Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graham Swann retires from all cricket with immediate effect.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'd not be happy with this timing, perhaps he wants to be home for Xmas?
Don't know the details but hard to find any excuse except outright selfishness.

What if Monty gets injured a Melbourne and can't play in Sydney? Will we not play a spinner?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'd not be happy with this timing, perhaps he wants to be home for Xmas?
Don't know the details but hard to find any excuse except outright selfishness.

What if Monty gets injured a Melbourne and can't play in Sydney? Will we not play a spinner?

Kerrigan & Briggs are in the development squad. I'd imagine one or other will be asked to stay on with the Test guys.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tis a sorry tale all round. I think that this is the last thing Flower and Cook wanted just as they are trying to drag some credibility together to try to halt the slide to a 5-0. Maybe that's why there was just Swann at the press conference, Flower might have said something like " thanks for this, for that you can go out and explain to the media as this is another problem I don't need."

I think he was told or very much expected the chop so went of his own volition, thats fine usually but, in the middle of the series ! The Aussie fielders will have great fun with the team we have left now, they will be sledged as bottlers for ages. We are a joke team, I dread to think what's coming next.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Did he have any choice in the matter? He was clearly going to retire at the end of the tour and there would have been a barrage of questions if he wasn't picked for the final two tests.

Best of luck to him for the future. He has been an excellent player for us during our glory years.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two other points not yet made:

1.Swann also owes it to the fans to see it through. There will be thousands of fans who've spent thousands of pounds flying out to Australia for the Melbourne and Sydney tests, and to have players quitting is deflating for them.

2. What if Monty gets injured? No Swann and no Trott will expose Root. Not ideal.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

1.Swann also owes it to the fans to see it through. There will be thousands of fans who've spent thousands of pounds flying out to Australia for the Melbourne and Sydney tests, and to have players quitting is deflating for them.

2. What if Monty gets injured? No Swann and no Trott will expose Root. Not ideal.

What if his heart is not in it? I don't buy that 'owes it to the fans' business.

Michael Vaughan seems to suggest there is a lack of harmony (perhaps) from his latest tweet. News to come through soon.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Briggs is out there with the deveopment squad & he is part of the ODI squad, I'd imagine they'd look to him. The other man out there is Kerrigan...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If he'd just wanted to save the embarrassment of being dropped, why didn't he just say he wasn't fit and rule himself out ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If he'd just wanted to save the embarrassment of being dropped, why didn't he just say he wasn't fit and rule himself out ?

He would be lying? I don't see the problem myself. The Ashes have been handed over, meekly (not God bless the meek) and the team needs to move on.

Probably not how he planned to bow out, but hey ho.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Let's hope Mathew Upson doesn't announce his retirement when we are 3-0 down at HT in the play offs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Physical injuries are ok with most people, but when players of any sport have mental health issues, it's not acceptable?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
OK we have lost the Ashes, I don't like it, I want to go home and I am taking my ball with me.
the test of a good sportsman is that he keeps a straight face and a stiff upper lip when losing.
good riddance :wanker:

:bigwave:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Do we know the reasons yet? When we know why he has come home, then people can comment.

Yes we do - "I know I'm making the decision for the right reasons," added Swann. "My body doesn't like playing five-day cricket any more and I don't feel I can justify my spot in the team in the latter stages of a game."

So I think people are perfectly entitled to comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here