Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sounds like you are already ahead of me! A sub 19 Preston Park is probably the limit of my 5k ability at present. Would love to give the Prom another go on a calm day just to compare and contrast to my best times from 2016.

I'm also keen to give Bevendean and Peacehaven ago too, but getting to Under 3's Football club in Patcham for 9:55 is too tight a squeeze for anywhere other than Preston Park.

Sounds like your training is going well and you are staying to the plan. I read a book on holiday around training schedules and I'm going to try and incorporate hill sprints into my easy Tuesday run up Withdean Park from next week.

I'd love to run more, but I find it hard to juggle family and work commitments so I'm left with 2/3 runs a week unless I have holiday and my highest annual distance covered is 800 miles which I need to improve to get better.

Good luck for your 18:29 effort on the 17th, if I'm around I'll be there and try to keep up if possible.

I'm yet to go sub-19 at all so there's work to be done. Peacehaven is a good opportunity for a quick time I think, despite the giant hill at the start which I inadvertently missed through sheer lateness and the marshalls assuming I was a second lapper. I've got a nice hill session to look forward to this week, I think they're crucial in stamina and strength. The final push through in the final straight. It certainly sounds like you've got far more on your plate than I have, I'm able to keep the schedule clear and just focus on running.

Bring on the Phoenix 10k showdown.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
This is the 2017 NSC short distance challenge, big nuts, ninja and all comers? Ignore PBs and have a 5k or 10k race off. Hopefully [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] can make it. Sort it out. The Phoenix 10k looks a good date. The 5k date needs to be decided by the ninj and the nuts.

Sounds good. Looking forward to the beers afterward this time.

I much prefer my summer speed orientated running than the endurance winter stuff. I just need to get some feeling back into my big toe!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I've got a nice hill session to look forward to this week, I think they're crucial in stamina and strength..

Yeah hill sessions are great for speed as you prob know..Different gradients.. really attacking the up hills resting on the downs. Also attacking the downhills as well as the up..focusing on your cadence keeping it high and not over striding. A few of these will make you a fast mountain goat type whippet like creature.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I completed the Mont Saint Michel Marathon last weekend and thoroughly recommend it. - http://www.marathondumontsaintmichel.com/en/

Beautiful point to point route along the coast of Normandy. - You can see Mont Saint-Michel (the finish) all the way along. It was well organized, easy into Dieppe or Cherbourg and was great to do some of the D-Day landing tours.

My brother who did no training other than one 12 mile run managed to complete it in 4.15 (ages 39) Me being the younger brother trained and only came in 30 mins earlier!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I actually said at the end of Worthing I was never going to run another road 10k again. This was obviously a lie and I'm going to enter Phoenix as soon as I get in to the office. Fully expecting the wooden spoon but the beers are calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cor, some cracking performances on here at various events – well done all.

I was pacing 23 at Hove Park on Saturday, which felt like a race in itself the amount of pressure I felt. Up on the first two kms, then slipped and was bang on at 4km. Fortunately got it bang on and nice to get some thanks from those around me who'd stuck with me.

Little trot out yesterday morning on heavy legs, making 30 miles for the week. I really can't think about properly racing 10km on the road anytime soon – the same distance across the downs or along the beach is a different matter however...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Cor, some cracking performances on here at various events – well done all.

I was pacing 23 at Hove Park on Saturday, which felt like a race in itself the amount of pressure I felt. Up on the first two kms, then slipped and was bang on at 4km. Fortunately got it bang on and nice to get some thanks from those around me who'd stuck with me.

Little trot out yesterday morning on heavy legs, making 30 miles for the week. I really can't think about properly racing 10km on the road anytime soon – the same distance across the downs or along the beach is a different matter however...

Well done. The pacer job looks like a real challenge. Worthing has started using them too. I was hoping (and did) dip under the 21.00 but partly that was because at one point the 21 pacer drew level with me. The shock of this was enough propel me a bit faster. Thinking about it, the pacers will never I guess go all out in the final 'sprint' so as long as you (the runner) have got something left for the final burst there's no need to panic. But as a pacer you probably get quite a few folk overtaking you in the last bit; you become something of a target, Anyway - it's a noble service to perform.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I completed the Mont Saint Michel Marathon last weekend and thoroughly recommend it. - http://www.marathondumontsaintmichel.com/en/

Beautiful point to point route along the coast of Normandy. - You can see Mont Saint-Michel (the finish) all the way along. It was well organized, easy into Dieppe or Cherbourg and was great to do some of the D-Day landing tours.

My brother who did no training other than one 12 mile run managed to complete it in 4.15 (ages 39) Me being the younger brother trained and only came in 30 mins earlier!

Sounds great. I've done the 'D-Day tour' but this was at walking pace with a party of old gits like me or even older (at about the same pace as your brother!). It's a lovely part of the world but of course has huge historical significance too.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Yeah hill sessions are great for speed as you prob know..Different gradients.. really attacking the up hills resting on the downs. Also attacking the downhills as well as the up..focusing on your cadence keeping it high and not over striding. A few of these will make you a fast mountain goat type whippet like creature.

What is the structure of your hills session? Can you do it on a treadmill? :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

My coach puts loads of hill sessions in for me on the treadmill because I am away so much and restricted on outdoor running. Basic principle is usually equal effort/rests, but length/gradient/effort can vary.

