Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The WORKERS Party now in compete disarray

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes they did!

Yes ..... you are absolutely correct .... the Labour manifesto and its party policy was, and still is, to abolish university tuition fees. I don't know where you got the idea that "Corbyn has said in reality they couldn't afford to nor did they realise how much money it would cost" though ..... perhaps you could supply a source for such a statement ...... Corbyn and the Labour party still advocate, and rightly so, abolition of the tuition fee.

What the Tories and the right wing press are getting their knickers in a twist about is what larus states as Corbyns "promise to refund all of the existing students debts that he made during the election which he has now gone back on". But again, this is factually incorrect, because he never promised this at all. What he said was, and I quote, "We’ve not got a policy or proposal on it. There wasn’t time between the announcement of the election and the publication of the manifesto but I do understand that point and I’m entirely sympathetic to it ...... There is a block of those that currently have a massive debt, and I’m looking at ways that we could reduce that, ameliorate that, lengthen the period of paying it off, or some other means of reducing that debt burden".

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Democratically voted for the party and PM that they considered would run the country best and most efficiently.
Er no....it voted to remove an existing Tory majority in the HoC when asked to give an increased mandate to the strong and stable PM...and its wishes have been trampled on via a shameless cash for votes deal done with the most reactionary 'mainstream' party in the UK. Not what I call democracy.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Labour in their manifesto said they would scrap tuition fees.

Excellent. It will encourage more local students to go to higher education, enhance social mobility, increase GDP, pay for itself as graduates earn more (and therefore pay more income tax) and stop universities being to reliant on international students.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Excellent. It will encourage more local students to go to higher education, enhance social mobility, increase GDP, pay for itself as graduates earn more (and therefore pay more income tax) and stop universities being to reliant on international students.

Have University applications dropped since the increase from 3k to 9k?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have University applications dropped since the increase from 3k to 9k?

From middle class families, no, from working class families, who benefit most from social mobility, yes.

Tuition fees are a barrier to the working class improving themselves. I can't see how anyone can believe that is a good thing.

I didn't vote Labour because McDonnell is an incompetent ideologue and I have too many Jewish friends to support a party that is at best ambivalent to them.

But free education works in Germany, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Norway, average €500 a year in France, €1,000 a year in Spain & Switzerland.

In this country education is sneered at by too many.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
From middle class families, no, from working class families, who benefit most from social mobility, yes.

Tuition fees are a barrier to the working class improving themselves. I can't see how anyone can believe that is a good thing.

I didn't vote Labour because McDonnell is an incompetent ideologue and I have too many Jewish friends to support a party that is at best ambivalent to them.

But free education works in Germany, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Norway, average €500 a year in France, €1,000 a year in Spain & Switzerland.

In this country education is sneered at by too many.

The below is part of a BBC report.

Poorer students

The other big concern in 2012 was that poorer students would be the hardest hit by the higher fees.
But this has not followed the expected script. It's been the reverse. Instead of deterring disadvantaged students, there are more entering university now than when fees were lower.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Poorer students

The other big concern in 2012 was that poorer students would be the hardest hit by the higher fees.
But this has not followed the expected script. It's been the reverse. Instead of deterring disadvantaged students, there are more entering university now than when fees were lower.

This is from UCAS, dated 30 June

UCAS 30 June deadline for UK higher education shows UK applicants down 4% and EU applicants down 5%

Do you think £9,250 fees are good then?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Poorer students

I also believe that comment from the Beeb was before this bunch of clowns in charge scrapped maintenance grants for students from poorer families and replaced them with...loans. This also discriminates against young people from poorer families.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This is from UCAS, dated 30 June

Do you think £9,250 fees are good then?

IMHO the country should offer a free University place to anyone with talent who wants to study essential degree subjects that will benefit the country and in that I do include Arts and media, anything else and the student would self fund, then the important thing is to put the savings made into the secondary education system to improve the chances of those with talent making the big step to Uni.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
And who voted in the Tories and the Trumps?

Democracy in action innit, no matter how much you or I might like or dislike the end result.

Just goes to show how many ' f#*k everyone else me first' people there are in the world doesn't it .

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I have worked for 30 years and joined a small charity that ran things very badly and unfairly dismissed me after a year of terrible treatment. As a small homeless charity in Brighton, it had the highest rate of tribunals against it per employee in the local area.

This really helps - I've not been in work for over a year and my tribunal is soon.

I'm not a chancer, employers should treat their workers well if they do not want tribunals. This has ruined my career and parts of my life.

How long did you work for them? It sounds like just a year but I didn't think you could make a claim in the first year of employment?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's about time we swept the feckers away and brought in a hard left Stalinist government.

Everything else has failed.

We need gulags and huge tractor factories!

Absolutely. Feed the Tories into a slurry machine and we can live off Soylent Green, although you'd have to take off your chinos and Hush Puppies first, us Lefties do have some culinary standards.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Poorer students

And leaving with ridiculous levels of debt... the levels of tuition fees hasn't had enough time to fully hit home to many, wait until they have finished their courses and get meaningful employment, then we shall see how people feel.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here