Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
No offense but I know when your name comes up you will HATE anything and everything mainstream. To call Oldman's performance " passable " is ridiculous and negates any valid points you may make imo

Fair enough.
I rather liked Paddington 2 though.
I suppose an actor can only deal with the material given to them and the tone created around them, but as the only real performer in the film I didn’t find how he did it evoke great emotion in me. The costume was very good and he wasn’t bad within it - it was an effective physical performance -, I just wonder if Oldman may have had licence to make it more subtle and intriguing.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Fair enough.
I suppose an actor can only deal with the material given to them and the tone created around them, but as the only real performer in the film I didn’t find how he did it evoke great emotion in me. The costume was very good and he wasn’t bad within it - it was an effective physical performance -, I just wonder if Oldman may have had licence to make it more subtle and intriguing.

Someone really does have to be a grumpy so and so to dislike Paddington 2. It was a wonderfully fun film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair enough.

Fair enough mate P2 was indeed lovely and a bravo show from Hugh Grant

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saw Downsizing yesterday, the new film with Matt Damon. Decent enough, although not what I was expecting from the trailer. Quirky and fun first third, then turns pretty thoughtful/serious, focused more on environmental aspects and relationships.

Suspect The Post will be next for me. Not desperately keen to see it, not least I don't know much about the background to the story itself. Sounds though like it does cover the basics at the start?

It does, great storytelling from Spielberg as you would expect

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I cannot even begin to describe how good Gary Oldman's acting performance was in Darkest Hour. The best I have seen for a long time. I would rate the film an 88 out of 100

Hi Uncle Spielberg,

We watched Darkest Hour today. It's an exceptional movie, an incredible performance by Oldman, with great performances from Ben Mendelsohn and Ronald Pickup. I'm not one for picking historical holes, so will simply rely on two life long Churchill experts and biographers who said on Radio 4 ths week that it was a magnificent portrayal of Churchill and of those weeks.

The scene on the Underground was so moving.

90%.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hi Uncle Spielberg,

We watched Darkest Hour today. It's an exceptional movie, an incredible performance by Oldman, with great performances from Ben Mendelsohn and Ronald Pickup. I'm not one for picking historical holes, so I will simply rely on two life long Churchill experts and biographers who said on Radio 4 ths weel that it was a magnificent portrayal of Churchill and those weeks.

The scene on the Underground was ridiculously moving.

90%.

I agree Oldman was ridiculously good but the whole cast was. The underground scene has got a lot of derision but for me it was an artistic licence to make a point. It was a film of reverence to Churchill in many ways but also critical in many ways. I thought it was marvelous. I have upgraded it to 91 out of 100 on a second viewing. The Post got 86 out of 100

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree Oldman was ridiculously good but the whole cast was. The underground scene has got a lot of derision but for me it was an artistic licence to make a point. It was a film of reverence to Churchill in many ways but also critical in many ways. I thought it was marvelous. I have upgraded it to 91 out of 100 on a second viewing. The Post got 86 out of 100

I want to see it again already. I always ignore the deriders, the same with Dunkirk, and go by how I feel.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am hoping for the best for this but not really feeling it from the trailer it is ok but not wow. Spielberg for me makes great films but I think the genious films are in the past. Cannot see another Schindler's List. ET, Close Encounters or Saving Private Ryan are forthcoming. Hope I am wrong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSp1dM2Vj48&t=10s

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched a few films over the weekend.

Suburbicon.
Bit of a strange one. I did enjoy it but not overly and I wouldn't watch it again. 5/10.

Downsizing.
I really enjoyed this, more so than the Mrs.
The first half hour was really good, kept us both interested, the rest of the film was only really held up by the comic acting of the Vietnamese woman. 6.5/10

Blade runner 2049.
Visually stunning and some great sounds to set the mood in each scene. Very slow going though. Not the classic it should've been but still a very good film. 7/10

Thor Ragnarok.
Really wasn't expecting much from this but I'd say it's probably one of my favourite Marvel movies. Maybe a tad too much comedy shoehorned in, but visually very good and I love Cate Blanchett, especially in a skin tight pvc suit! 7.5/10

Murder on the Orient Express.
Absolute rubbish. I was expecting so much more from what looked like a great cast but it totally disappointed both of us. No suspense, no tension, and we didn't care who did it. 3/10

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Having never watched The West Wing, I'm a relative newcomer to Aaron Sorkin; Molly's Game, nominated for best adapted screenplay, is fantastic stuff.

The Post was very good too; won't win anything Oscar-wise but Meryl Streep in particular took my breath away. WHAT an actor.

You don't need to have a background in either the Nixon presidency or poker, for either film, by the way...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would say Spielberg has made some great films still. Bridge of Spies and the post are excellent. Just not at the top. Loved War Horse thought that was an incredible version of the tale but last masterpiece for me was Munich. That was an incredible film

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We saw Early Man today.

Everything you'd expect from Aardman.
It would probably take 5 or 6 watches to get every joke.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We saw Early Man today.

Everything you'd expect from Aardman.
It would probably take 5 or 6 watches to get every joke.

Not sure about this but saw Shawn the Sheep over Xmas and it was bloody excellent

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I listened to Kermode reviewing this the other day and it does sound like it's worth any entrance fee. Is it stop-motion or animated CGI?
Stop motion but there's some expansive backdrops which are CGI.

Not sure about this but saw Shawn the Sheep over Xmas and it was bloody excellent
Shawn was so funny, the whole restaurant scene was brilliant.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Stop motion but there's some expansive backdrops which are CGI.

Shawn was so funny, the whole restaurant scene was brilliant.

I was surprised how good it was

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was surprised how good it was

Nah I was a big fan of the TV show, the kids knew they could butter me up by watching it. :lol:
Early Man is similar enough, it is just 90 minutes of Aardman.
If that's enough for you then you'll enjoy the film.

There's a joke with a gate.
It's telegraphed from the very moment it's put into motion, and yet I still laughed a the oh so obvious pay off, solely because it was 'from the makers of Wallace and Grommit'.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Saw The Post, another film with no action (apart from the opening Vietnam sequence) an d a dialogue based film. However I found the storytelling riveting with the tension building slowly as the film progressed. As usual very good performances from Streep and Hanks, with Streep particularly good as the nervous and unsure head of The Post.

A film set in the past which clearly has meaning today on the freedom of the press.

I would place this film just below The Darkest Hour, but only by a slither. Recommended

Just seen it - superb performances from Streep and Hanks - excellent movie all round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here