Just had a quick look back at my plan for a couple of examples :

15 minute warm up
3 x 5 min at 8% at highest sustainable pace with 5 min jog recovery between each
10 min jog cool down

20 min warm up
6 x 3 min at 5% at 10k pace with 3 min jog recoveries
10 min cool down

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My coach puts loads of hill sessions in for me on the treadmill because I am away so much and restricted on outdoor running. Basic principle is usually equal effort/rests, but length/gradient/effort can vary.

Just had a quick look back at my plan for a couple of examples :

15 minute warm up
3 x 5 min at 8% at highest sustainable pace with 5 min jog recovery between each
10 min jog cool down

20 min warm up
6 x 3 min at 5% at 10k pace with 3 min jog recoveries
10 min cool down

8% seems to be the magic gradient, reading this and a recent running book. Any example of hills with Brighton & Hove with the perfect climb?

I was going to try Withdean Park any other recommendations?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
8% seems to be the magic gradient, reading this and a recent running book. Any example of hills with Brighton & Hove with the perfect climb?

Not strictly B&H but from the gate on the SDW to the trig point at Black Cap is probably about the right gradient, and good for shorter, sharper ones (about 400m I think). The Lewes side of the trig point is steeper, good to alternate them. 20 minute jog from Ditchling Beacon Car Park so perfect warm up and cool down [emoji106][emoji106]If you want to go really hard core, the Tank Tracks (between Ditchling Beacon and Clayton Windmills) are really brutal and much longer........

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Not sure what Snakey Hill is but the run I did up it the weekend before Worthing probably got me round yesterday. Will be doing more hills

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Great day on Sunday, felt anything like running TBH after sitting up watching the events unfold in London until about 2am after getting back from another superb Levellers gig in Worthing. Picked up [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and another mate as the trains looking a bit iffy! Parked up near the aquamarina and walked along to the start line.

My aim was for sub 50, I lost @Guiness Boy and the 50 pacer pretty much from the start, but kept them in my view for the first 4 miles. Felt really strong (but hot hot hot). Overtook @Guiness Boy who gave me plenty of encouragement to push on. I knew I was ever so slightly behind sub 50 so really pushed on from mile 5. Had to wait for the official text and was "over the moon" when it came in an 49.59.............YiiiiPPPPppppPPpppEEEEeeeeeeee. 572/2277.

My watch recorded it as exactly 50.00 but I was concentrating on crossing the line rather than stopping my watch :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1020528143

A big thanks to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for all the support and encouragement.
Worthing 10k 2.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great day on Sunday, felt anything like running TBH after sitting up watching the events unfold in London until about 2am after getting back from another superb Levellers gig in Worthing. Picked up [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and another mate as the trains looking a bit iffy! Parked up near the aquamarina and walked along to the start line.

My aim was for sub 50, I lost @Guiness Boy and the 50 pacer pretty much from the start, but kept them in my view for the first 4 miles. Felt really strong (but hot hot hot). Overtook @Guiness Boy who gave me plenty of encouragement to push on. I knew I was ever so slightly behind sub 50 so really pushed on from mile 5. Had to wait for the official text and was "over the moon" when it came in an 49.59.............YiiiiPPPPppppPPpppEEEEeeeeeeee. 572/2277.

My watch recorded it as exactly 50.00 but I was concentrating on crossing the line rather than stopping my watch :)

A big thanks to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for all the support and encouragement.
View attachment 86057

A very important second. Glad it was on the right side. Well done.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Here's another - Newtimber Hill (West side). About 300m long and around 8%............can park in the road (opposite Saddlescombe farm), in the small car park up the hill or at the Dyke pub car park (15 min jog). Eastern side is longer and steeper, West side is a pretty even climb.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done. The pacer job looks like a real challenge. Worthing has started using them too. I was hoping (and did) dip under the 21.00 but partly that was because at one point the 21 pacer drew level with me. The shock of this was enough propel me a bit faster. Thinking about it, the pacers will never I guess go all out in the final 'sprint' so as long as you (the runner) have got something left for the final burst there's no need to panic. But as a pacer you probably get quite a few folk overtaking you in the last bit; you become something of a target, Anyway - it's a noble service to perform.

I'm normally pretty good at encouraging people through the last km, but I was almost spent by then on Saturday. I was cursing Mike who'd nabbed the 24 pace pole and regretting not going for 25! Hove Park is a strange one because you can't (well I can't anyway) keep a consistent pace with all the ups and downs, so I sort of pace it like I 'race' it, but only dropping the speed a bit. Having said that, I did up the pace a bit too much in the first half of the last km and then eased off MASSIVELY as I approached the line.

Great fun though and very rewarding. I've a mate who PBd yesterday and wants to go for a 5km PB of close to 22 mins on Saturday, so I might have to up my game a bit...

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I used to do a 30 minute hill routine on the treadmill. Start with 5 minutes at 12%, 5 at 6%, 5 at 8%, then 4%, then 6 and finish on 3. Try and run as fast as you can but don't kill yourself the first couple of sessions as it's tough going but you'll get big rewards if you stick with it.

Well done to all Worthing runners sounds like s good day. Hope to make Phoenix my next 10k

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

View attachment 86057

Not a problem mate. Really pleased for you.

NSC wooden spoon for me. Didn't want to mention it yesterday so you could tell your story. See you all at Phoenix where I'll be looking to take a couple of minutes off yesterday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here