Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The WORKERS Party now in compete disarray

abc

Jan 6, 2007
How anyone can see this as a bad thing is unbelievable. An indicator of the Me First world we are now living in thanks to Tories and the Trumps of this world.

A fantastic thing if you are one of the many individuals who abuse the system by making spurious claims against employers using no win/no fee solicitors. Terrible news if you are a small business that simply cant afford to be taken advantage of in this way. Great news, of course, if you are an individual making a genuine claim against a genuinely bad employer.

But why is it beyond the wit of man to come up with a way of stopping the serial claimants looking for a free ride at the expense of others whilst protecting the genuine worker who has been 'abused' and the genuine employer who is creating work but gets nothing but hassle and expense for his/her efforts?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
And who voted in the Tories and the Trumps?

Democracy in action innit, no matter how much you or I might like or dislike the end result.
Yeah but the general public and generally morons so..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Labour in their manifesto said they would scrap tuition fees, now from the safety of failing to win a majority Corbyn has said in reality they couldn't afford to nor did they realise how much money it would cost, so as far as I'm concerned that **** can tweet all he likes but he's as bigger bullshiter as those in charge.

No they didn't. Fake news.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's about time we swept the feckers away and brought in a hard left Stalinist government.

Everything else has failed.

We need gulags and huge tractor factories!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
A fantastic thing if you are one of the many individuals who abuse the system by making spurious claims against employers using no win/no fee solicitors. Terrible news if you are a small business that simply cant afford to be taken advantage of in this way. Great news, of course, if you are an individual making a genuine claim against a genuinely bad employer.

But why is it beyond the wit of man to come up with a way of stopping the serial claimants looking for a free ride at the expense of others whilst protecting the genuine worker who has been 'abused' and the genuine employer who is creating work but gets nothing but hassle and expense for his/her efforts?

Fully agree with you, but I imagine it would be very hard to differentiate, sadly.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
There is a downside to this.

A member of my family is in HR, and said that when people bring cases against a company, the company will often settle out of 'court' because it is cheaper to do so. Their legal fees will often be higher than any settlement, and if the company wins they can't claim back their costs. Therefore people might now bring cases, knowing the likelihood is that they will get a pay-off, with no risk to themselves.

Not all companies can afford to pay people thousands of pounds, charities and small businesses, for example.

Which was equally relevant under the system where a fee needed to be paid before a tribunal started. Just that the pay-offs included that fee.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sir Vince Cable re-tweeted this:

[tweet]890171541530570752[/tweet]

Looks like Sir Vince is getting a bit forgetful in his old age, because he hailed this at the time - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/enterprise-and-regulatory-reform-bill-published

I rarely feel sorry for Lib Dems but having read a number of accounts they were f***** from the minute they joined the coalition. Reality was they would have been forced to go along with something to get something else in at which point the Tories often took credit.

The machine was working against them from day one.

I have little time for any politicians and I struggle with the way voters support parties like football teams.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I have worked for 30 years and joined a small charity that ran things very badly and unfairly dismissed me after a year of terrible treatment. As a small homeless charity in Brighton, it had the highest rate of tribunals against it per employee in the local area.

This really helps - I've not been in work for over a year and my tribunal is soon.

I'm not a chancer, employers should treat their workers well if they do not want tribunals. This has ruined my career and parts of my life.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Grayling complete idiot as justice secretary and now continuing as a complete idiot at transport whilst May wanders round Italy in a pink frock, what the hell did this country do to deserve this ?

Had a democratic election, is this something else that Jeremy would scrap?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

In practice most of the "frivolous" cases always tended to get weeded out or discouraged before they got to a full tribunal hearing - many many cases got dropped early in the process once the claimants had it pointed out to them (by a lawyer, union, CAB or whatever) that their case is weak. As far as I know there was never any hard evidence of the tribunals being clogged up with frivolous claims, as the Tory government and some employer bodies claimed. In any case, from a perspective of justice it's better, in my view, to err on the side of a few so-called frivolous cases getting through, than the alternative which has been many people with genuine claims not being able to afford to access justice and take their employer or ex-employer to tribunal to get that justice.
From that perspective, today's Supreme Court decision is a real landmark decision asserting the rights of the weak against the powerful - the balance of power in the employment relationship is always stacked against the worker; fair access to tribunals is one small redress to that imbalance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here