Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Professional Gardeners

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can the great and wise of NSC give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay a competent gardener an hour for a bit of gardening and pruning but mostly lawn mowing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Can the great and wise of NSC give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay a competent gardener an hour for a bit of gardening and pruning but mostly lawn mowing.

We had a Brinsbury trained guy, knew all about trees, shrubs etc etc, very good but cost a few quid, about £140 a day, that was about a 6 hour day and clearing grass cuttings etc. (in Arundel)

D

Deleted member 2719

We had a Brinsbury trained guy, knew all about trees, shrubs etc etc, very good but cost a few quid, about £140 a day, that was about a 6 hour day and clearing grass cuttings etc. (in Arundel)

I was Brinsbury trained and Brinsbury expelled. (temporarily):hilton:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I think the price will depend on whether or not the gardener is doing it as his business or as someone who wants a bit of cash for the pub at the weekend (which is what i was doing)

D

Deleted member 2719

Paying a gardener by an hourly rate i always thought isn't a good gauge of what will get done, i was very swift and getting my dibber in deep and fast, where as your older guy's dibber to hand speed can be very different.

If you know what i mean.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Looking for someone who will come around on a regular basis rathe than a one hit tidy up!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Paying a gardener by an hourly rate i always thought isn't a good gauge of what will get done, i was very swift and getting my dibber in deep and fast, where as your older guy's dibber to hand speed can be very different.

If you know what i mean.

Good point but I know it takes no longer than 20 mins to cut my lawn!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
[MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] Does this sort of work I believe.

I do indeed.

Lawn mowing I wouldn't quote an hourly rate....three lawnmowers plus strimmer and not cheap equipment.. ..then its a question of how long the grass is...will it be regular work or one off..do they want grass taking away ..how far away...bit of pruning work is a bit vague ..again for me i have some decent equipment that can do a job efficiently and quick....etc etc ...its never an easy answer when someone rings and asks about prices.

If you can find some semi retired chap or someone doing a bit of private work and they will want cash in hand then its always going to be cheaper ..

D

Deleted member 2719

I was doing a private job 2 years ago, mainly cutting the grass but a bit of hedge cutting and weeding for a rich old lady and i was charging £13 an hour but i was using her mower and my hand tools.

Okay, it's just i was charging £12.00/ hour back in the eighties, but i did have a few Honda's rotary's to run, oh how i miss that dust cloud following me around on a dry summer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here