Our GD " substantially better?
Bmuff -8
Watford + Saints -11
WHU + Newcastle -12
Palace + WBA -15
BHA -16
Swansea -18
Huddrsfld + Stoke -25

I'll give you Huddersfield and Stoke but don't hold yer breath over our GD. With our run-in, it will get progressively worse. ( Beginning of Dec it was -1.....End of January -16.....End of season projected -25 )

Hang on that doesn't make sense:-

The 'but we're 11th' drones couldn't wait to tell us how our goal difference at the end of the season was worth another point.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sorry, my bad that I had not realised we have been winning EVERY week for the last 43 years! Scummers were there for the taking last night, no ifs, no buts, just a wasted opportunity. CH has done a great job here, and we should thank him for what he has done, and TB will back him come what may this season. Whether we survive or not in the Prem, CH will be judged by the first half of next season, he really does need to learn to attack.

Were they there for the taking? They looked a lot better than us second half.

Back to my main point - playing exactly this way away from home got us third, then second in the championship last year. It works for Chris. If you want something different then yeah, sack him. I'm sure Tony will do it when the time is right for him

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is directly linked to to the way we were playing. I've seen a lot of comments on here about individual errors and how bad the midfield was, but if Stephens or Propper receive the ball in the middle and our wingers are in full back positions, Gross had gone missing and our only outlet up front is marked by 3 defenders, it puts them under enormous pressure with very few options for a pass.

Has Gross gone missing or is he trying to cover the space left by BOTH wingers?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Were you there? Let's not muck about, Southampton were dreadful in the first half and rightly booed off by their own fans. A decent side at this level would have buried them before the teams went in for a break - instead we invited them back in to the game.

On last night's performance both teams are going down. It was sub-Championship quality all round.

No, but I watched it. I think we're staying up. It was a lot better performance than we put in at Leeds, or Huddersfield, or Forest, or Norwich, or Newcastle, or Preston, or many other away games last year.

This is how we play away from home. Its got us very few amazing away wins, and barely any sparkling performances, but the overall package saw us 3rd, then 2nd, so something is working.

The last time we were great away from home was under Poyet, but we were more up and down as a side under him, and in the end didn't do as well.

I don't exactly know what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure its sticking with CH and taking the rough with the smooth. I do know that I don't expect much more than these type of performances away from home. We could have easily held on for a win last night and then this board would be full of very happy people. Its paper-thin margins that doesn't deserve this level of angst, really NSC is farcical at the moment.

Like the OP says, was this the first sign of disapproval by the Brighton fans against CH tactics? If it was, its months and months behind NSC, just proving once again how out of touch the loud NSC voices are with the everyday Brighton fan.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Attack attack attack would see us lose the game but we sure could of been more adventurous than that. Especially after getting 1 up and them looking all over the shop at the back.

Saints were poor and there for the taking , even at 1 - 1 I feel with a double attacking sub we would of won that game.

Not sure who we will beat away now we've become all meek and shy.

At least have a bit of a go man !!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Were they there for the taking? They looked a lot better than us second half.

The second half you say? The bit after we should have pushed for a second goal at least, they were in a mess right then, we could have made it three perhaps. But you will blindly toe the party line, fair enough, did you object to protests at the Goldstone too?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, but I watched it. I think we're staying up. It was a lot better performance than we put in at Leeds, or Huddersfield, or Forest, or Norwich, or Newcastle, or Preston, or many other away games last year.

This is how we play away from home. Its got us very few amazing away wins, and barely any sparkling performances, but the overall package saw us 3rd, then 2nd, so something is working.

The last time we were great away from home was under Poyet, but we were more up and down as a side under him, and in the end didn't do as well.

I don't exactly know what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure its sticking with CH and taking the rough with the smooth. I do know that I don't expect much more than these type of performances away from home. We could have easily held on for a win last night and then this board would be full of very happy people. Its paper-thin margins that doesn't deserve this level of angst, really NSC is farcical at the moment.

Like the OP says, was this the first sign of disapproval by the Brighton fans against CH tactics? If it was, its months and months behind NSC, just proving once again how out of touch the loud NSC voices are with the everyday Brighton fan.

