Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "if they don't close that stadium someone will get killed there."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...said by a West Ham fan on 5 Live after tonight's trouble in the stands as West Ham beat Chelsea in the EFL Cup.

David Pleat reckons it was all a load of handbags however: "In my opinion we have over egged this a bit. There was a hint of confrontation, arm waving gestures, and some hint of the usual rubbish. You didn't see any real fighting as such and it was quickly dispersed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDmDwlawrE

Chelsea fans' way out of the ground was sealed off by security barriers in the immediate vicinity of the stadium but the mile-long route to Stratford station, a key weakness in the hope for peace between the rival supporter groups, is only sparsely populated by police serials - the operational name for groups of officers.

"They're going to have to do something about this," one police officer told Mirror Football.

"Operationally it is the worst football stadium I have ever worked out.

"It just isn't a football stadium.

"The segregation inside the ground isn't enough and out here it's impossible."

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
...said by a West Ham fan on 5 Live after tonight's trouble in the stands as West Ham beat Chelsea in the EFL Cup.

David Pleat reckons it was all a load of handbags however: "In my opinion we have over egged this a bit. There was a hint of confrontation, arm waving gestures, and some hint of the usual rubbish. You didn't see any real fighting as such and it was quickly dispersed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDmDwlawrE

Chelsea fans' way out of the ground was sealed off by security barriers in the immediate vicinity of the stadium but the mile-long route to Stratford station, a key weakness in the hope for peace between the rival supporter groups, is only sparsely populated by police serials - the operational name for groups of officers.

"They're going to have to do something about this," one police officer told Mirror Football.

"Operationally it is the worst football stadium I have ever worked out.

"It just isn't a football stadium.

"The segregation inside the ground isn't enough and out here it's impossible."

It's unbelievable that this stadium, wasn't properly evaluated for the segregation of supporting fans, home and away.
You'd think the FA, the police and stadium owners would've talked.
Mind boggles.
What's next, the West Ham ultras :lol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think David Pleat may be right from the video I've seen. As for comments that it's a return to the 70's that's laughable. I didn't see one fight. Just a load of idiots pushing and shoving and giving it large and a few chairs being luzzed.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
However bad it was, that's one badly planned football stadium.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I just think it is depressing that the only thing stopping people causing trouble is police and segregation. Are we not intelligent and developed enough to be able to hold ourselves back from fighting each other!?

Pathetic isn't it. What a waste of money too.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I just think it is depressing that the only thing stopping people causing trouble is police and segregation. Are we not intelligent and developed enough to be able to hold ourselves back from fighting each other!?

We are, yes.
However, a minority need police and segregation.Just like life. Luckily, as a community we provide them with what they need although at West Ham that seems to have broken down.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Apparently some aren't, though I'm sure certain posters will be along soon enough to say it's all part of the game (though it isn't)...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think David Pleat may be right from the video I've seen. As for comments that it's a return to the 70's that's laughable. I didn't see one fight. Just a load of idiots pushing and shoving and giving it large and a few chairs being luzzed.

Oh I don't know, some of that finger-pointing looked VERY aggressive.......like [MENTION=24420]Gullflyinghigh[/MENTION] I'm waiting for our resident Jurassic posters to trundle into view.......

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Give your head a wobble Tobys . No one died, just a few lads defending there turf.

Regards
DR

But that's not even 'there [sic] turf' - they hire the stadium. Personally they all look like brainless idiots. As for the idea that throwing chairs and bottles is just handbags - stupidity from Pleat in the extreme. I thought we'd managed to push these kind of cavemen out of football.

EDIT - as for no punches, rubbish, there is at least one thrown at a steward on that video and I'd be surprised if there weren't more not captured on film.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
But that's not even 'there [sic] turf' - they hire the stadium. Personally they all look like brainless idiots. As for the idea that throwing chairs and bottles is just handbags - stupidity from Pleat in the extreme. I thought we'd managed to push these kind of cavemen out of football.

EDIT - as for no punches, rubbish, there is at least one thrown at a steward on that video and I'd be surprised if there weren't more not captured on film.
Wrong fairy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This was West Ham v Chelsea, probably the most likely of all games in the league to have an issue, although the Spurs game might be similar. Sad that the usual thickets are unable to go to a game without getting involved in trouble, but that's the way of the world.

I will say I am dreading the day Millwall have to play there. There is absolutely no way that one is going to end well.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
At least there is 4 months before Chelsea return for the league game to enable lessons to be learnt.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
There seems to be some kind of invisible force field keeping the two groups apart?

I mean, that line of part time, 21 year-old stewards from The University of East London couldn't possibly be keeping our countries' TOP BOYS from getting to each other.... could they?

Last edited:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It's insane. I genuinely cannot believe they have been allowed to hold football there. The police radio fiasco was pathetic as well with both sides refusing to pay and a certain top official refusing to have a designated family stand.

I asked Moose when he reported on it but it was ignored - if this was a Europa or Champions League game and we saw this violence after a history of crowd trouble - wouldn't the club face a stadium ban and behind closed doors matches?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sad twats, if the stewards had stepped out of the way and let them get on with it they would have all shat themselves.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here