Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pre- footie pubs back in the day. Where did you go?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Back to the strippers at the Ship, Lewes Road. The show would start around 12:30 with a promise of total nudity after 2:00 which meant no one got back to work in time and were too drunk to do any work anyway.
So, when are we reopening the pub for P&R fans, just for old times sake of course.

I seem to recall a small stage. Wa there also a piano?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I seem to recall a small stage. Wa there also a piano?

Don't remember a piano but the stage was small. The artistes used to walk round the audience with a glass pot for money tips with the promise of a more raunchyperformance if the tips were good.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Goldstone - Springfield (London Road station - not even sure if it is still there), Crown & Anchor (when Leigh Dilley was mine host) and HPT now and then.

Withdean - Crown & Anchor / Brewery Tap

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
What about the Heyworth? Which was before my time by the way. Burrell and Exchange were my regular haunts

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Used to be my local when I was old enough to drink.......................and a bit before. :whistle:
The Ship was my local too from about 72-late 80s. I remember telling my dad it was my local and he was horrified. He said it had a bad rep from when he was a lad.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Ship was my local too from about 72-late 80s. I remember telling my dad it was my local and he was horrified. He said it had a bad rep from when he was a lad.

was there a pub called Royal Hussar or something similar almost next door?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Used to have a drink in the Southern Cross (I think it was called?) when we lived in Portslade - then got the bus from just round the corner by the rec.
When we moved up to Dyke Rd it was the Dyke Road Tavern then walk down.

On the occasions I drove down to Withdean it was always the Preston Brewery Tap because I drank there as a student.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

I went there from 1976 till the mid 80's, surely I would have bumped into you at some point.
Dennis was the landlord at the beginning of my time and then Fred and Steph from London took over.
That is when the strippers started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here