Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Brilliantly, I have turned on Eurosport, and they are showing Flèche Wallonne right now, followed by the Tour of Turkey and then LBL live. Thank God it's raining outside!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Hi All,

Been helpfully pointed to here to ask advice on buying a hybrid bike to join the family who now ride bikes to school/park/very occasional New Forest type stuff and have been tracking these two.

Marin San Rafael http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201076930405?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
and
Scott sub 40. eBay item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331186828971&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Both on eBay at £150

I'm on the bigger side of medium build if that makes any odds, but any thoughts or concerns from the wiser amongst us would be appreciated. I'm minded towards the Scott at the moment..

Cheers

R

:)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Rowdey, for £150 either is worth a punt but the important thing is to get the right size. Went with someone to buy a bike recently and was surprised to see which bike was better despite being same 'size'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=230]Rowdey[/MENTION] the pic isn't great from eBay to my phone.
But if the Marin does have front suspension its out.
Suspension is more hinderence than help on tarmac.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

It does.. As a motorcyclist, i'd kinda hoped that my historic dislike of cycling's 'jar and shaking' on surfaces would be resolved by front suspension and a suspension seat post..? expecting too much maybe..

Was due to go and look at the Scott today, but he's just let let me know it's gone already.. boo..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lolol: I've got a new formulae for predicting winners.

Lay right into certain riders, you know, really really slate 'em, then watch 'em win the next big races.

Gutted for Dan Martin. What a place to crash out. Nothing against Gerrans, but Dan Martin would have won that at a canter I reckon.

Fair play to Simon, nice French in the post race interview. How do you say " Ah look...." in French? Something regarde I'm sure.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Even if the suspension can be switched off?

Nice to see Cav bring it home. Bit of a bundle that one.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rudy Molard UPDATE:

16th, 12secs behind the winner and 1 place behind Mollema.

Don't say you haven't been told :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It does.. As a motorcyclist, i'd kinda hoped that my historic dislike of cycling's 'jar and shaking' on surfaces would be resolved by front suspension and a suspension seat post..? expecting too much maybe..

Was due to go and look at the Scott today, but he's just let let me know it's gone already.. boo..
If you're riding with the family you'll not be reaching James Bond martini speeds.

The suspension, esp on an 'off the peg' hybrid, really doesn't do much on a mildly bumpy road, but it will dissipate the energy you're using to go forward.
Basically the bike is pushing down into the road, not across the surface.
Save the money and buy a comfy saddle.
Any occasional New Forest trips, something we do too, won't make the suspension worthwhile.
I'd prefer to ride my road bike with beefier tyres on those tracks, they are not 'off-road'.

Even if the suspension can be switched off?
Got to be switched off, begging the question why have it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: I've got a new formulae for predicting winners.

Lay right into certain riders, you know, really really slate 'em, then watch 'em win the next big races.

Gutted for Dan Martin. What a place to crash out. Nothing against Gerrans, but Dan Martin would have won that at a canter I reckon.

Fair play to Simon, nice French in the post race interview. How do you say " Ah look...." in French? Something regarde I'm sure.
I'm not so sure Martin had the ability to go again, he wasn't riding like a man who was going to crack on.
Naturally I was hoping it was a 1-2 ploy with Slagter, but the Gerrans surge looked pretty powerful.

Ty's gonna have a field day!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***CALLING ALL SPOKE DOCTORS***

After one spoke had worked itself very loose.
If I were to convince myself the whole wheel is a bit twangy, how much damage can I do with a half turn tightening on every spoke?

To my knowledge it's never been done before, which will be years of use.
The spokes are far from rigid.
The wheels do feel a little 'springy', but that could just be me over thinking.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
***CALLING ALL SPOKE DOCTORS***

After one spoke had worked itself very loose.
If I were to convince myself the whole wheel is a bit twangy, how much damage can I do with a half turn tightening on every spoke?

To my knowledge it's never been done before, which will be years of use.
The spokes are far from rigid.
The wheels do feel a little 'springy', but that could just be me over thinking.

Do it! I think a tight but true wheel will just feel uncomfortable and have the potential to buckle at the slightest knock!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do it! I think a tight but true wheel will just feel uncomfortable and have the potential to buckle at the slightest knock!
Now I'm really confused.

Should that start 'don't do it'?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its as if you know me!!.

Just be grateful I won't be tightening them with a club hammer.
(oh I can find a way, its my lucky hammer)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm not so sure Martin had the ability to go again, he wasn't riding like a man who was going to crack on.
Naturally I was hoping it was a 1-2 ploy with Slagter, but the Gerrans surge looked pretty powerful.

Ty's gonna have a field day!!

Mate I think I'll just be content with a wry grin on this one.

It's been damn funny watching it all unfold before our eyes though. :thumbsup:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Giro field is looking a little lite.
I predict 3 weeks of [MENTION=4800]Tyrone Biggums[/MENTION] baiting over Cadel (all in the best possible taste) until Quintana takes the jersey off him.

The Tour with Froome, Nibs, and booooo Contador looks like it could be a battle royale with 3 very strong teams.

I feel I can only give mimimum support to Cadel as I'm Green Edge and Cadel rides for some Yanks I'm lead to believe.

Naturally I'll be waiting on 1066's "tips" i.e who's not riding in a positive manner before I outlay any coin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here