Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for Paddy McNair

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He might be more skilled, but defending at this level as as much about pace and physicality so I would certainly give the nod to Schelotto as a better defender. Bruno is still the best going forward

It’s also about experience and nous, pace is actually less of an issue as we defend deeper.

Schelotto is void of any positional sense from what I’ve seen, but better going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He might be more skilled, but defending at this level as as much about pace and physicality so I would certainly give the nod to Schelotto as a better defender. Bruno is still the best going forward

Funny how we all watch the game and see it differently. I have them the other way round completely. I prefer the rampaging runs of Schelotto going forward, but the positional sense, and just an overall better understanding of how to defend from Bruno.

The "pace" thing as well, I see the opposite to you. In The Championship, when we were on the front foot most weeks, I may agree with you, but when we are sat deeper, leaving very little room in behind us at times, then pace at full back is less important. Whereas, the reverse comes into play, because teams are pushing up on us, especially as we don't pose the threat of a ball over the top to Murray, so the pace to break on a team from wide (winger or overlapping full back) becomes more important as an attacking threat.

Defensively it's Bruno for me. Attacking option I'd go for Schelloto.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Funny how we all watch the game and see it differently. I have them the other way round completely. I prefer the rampaging runs of Schelotto going forward, but the positional sense, and just an overall better understanding of how to defend from Bruno.

The "pace" thing as well, I see the opposite to you. In The Championship, when we were on the front foot most weeks, I may agree with you, but when we are sat deeper, leaving very little room in behind us at times, then pace at full back is less important. Whereas, the reverse comes into play, because teams are pushing up on us, especially as we don't pose the threat of a ball over the top to Murray, so the pace to break on a team from wide (winger or overlapping full back) becomes more important as an attacking threat.

But Bruno is the one of the two that can actually cross the ball !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s also about experience and nous, pace is actually less of an issue as we defend deeper.

Schelotto is void of any positional sense from what I’ve seen, but better going forward.

You’d sell him wouldn’t you OTM? You really don’t rate him at all! I thought he did well overall. He is no Bruno but not many right backs in our price range are. Bruno’s ball control and eye for a pass along with his positional sense are exceptional. It’s just his age and inability to play every week that work against him. I think CH got a good balance between them last season.

The Greyhound is not as useless as your posts on him would suggest....imo.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It doesn't really matter who's better out of Bruno and Schelotto - or which one people on here think is the better. They are likely to be our RBs for 2018-19 - Bruno has probably one more season in his legs, but not playing every match. We got to 15th. place with these two sharing the RB slot - next season they'll be playing with some better players around them, so I'd be very surprised if a new RB is a high priority on TB's shopping list.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Agree with this. In thinking about the season, Schelotto came in and had a run of games when we were really struggling with confidence going forwards. I thought he had such a positive impact on the team in this respect, that he was a bit of a catalyst for making us far more threatening again. Then, I sort of feel everyone got their mojo back and he was no longer that catalyst and did start to be a bit exposed because (ironically I guess) in instigating us attacking more, he was under more threat as a defender.

His impact I might be overstating, but to my mind he made a significant positive contribution to our season, even if ultimately he lost his place toward the end. Reckon that his shortcomings defensively aren't beyond a bit of coaching and experience in this league either. Expecting an improved player next season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It doesn't really matter who's better out of Bruno and Schelotto - or which one people on here think is the better. They are likely to be our RBs for 2018-19 - Bruno has probably one more season in his legs, but not playing every match. We got to 15th. place with these two sharing the RB slot - next season they'll be playing with some better players around them, so I'd be very surprised if a new RB is a high priority on TB's shopping list.
Absolutely, and considering Balogun also plays right back if needed, there is zero chance we are diverting funds to signing another this summer.

mikebha1963

May 13, 2014
Absolutely, and considering Balogun also plays right back if needed, there is zero chance we are diverting funds to signing another this summer.
Agreed, two midfielders high priority I hope, the lad from Sunderland to replace Sidwell and hopfully some one like Delaney two push the other four to strive to get in the team.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Having watched both of the recent NI games, I really can't see what he would bring to our squad - at all.

You can tell that from having watched just two, TWO games for his country? I would have to see him play an awful lt more than that to be sure, in a variety of positions, as he seems to be procient in many, and for his club side too, where he is more used to playing.

Hopefully or scouting team have already done that!

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Is that a new story or tweet ?

very bottom line from article on Back page of the Argus titled Jose eager to show Albion form in Russia.

It says " Albion remain interested in another defender, Liam Moore who Reading value at 15 million, as well as Northern Ireland Midfielder Paddy McNair although the Argus understands no new bids have been submitted in recent days"....

as I mentioned this contradicts the sunderland Echo and Chronicle who say second bid of 3.5 mill was made.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I don't find it so simple to dismiss the penalty against Everton, Stoke's second at the Amex, the cluster**** for Bournemouth's equaliser at home. At that point it seemed that Bruno had just gone defensively, he was being beaten for height and strength and maybe was tired near the end of games so was trying to use his dark arts to defend and came unstuck. Its not just pace, its stamina, toughness in a physical duel, jumping ability. Bruno wins on positional sense, footwork, composure - but that was being shown up as inadequate at that time. I have absolutely no doubt at all that CH brought Schelotto into the first team for purely defensive reasons.

By the end of the season I think the intensity of the premier league caught up with Schelotto and he needed a break, especially after Zaha toyed with him a bit (and perhaps that challenge by the Arsenal player shook him up more than we imagined) and Bruno came back - again I am sure for defensive reasons - but Schelotto has years on his side and time to get that experience and unless we've found an upgrade on both of them I will be surprised if he doesn't start next season as first choice right-back.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
You can tell that from having watched just two, TWO games for his country? I would have to see him play an awful lt more than that to be sure, in a variety of positions, as he seems to be procient in many, and for his club side too, where he is more used to playing.

Hopefully or scouting team have already done that!

I've also seen him play live a fair bit for Sunderland, both before and after his cruciate injury. It's basically the last half a dozen games since he returned from injury, during which time they played him out of position as an attacking midfielder, that he has looked like he was at any sort of decent level. And even that decent level was still nowhere near the quality that we should be looking for, even for a squad player.

Before his injury he was, frankly, woeful - a lot of Sunderland fans were calling him McMare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here