Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley preparing another bid for Stephens (but probably bollox Twitter rumour)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Just not going to get anything like we would have last summer for him. That's probably a good thing too! Keep him and hope he re-signs. If we go up I think we have every chance of keeping him should we wish to.

A striker (since Murray is old whether joins us or leaves) plus full backs and maybe one more flair attacking mid are all that's needed. We will likely be very flexible with lots of players who play multiple positions. Hemed can stay 3rd choice striker but Baldock may need to be 4th oddly given change in system. Rest of the squad I love, much in the Norwich mold when they went up and stayed up with a certain manager.

Could see us spending a fortune on the best 23-24 year old championship players rather than journeyman EPL players or foreigners. Likes of Hughes for crazy money and a striker who does some of everything. Players who if we did go down in the first couple of years would likely give us a season of loyalty before jumping ship.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
The rest to follow Tony :thumbsup:

money-change-coins-coinage.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Think he'll be gone whether we get promoted or not.

Agreed 100%. Unless we are willing to essentially spend a 'transfer fee' on him, I think he'll join another club willing to pay a couple of Million signing on fee. We know this has been a problem in the past, and rightly so as it means every player could demand it. Sadly I think whatever happens Dale will leave in the summer

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Worth 4 million. Not surprised weve rejected that if true. Both for the price and the fact that we wont sell to another championship side

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Think he'll be gone whether we get promoted or not.

If we get promoted, Stephens going for free will not be a massive problem. I think the strategy of resisting offers for the time being, given that (as long as he behaves in a grown-up fashion) he still has a major role to play in the promotion push, is the sensible option.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No way is Stephens going anywhere....until the summer. As has been pointed out, if he wants the big bucks he'll get more as a free agent with a bigger signing bonus. Dale must be pretty confident of playing Premier League football next season now, ether with us or at another club.

Not only do the club not want to sell, I cannot see Dale agitating for a move either, he's busy.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No way is Stephens going anywhere....until the summer. As has been pointed out, if he wants the big bucks he'll get more as a free agent with a bigger signing bonus. Dale must be pretty confident of playing Premier League football next season now, ether with us or at another club.

Not only do the club not want to sell, I cannot see Dale agitating for a move either, he's busy.

Absolutely. The form that Dale (and the team overall) have shown is that come the Summer Dale holds all the cards.

I daresay if we go up he will stay. If we don't then he can trouser lots of cash from a club like Villa who have deep pockets and want to get out of the division or a Prem Club like Burnley if they stay up.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Nothing in football would surprise especially where money is concerned.

Cant imagine for a minute Stephens would drop down there but stranger things happen all the time. Ritchie to barcodes for example.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Cant imagine for a minute Stephens would drop down there but stranger things happen all the time. Ritchie to barcodes for example.

In fairness to Ritchie, he probably thought one year down here and permanent Premier League football after that. Still a good chance that will happen even with Newcastle's dip in form.

Stephens to Villa would be completely different. No guarantee they will make the play offs and, even if they did, it would only be a one in four chance of going up. It would make a mockery of his claim to want Premier League football.

Having said that, I imagine it is made up Twitter rubbish like the new Burnley bid probably was.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The same Tony Bloom that said, at Bristol, we won't sell anyone we don't want to, in January.

They can use any number of excuses/reasons to justify a sale. 'His heart wasn't at Brighton', 'didn't want another Murray situation', 'the offer was too good' ad infinitum.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Is he not free to talk to other clubs anyway being out of contract in the summer?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

... or Villa club captain Tommy Elphick :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here