Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it all a bit flat today? If so, why?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The first half was a sreaming pile of dog poo. We rolled over basically. No attacking intent at all. Very disappointing

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
We missed Gross immensely, no one to link our midfield to Murray. I know he has a nice song, but Bissouma is not that man, he is still learning his game. We we push and play at a greater pace we can compete with a top 6 team, when we don’t, we struggle. Think we need to change tactics to how we played against Man U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
Well Danny Murphy on MotD disagrees with you as do I. We should have gone for them from the start. What's the worst that could've happened - zero points. Well guess what we got zero points anyway. It was an opportunity, but obviously as stated you tow the party line and can not see anything ever wrong with Chris or BHA. I don't want Chris out, I'm not bedwetting or anything else but I can see that sometimes we don't get it right

Isn’t the party line that Chris sets us up defensively, we don’t “go for it” (never quite sure what this actually means) and that poor performances either throughout a match (Watford) or first halves (Southampton) are always about tactics and his inability to see that.

The ability or performance of the opponents doesn’t ever make much difference to this line whether they press and confound and surprise you (Watford) or play badly (Man Utd) or simply have world class players (spurs). Or if we have injuries (Bruno), are forced into different formations (Gross). And our (lack of clinical) finishing (penalties, one on ones) or defending never seems to make the slightest difference to this line. Of course when teams tire , or the game stretches or Albion up their tempo or players are on form and chances are created this is always about the reverse . This means Hughton has abandoned the above and “got in their face” and performed tactically whatever he should have done from the outset. Or not pick Solly March or .. fill in as required.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So who is to blame then?

Obviously I started another thread linked to this and whilst I know that CH isn't going to be dumped any time soon I find it frustrating that we come out at the start of games completely flat as if we're just not ready for kick off!

Responsibility for that must be down to the management team. One particular galling example is our kick off. MOTD highlighted how Spurs retained possession from kick off for a minute and won a corner. Our standard fare is to give the ball to Dunk who hoofs out to the wing where we lose the ball. In the league last season, we kicked off 92 times and I can't recall when we did it differently and I can't recall when it achieved anything, yet we persisted with it. I will however admit I was late back to my seat for the second half so didn't see that restart!

With regard to Bissouma, he is a talented player but why does he play deeper than Gross? Is that due to instructions or is that down to him unilaterally deciding to be there. Is it that they feel he has enough pace to get forward where as Gross doesn't so needs to be further forward to start with.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So who is to blame then?

Obviously I started another thread linked to this and whilst I know that CH isn't going to be dumped any time soon I find it frustrating that we come out at the start of games completely flat as if we're just not ready for kick off!v

Responsibility for that must be down to the management team. One particular galling example is our kick off. MOTD highlighted how Spurs retained possession from kick off for a minute and won a corner. Our standard fare is to give the ball to Dunk who hoofs out to the wing where we lose the ball. In the league last season, we kicked off 92 times and I can't recall when we did it differently and I can't recall when it achieved anything, yet we persisted with it. I will however admit I was late back to my seat for the second half so didn't see that restart!

With regard to Bissouma, he is a talented player but why does he play deeper than Gross? Is that due to instructions or is that down to him unilaterally deciding to be there. Is it that they feel he has enough pace to get forward where as Gross doesn't so needs to be further forward to start with.

We seem to be the masters of 'if at first you don't succeed, try try again (with the same tactics). Really feels like we are the most predictable team in the league sometimes. You can almost guarantee that next week we'll see all but the same line up/tactics

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
5:30 kick offs can be better.

Brighton allowed Spuds total dominance of the ball and territory from the first second, with Muzza isolated, simply setting the tone in the stands. It wasn’t as if we broke that up with glorious counter attacks made at pace, instead nowt. Second to every ball.

It killed the vociferous sections.

It’s not a purely Albion phenomenon. I’ve seen Selhurst, Anfield and OT as dead as a Dodo when the crowd sense what game is in-store from the opening moments.

This last line for me! Maty Ryan even said we paid them too much respect. We may have had a few bookings but there wasn't really a genuine crunching tackle to be seen.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The flip side of this argument wasn’t our tactics, it was Spurs came with a plan to attack us early and we simply couldn’t cope. If not for a spectacular save by Ryan we could have been behind a lot earlier. As it was Spurs couldn’t maintain that tempo and we grew into the game.

We started fast against MU & Fulham, not sure we planned it any differently other than the quality of the opposition starved us of the ball and penned us back.