Sorry you needed to be there to get the crowd reaction. I was stood right next to the netting that separated us from their fans behind the goal. They were on their own team's back the whole first half, groaning at each mis-placed pass, swearing and eventually booing. In the second the fan reactions - at least around me - swapped over with everyone around me completely frustrated with the tactics, the inability of our midfield to hold the ball or push up and utter disbelief that the completely outclassed March was still on the pitch. The Attack, Attack chant was just a culmination of this. Watching on a stream is NOT the same as being there and you certainly couldn't say that our fans in the ground reacted any differently to how NSC has recently.

Bottom line though is that one or two points could be the difference between relegation and about 14th / 13th this season and last night we dropped two points thanks to sitting back.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
No the musings of some idiots who think they know more about coaching and managing a premier league team then CH. They completely overlooked the double change at half time by Southampton which improved them going forward. But seem content that we abandon defending and end up losing 2-5 so they can say, well we gave it a go, and wasn't it entertaining.

An away point which moves us up to 15th with a home game to come on Saturday.

I would be more worried if I was a Southampton fan, of their 13 games remaining 8 are away from home, and this includes a sequence of four away in a row where points will be hard to come by.

These so called "idiots" can see as plain as the nose on their face that every team in the premier league have worked us out.

And yet we still play 4 4 1 1 for EVERY single game (except the one where we went 3 5 2 someone much have been ordering the Chinese and the formation got swapped) we lack adventure and every substitution is the same striker for a striker left wing for left wing etc.

You watch Saturday is a MUST MUST win even WHU know what team will be picked and what formation we will play.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Except he did."we probably lack that little bit of guile and quality in the final third...I was disappointed with the goal we conceded. I thought it was a very soft goal, particularly for a team that I thought defended resolutely right through the 90 minutes'

The trouble is that quote could be from any game this season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Took 4 Transfer Windows to build a Championship team from Relegation Fodder to Promotion winning. Four that's all.

Did anyone really think that you could build a Premier League team in half that amount of transfer windows. Yes maybe at Man City with unlimited funds at your disposal but not at the smaller clubs in that division.

This season is not about being pretty. It's about grinding out enough points to keep 3 teams below you at the end of the season until a squad capable of playing decent football at this level can be put together.

Brighton won't go down this season but be under no illusions they won't avoid it by much but that's because the PL squad isn't fully assembled yet.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Still don't think Chris has the team he wants,and is carefully managing them up to the standard he thinks they are capable of.The midfield seems very poor at the moment,with it looking like a step too far for Stephens.Just need three teams under us for the rest of the season,and finish the job when the bank account has a healthier balance!Onward and upward.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is directly linked to to the way we were playing. I've seen a lot of comments on here about individual errors and how bad the midfield was, but if Stephens or Propper receive the ball in the middle and our wingers are in full back positions, Gross had gone missing and our only outlet up front is marked by 3 defenders, it puts them under enormous pressure with very few options for a pass.

Very good points. Agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He couldn't fault our performance, that tells you enough, were screwed.
the man at the helm can't see the problem.

Perhaps he should publicly slag them off ? - And then go into training next day and ask the same players he has just slagged off to the Press then ask them to put in more and be better on Saturday ?

Lets see what sort of response he would get from the lads if he did that - Not very good I wouldn't have thought.

What he says to match commentators after a match will not be what he says to players in the dressing room or on the training pitch. Of course he would see any problems he just isn't so foolish as give that ''air time'' on National and International TV.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
This. Expecting to get flamed but we weren't and aren't a Premier League ready side and we are managed by a lovely man with a very limited repertoire. I'm fully expecting us to go down because what we are doing clearly isn't working and we don't have a manager capable of changing it.

nail.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
This is directly linked to to the way we were playing. I've seen a lot of comments on here about individual errors and how bad the midfield was, but if Stephens or Propper receive the ball in the middle and our wingers are in full back positions, Gross had gone missing and our only outlet up front is marked by 3 defenders or standing 20 yards offside , it puts them under enormous pressure with very few options for a pass.

Slightly amended. Otherwise :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here