Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] [Boxing] Saunders stripped of WBO and refused licence

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Absolutely deserved after ducking and dodging fights, his recent shenanigans and especially the failed drug test (ephedrine).

Sneaky sneaky by Eddie too, Warren will be LIVID.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The different drug testing rules & associates is mental too.
There should be one independent agency with one set of rules for boxers.

Rematch between Saunders and our Eubank Jr could be on the cards at some point not too far away.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would assume that it is only one of the joke boards that have refused him a licence and others will grant it still. I think the boards should get together to agree on 1 drug enforcement board and 1 licence granting board. but it wont happen. with all of the boards being equally represented.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I would assume that it is only one of the joke boards that have refused him a licence and others will grant it still.

Our very own board is the 'joke board', in my opinion.

And Eddie could have brought the fight to the UK and allowed Saunders to continue.
But Saunders is Frank Warren's fighter, and Eddie Hearn had the opportunity to essentially turn his main competitions golden goose into a dodo.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Our very own board is the 'joke board', in my opinion.

And Eddie could have brought the fight to the UK and allowed Saunders to continue.
But Saunders is Frank Warren's fighter, and Eddie Hearn had the opportunity to essentially turn his main competitions golden goose into a dodo.

Surely Fury is Warren's golden goose? However, it could be seen as a little shot back after Warren's 'interference' in the AJ/Wilder fight.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Rematch between Saunders and our Eubank Jr could be on the cards at some point not too far away.

One set of rules? this is professional boxing!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As I understand it, it was VADA which Saunders failed. This is a voluntary testing body which Saunders signed up to in addition to the regular testing. Besides, the rules don’t seem to be that difficult to follow.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
As I understand it, it was VADA which Saunders failed. This is a voluntary testing body which Saunders signed up to in addition to the regular testing. Besides, the rules don’t seem to be that difficult to follow.

Exactly, if you are an athlete and its your career on the line if you fail a drugs test you would be ridiculously meticulous about ensuring that you don't break the rules that you have signed up to. All off the shelf or prescribed substances are labelled with their ingredients and if you were unsure of the source where you got something from you simply wouldn't take it.

Surely if a banned substance is found in your system then you should be responsible for it, no matter how it got there.

Its also ridiculous for a sports person to sign up to a testing regime (i.e. VADA), receive the list of banned substances, test positive and then claim that they shouldn't be banned because the substance isn't banned outside of competition with an other authority. If Billy Joe had no intention of keeping within the VADA rules then why did he sign up to it in the first place.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Failed drugs test'

Bicycle Boxing - now there's a sport.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly, if you are an athlete and its your career on the line if you fail a drugs test you would be ridiculously meticulous about ensuring that you don't break the rules that you have signed up to. All off the shelf or prescribed substances are labelled with their ingredients and if you were unsure of the source where you got something from you simply wouldn't take it.

Surely if a banned substance is found in your system then you should be responsible for it, no matter how it got there.

Its also ridiculous for a sports person to sign up to a testing regime (i.e. VADA), receive the list of banned substances, test positive and then claim that they shouldn't be banned because the substance isn't banned outside of competition with an other authority. If Billy Joe had no intention of keeping within the VADA rules then why did he sign up to it in the first place.

Quite. I understand there’s also been other cases like this at the same gym with lesser known boxers. Seems to me they thought they’d found a loop hole where they could cheat.....but hadn’t.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Besides. Goading and mocking vulnerable and desperate people is pretty low and cowardly. Good riddance to him.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011

Surely a summer extravaganza at the AMEX. Think our stadium is set up well for boxing.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Surely a summer extravaganza at the AMEX. Think our stadium is set up well for boxing.

I would love to see that. I foresee utter carnage between the locals and the gypo hordes though.

BJS has not minced his words (pun intended) in the past with some of the homophobic diatribe in the direction of Eubank due to his Brighton roots. I doubt his following would either.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would love to see that. I foresee utter carnage between the locals and the gypo hordes though.

BJS has not minced his words (pun intended) in the past with some of the homophobic diatribe in the direction of Eubank due to his Brighton roots. I doubt his following would either.

My prediction is BJS will put on loads of weight and disappear....I hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here