. Must have had over 1,000 guests. It was big.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Just got back from a week in Gündoğan, half an hours drive from Bodrum. We had not been to Turkey before. Wish I had. We loved it.

The security at Bodrum airport is tight. There were three separate security checks on our return journey.

We didn't go to Bodrum but had a night out in Gumbet. We found the Turkish bar/shop owners fine. Banter was good. Sure, they would try and entice you into their premises but there was no hassle, unlike some other countries that I have visited.

Now, I am not one to tar everyone with the same brush but the vast majority of people staying in our hotel were Russian. They really are something else. The restaurant was like feeding time at the zoo and the rush for spirits every morning at 10am was something to behold (It was All Inclusive).. There were only a few Brits in our hotel, which was massive, but we stuck together with a "Dunkirk Spirit". It really was a laugh.

Anyway, I understand that last year figures were low but the hotel complex was rammed. Must have had over 1,000 guests. It was big.

Russian people are horrific to share a hotel with. I always research the hotel before i go.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Haven't been to Turkey for years.

Stayed in Istanbul once and asked a taxi driver to take me over to the East. He took us over the river and up to the top of a hill for a great view....then promptly drove off.

Spent the rest of the day wondering how the **** to get back, which eventually involved a lift from a local and a ferry.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Russian people are horrific to share a hotel with. I always research the hotel before i go.

Oh I have met them before. Kos, Sharm and Sri Lanka. The overall markings on Trip Advisor were excellent, so we went for it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here