Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York - best things to do in 2 days

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Unlike the OP we've got a little more time, probably not enough though (5 days) but as long as I keep the sauce in check we're quite dynamic so should get a lot done. Thanks for your help

Go up the Empire State, Top of The Rock or One Tower at an hour or so before sunset, then you'll get two views one in the day & one in the evening.

Empire State Building to me is incredible, it's worth paying the extra to get to the very high viewing platform,

Go to the Flat Iron Building, which is iconic, I went to Eat Italy across the road, ordered Nutella pancakes, sat in Madison Square Park & took it all in.

I love it over there. Probably as it's so different to the sleepy town I've lived in for years. Enjoy.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Probably been mentioned, but the Staten island Ferry is good. It's free and sails from the southern tip of Manhattan past the statue of liberty.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens followed by dinner at Frankies Spuntino (drinks at the bar in Prime Meats before, which is two doors down, I'll keep bringing this up until someone goes!) for the sage and hot sausage pasta dish.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Probably been mentioned, but the Staten island Ferry is good. It's free and sails from the southern tip of Manhattan past the statue of liberty.

And no security searches and long queues that you would do if taking the tourist boat from Battery Park. You get a fine view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhatten skyline for free. The money you save can be used for something else.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If getting the Staten Island ferry, and you aren't planning to do anything on Staten Island, just run round and get straight back on to go back.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As an ex resident can't argue with anything on here.

Lesser known but really good things to do if you fancy going a bit more native:-

- South St Seaport. The closest thing in NYC to having a decent beer by the water.
- Riverside Park. Especially in the early evening. Way better than Central Park, especially if you are staying anywhere near the Upper West Side.

Enjoy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you are there for New Years Eve do an evening Hudson river cruise with food and drinks included.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Plenty to see and do over Christmas and New Year in New York.

Another vote for Foleys and, if you have time, pay a visit to Jones Wood Foundry (my local), a Brit Pub on the Upper East Side which does great food including Bangers and Mash and Toad in the Hole

A couple of good live music venues - 11th Street Bar and Rockwood Music Hall

Enjoy NYC!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
:bounce:

Off to Manhattan next month, so any more tips? Think we have most of the obvious stuff sorted, so anything a little quirky of particular interest.

I guess sport wise, its only baseball that's in season in August?

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
:bounce:

Off to Manhattan next month, so any more tips? Think we have most of the obvious stuff sorted, so anything a little quirky of particular interest.

I guess sport wise, its only baseball that's in season in August?

Now u have been what is ur advice for someone going next week for 4 nights!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Now u have been what is ur advice for someone going next week for 4 nights!

You lucky fooker!! New York in the freezing cold is absolutely my favourite time.

A long walk around Central Park is No.1 - but when it snowed one year and the mayor shut the roads to all but Police and Taxis, we walked from 116th right down to Battery Park - then back up to Central Park via the East Side. Took us about 8 hours!!

Have a great time. I love New York.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You lucky fooker!! New York in the freezing cold is absolutely my favourite time.

A long walk around Central Park is No.1 - but when it snowed one year and the mayor shut the roads to all but Police and Taxis, we walked from 116th right down to Battery Park - then back up to Central Park via the East Side. Took us about 8 hours!!

Have a great time. I love New York.

8 hours ? Obviously stopped a lot ! Great walk though......done it myself, just followed Broadway basically.

Central Park is brilliant, and even better in the snow.

Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Centre) instead of Empire State Building for city views. New World Trade Centre is fabulous, have a drink at the bar at the top, superb views of the river and Statue of Liberty in the distance. Go to the museum as well, hugely poignant. Go over to Jersey City for shopping (lower taxes), Woodbury Common outlet stores (shuttle bus takes an hour) if you want proper bargains (not much in Manhattan, although Century 21, next to the WTC site, is worth a visit).

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
8 hours ? Obviously stopped a lot ! Great walk though......done it myself, just followed Broadway basically.

Central Park is brilliant, and even better in the snow.

Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Centre) instead of Empire State Building for city views. New World Trade Centre is fabulous, have a drink at the bar at the top, superb views of the river and Statue of Liberty in the distance. Go to the museum as well, hugely poignant. Go over to Jersey City for shopping (lower taxes), Woodbury Common outlet stores (shuttle bus takes an hour) if you want proper bargains (not much in Manhattan, although Century 21, next to the WTC site, is worth a visit).

All of the above is correct to the letter!

Yes, we stopped off for a few coffees on the way, plus and a long lunch and the Staten Island ferry and back. :smile:

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
It’s not that cold in New York at the mo.

Empire State, Top of the Rock, Time Sq, loads of shopping, Statue of Liberty all great.

But the one must do is the 9/11 memorial and the museum. Incredibly moving.

TB

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Obviously the usual stuff mentioned above but also check out the High Line; city park suspended on old train track through the meat packing district.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Obviously the usual stuff mentioned above but also check out the High Line; city park suspended on old train track through the meat packing district.
Good... but effin cold, that breeze whips in off the river, we walked it on new years day a few years back.

Grand Central and the oyster bar underneath.

Keens restaurant in midtown.

Coney Island on the subway.... iconic skyline.

Bryant Park this time of year, really good festive vibe and ice rink.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here