Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I see some people have moved on from predicting economic armageddon, cliff edges, grounded planes, drawbridges, destroying our children's future or the public changing their minds to .. there won't be much different. :lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
cheap foreign imports??? what do you think freedom of movement is :rolleyes: GIVE UP WE'RE LEAVING :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:
regards
DR

Minimum wage places a limit on how cheap that labour can be though, and we have laws about how young that person who does the work is, how long they can work, the working conditions, the health and safety of the worker.
Britain becoming more competetive with the world, would place pressure on all these things to be reduced, if we want to make stuff here that is.

Jan 30, 2008
Minimum wage places a limit on how cheap that labour can be though, and we have laws about how young that person who does the work is, how long they can work, the working conditions, the health and safety of the worker.
Britain becoming more competetive with the world, would place pressure on all these things to be reduced, if we want to make stuff here that is.
OF COURSE IT DOES, GET A GRIP !:rolleyes:
regards
DR

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just you wait, we'll be importing them into the UK soon as part of a post Brexit Chinese trade deal

if there were demand for them, they'd import them today. just like all the other stuff that comes in from China, from knock offs to your iPhone.

tariffs put a cost on somthing, they dont eliminate something from the market. if it costs less after import duty, and the demand is there, we'll have them. then there's the quality proposition, we seemed to be doing very well exporting Land Rovers, Jags and others to the rest of the world. we therefore compete by being better, not on price.

on a related point made earlier about cheap imports seems to ignore the state subsidised French and Italian manufacturers that killed of our admittedly poorer quality local motor industry, and later cheaper cars from Spain and Czech that stifled recovery. its no coincidence that the demise of UK manufacturing was in the decade after EEC, last year we saw how EU rules meant we couldn't intervene in steel manufacturers, yet people want to claim its some sort of saviour for the remaining industry.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I see some people have moved on from predicting economic armageddon, cliff edges, grounded planes, drawbridges, destroying our children's future or the public changing their minds to .. there won't be much different. :lolol:

I don't think they have. People just focus on different s aspects of this car crash. Or has the issue of the Irish border been solved? Just because the media move on does not mean an issue is sorted, it merely shows another problem has been identified.

Or did I miss someone explaining why the Irish border and lack of access to customs union is fine after two papers last week?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't think they have. People just focus on different s aspects of this car crash. Or has the issue of the Irish border been solved? Just because the media move on does not mean an issue is sorted, it merely shows another problem has been identified.

Or did I miss someone explaining why the Irish border and lack of access to customs union is fine after two papers last week?

I know some people luv a moan but they can't have it both ways. Cliff Edge, closed borders etc or gentle transition to not much difference?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

They whinge and whine like the little biatches they are,until somebody shows them up for the idiots they are.Then they find something new from the EU guide for idiots to whinge and whine about........ ad infinitum.No wonder the weather's so bad with all these wet sacks about.punish:.Should be sent as our negotiating team,then Barmier would throw us out.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Who I am saying not much difference? No one is are they?

I can't be bothered to trawl back through the entire thread but just today post #34420 seems to be interpreting our negotiating position as not much difference in two big areas. After setting up endless strawman positions forcasting doomsday scenarios some remainers now suggest any talk of transition arrangements or compromise is a defeat/sell out.

For the umpteenth time, the only time we can make a reasonable assessment is when the final deal has been agreed or very close to being agreed.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It's taken Macron some while,but it's snout in the trough time.Slagged of the nepotism in French and EU political appointments all through the election,but now he's given his mum,sorry,wife an office,three staff and a make-believe job from his Presidential allowance.Wonder if her kids are the advisers ???

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Only with the Opel/Vauxhall Zippo.The snobby attitude of some to Far Eastern car imports is a bit dated now.If China and Japan can reach the moon,I'm certain they can produce luxury cars.

You seem to be going off on some self-induced tangent - point me towards someone being snobby about far eastern cars. 'Low cost cars from China' was mentioned simply as an example of how products produced by cut price labour at very low cost and imported without tariffs - or dumped - in the UK with would damage industry and seriously reduce employment. It was an illustration, that's all.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I have absolutely no idea what you're on about,no change there.

This has been an occasional issue from that long-ago day when you couldn't understand what was wrong about saying the "EU border will move from Greece to Syria".

Would you like to defend that bit of nonsense again or did it eventually percolate through?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You seem to be going off on some self-induced tangent - point me towards someone being snobby about far eastern cars. 'Low cost cars from China' was mentioned simply as an example of how products produced by cut price labour at very low cost and imported without tariffs - or dumped - in the UK with would damage industry and seriously reduce employment. It was an illustration, that's all.

I was replying to a post from HT,are you his alter ego and have got confused again?If you want snobbery about non-EU produced cars,how about posts 34417,34440,34445 just from today.Actually,a touch of that EU xenophobia/racism creeping in again.???

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This has been an occasional issue from that long-ago day when you couldn't understand what was wrong about saying the "EU border will move from Greece to Syria".

Would you like to defend that bit of nonsense again or did it eventually percolate through?

You still haven't got over that have you?I'm sure you could understand it if you looked at a map.Can you get out of your front door without sat-nav?Perhaps you should take a holiday to Turkey and the locals could show you the border.
Sits back and waits for the usual 'Your punctuation is worse than a year one child and I'm going to thcream and thcream until you say the BBC is wonderful and you are all racists and nazis :tantrum:'.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Australians allowed manufacturers to dump stock from China and Korea, as a consequence Toyota, Mitsubishi and Ford factories have all gone. Liam Fox take note

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I can't be bothered to trawl back through the entire thread but just today post #34420 seems to be interpreting our negotiating position as not much difference in two big areas. After setting up endless strawman positions forcasting doomsday scenarios some remainers now suggest any talk of transition arrangements or compromise is a defeat/sell out.

For the umpteenth time, the only time we can make a reasonable assessment is when the final deal has been agreed or very close to being agreed.

Yes, but we are hearing about the intent of our negotiations, I am wondering how you would feel about having a court that is not the ECJ, but is in effect, and not having EU law automatically become EU law, but instead have a vote on every piece in Parliament and no doubt pass it all anyway, like the Swiss do?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here