Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
News on the Rogue Runners. A friend, Johnjoe, saw one of their shirts in a charity shop with Simon across the back. Shirley, if that belongs to our [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION], it must be worth a fair bit of dosh. Any purchaser could then get it signed before framing and hanging above the telly. $$€€££

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great work all round fellas, especially HT with a sub 20 and welcome [MENTION=12929]sjamesb3466[/MENTION]. Best thread on NSC. Gradually inching my now even fatter arse off the crock’s bench with a couple of 25 mile weeks, so hoping to get back to something like normal when I get back from hols next week.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great work all round fellas, especially HT with a sub 20 and welcome [MENTION=12929]sjamesb3466[/MENTION]. Best thread on NSC. Gradually inching my now even fatter arse off the crock’s bench with a couple of 25 mile weeks, so hoping to get back to something like normal when I get back from hols next week.

I must try harder 15 miles in a month is a tad lazy.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Welcome to the thread [MENTION=12929]sjamesb3466[/MENTION] - I look forward to you joining the rest of us in announcing injury news! :thumbsup:

10k is a tough distance. It's too far to run at 5k pace, but it's not far enough to want to drop the pace too much. It's high speed for a longer distance and I've only run a couple of good 10k races. I've got my ideas how to work on it before racing [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] over the distance again and Strava is going to betray my secrets but generally speaking, my favourite distances are 5km because you know what you've got to do - and Half Marathon because it's a proper run which you can get yourself into as the run develops.

I'm going to go scouting for new running routes this afternoon, I can't run until my stitches come out because I need to limit the activity of my elbow so I'll go for a long walk instead.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
5k pace for 6k, 3k of feeling sick, bomb it for the last 1k but realise you’ve only got enough in the tank for 700m and stagger over the line.
.... and I thought that was just my unique strategy!

It got me a good time but left me vowing to never do 10k again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
10-15 seconds off per mile?

Yes off each mile. You're a very good club runner if you can run a 10k at 5k season best time multiplied by 2 plus one minute. That equates to 10 seconds a mile.

For example Mo Farah ran a 10k about 50 seconds faster than double his 5k time. So 10-15 seconds is probably pushing it for you and definitely the likes of me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes off each mile. You're a very good club runner if you can run a 10k at 5k season best time multiplied by 2 plus one minute. That equates to 10 seconds a mile.

For example Mo Farah ran a 10k about 50 seconds faster than double his 5k time. So 10-15 seconds is probably pushing it for you and definitely the likes of me.

Spot on. 15s/m minimum I reckon

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
News on the Rogue Runners. A friend, Johnjoe, saw one of their shirts in a charity shop with Simon across the back. Shirley, if that belongs to our [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION], it must be worth a fair bit of dosh. Any purchaser could then get it signed before framing and hanging above the telly. $$€€££

Hmm - strange - not mine, that’s in my drawer. I can only think of one other Simon in RRs - I’ll ask him. Can I ask where the shop is?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hmm - strange - not mine, that’s in my drawer. I can only think of one other Simon in RRs - I’ll ask him. Can I ask where the shop is?

The mystery deepens. I'll look into it, when his exams finish. It's obviously worth nothing now that you've exposed it as a non NSC runners shirt.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
10k? I just run 'em as fast as I can, then give it the beans when I see the finish!

Junior Orange is moving up the rankings in my house, a new pb at junior parkrun today with sub-6 minute kilometers means he is now officially faster than the lovely Mrs Orange! :D

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Busy weekend, by the looks of it so, to summarise:

Welcome [MENTION=12929]sjamesb3466[/MENTION] – as Dazzer says, best thread on the board
Well done to the runners and triathletes – super effort all round
I HATE 10ks too – I think most people know that by now!
All the best to those on the injury bench, whether just arrived or getting ready to depart.

I missed parkrun due to a day out with Mrs B, otherwise I would almost certainly have been at HP. Only running I did over the weekend was 1.2 miles straight after 55 miles on the bike. Legs feeling it this morning so off for a swim later, equipped with my 735xt. I fear I'll become one of those annoying people who starts pacing around the house because they need to do 10,000 steps a day, thanks to the bloody step counter on it. At least I turned off the function that tells you to move ever hour, or whatever. Most disconcerting as you're sat in the boozer trying to enjoy a few pints of Guinness!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Busy weekend, by the looks of it so, to summarise:

Welcome [MENTION=12929]sjamesb3466[/MENTION] – as Dazzer says, best thread on the board
Well done to the runners and triathletes – super effort all round
I HATE 10ks too – I think most people know that by now!
All the best to those on the injury bench, whether just arrived or getting ready to depart.

I missed parkrun due to a day out with Mrs B, otherwise I would almost certainly have been at HP. Only running I did over the weekend was 1.2 miles straight after 55 miles on the bike. Legs feeling it this morning so off for a swim later, equipped with my 735xt. I fear I'll become one of those annoying people who starts pacing around the house because they need to do 10,000 steps a day, thanks to the bloody step counter on it. At least I turned off the function that tells you to move ever hour, or whatever. Most disconcerting as you're sat in the boozer trying to enjoy a few pints of Guinness!

Are you doing the full or half Ironman? Either is too much for me. Sounds like your training is going well.

I've decided to have 6 weeks off the booze and take the Bewl Sprint Tri very seriously. No Guinness for me. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] has upped the stakes.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Are you doing the full or half Ironman? Either is too much for me. Sounds like your training is going well.

I've decided to have 6 weeks off the booze and take the Bewl Sprint Tri very seriously. No Guinness for me. [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] has upped the stakes.

Full thing, Gaffer – no half measures in Tenby. Plus, if i'm going to do this thing, I've got to go all in. Although I can see myself doing more – bit like marathons, I think. Training is going ok – yesterday was a mental milestone for me getting near to halfway. The distances just build from here on in, so I just hope I can cope with the gradual increases. Just come back from the pool and 2,400m, with plenty in the tank, which was a relief. Longest swim ever and more than I thought I would've done a couple of years ago.

I saw your stats on Strava from the weekend – very RAPID. It's almost as if you recorded the bike leg in the 'run' profile.

Oh... :lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Full thing, Gaffer – no half measures in Tenby. Plus, if i'm going to do this thing, I've got to go all in. Although I can see myself doing more – bit like marathons, I think. Training is going ok – yesterday was a mental milestone for me getting near to halfway. The distances just build from here on in, so I just hope I can cope with the gradual increases. Just come back from the pool and 2,400m, with plenty in the tank, which was a relief. Longest swim ever and more than I thought I would've done a couple of years ago.

I saw your stats on Strava from the weekend – very RAPID. It's almost as if you recorded the bike leg in the 'run' profile.

Oh... :lol:

I remember you telling me now. Hilly, hilly Tenby.

How do you seperate the three disciplines and transitions on a Garmin? [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] managed to do it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I remember you telling me now. Hilly, hilly Tenby.

How do you seperate the three disciplines and transitions on a Garmin? [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] managed to do it.
You just choose the activity profile. Each one is different and - until today - I've only used one model.

I don't think you can do it retrospectively though...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here