We all see the game differently, I accept that, but I don't think we did get in their faces and our tempo didn't seem high. I have now also watched the game again on Sky as well as MotD and both say we were standing off or showing too much respect etc.. Of course Spurs are very good and I'm not saying if we started well we would've won the game but the thread is about why was it so flat today and you have to admit it's difficult for the crowd to get into the game when you start the way we did

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A bit flat
Showing too much respect

Utterly predictable, particularly Murray. And Hughton it could be argued

Complacency from a few players ? dunk Murray and March maybe?

Driver8

On the road...
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I think from what I’ve been reading on here is that fans just couldn’t understand why Brighton or its manager can’t pick a team or come up with tactics to outplay and overrun a team like Spurs who are only in the Champions League, have some of the best players in the world and haven’t lost 3 games in a row in the Prem for years.

You seem to have the same inferiority complex as CH does when he sets out his tactics. I’m not even bothering to go to Man City next week as I know we will stick 10 men behind the ball all game and just hope to keep the score down.

Spurs were under pressure after three losses and instead of capitalising on that and trying to put pressure on them we just sat back and gave them the ball. I must have missed the “best players in the world” you mentioned.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think too many players are under-performing.

For me, you've got Ryan, March and Murray about the same level as last year.

Dunk, Bong, Stephens and Propper playing worse than last year. Factor in Bissouma taking time to get anywhere near the performances we were seeing from Gross. Montoya has been solid defensively but is no Bruno going forward.

Thank goodness Duffy at the back and Knockaert have been getting us out of trouble.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We all see the game differently, I accept that, but I don't think we did get in their faces and our tempo didn't seem high. I have now also watched the game again on Sky as well as MotD and both say we were standing off or showing too much respect etc.. Of course Spurs are very good and I'm not saying if we started well we would've won the game but the thread is about why was it so flat today and you have to admit it's difficult for the crowd to get into the game when you start the way we did

We lost games last season, Liverpool & Chelsea in particular where leaving too many gaps and then game is effectively over before you’ve got started. I didn’t agree with Murphy’s analysis, his first 60secs looks clever but are we seriously thinking in the first minute against a top side we’re pushing up and committing in their half?

As it was, I felt we’d taken the sting out of them and the frustration was the manner in conceding the goal. I don’t think we played well, but tactically it worked against Spurs last season, and you give yourself a chance as the game progresses. We should have equalised, so it is frustration, but tactically I felt we only dropped deep for a 15-20min spell, once we weathered that we were in the game.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think too many players are under-performing.

For me, you've got Ryan, March and Murray about the same level as last year.

Dunk, Bong, Stephens and Propper playing worse than last year. Factor in Bissouma taking time to get anywhere near the performances we were seeing from Gross. Montoya has been solid defensively but is no Bruno going forward.

Thank goodness Duffy at the back and Knockaert have been getting us out of trouble.

Perhaps, but the tactics certainly aren't helping. We've shown that when we play positively we can create chances and score, and concede no more than when we sit 10 men behind the ball. Imo many of the players just seem unsure of their roles when we play as we did first half. Very frustrating

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
First five seconds of second half we pressed and it was an obvious tactical change. We moved 10 yards further up the pitch as a team.
At one point in the first 45 minutes, when Tottenham had the ball in their own half, our furthest forward player was Murray who was about 30 yards out from our own goal.
Second half completely different tactics, and surprise surprise we play much better.
Oh and when did we bring on Jahanbaksh?
Yes you guessed it
70 minutes
The timing of our substitutions are so obvious, that opposition coaches have the week before the game to work out what they will do on 70 minutes, if anything, to counteract this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
First five seconds of second half we pressed and it was an obvious tactical change. We moved 10 yards further up the pitch as a team.
At one point in the first 45 minutes, when Tottenham had the ball in their own half, our furthest forward player was Murray who was about 30 yards out from our own goal.
Second half completely different tactics, and surprise surprise we play much better.
Oh and when did we bring on Jahanbaksh?
Yes you guessed it
70 minutes
The timing of our substitutions are so obvious, that opposition coaches have the week before the game to work out what they will do on 70 minutes, if anything, to counteract this.

k

Spurs had something to defend away from home, we needed a goal - of course the shape and tactics of the game changed.

Spurs went at in those first 20mins, took risks and pushed forward. I actually don’t mind keeping it tight in a game like that, there seems to be an obsession with simply attacking is the answer, it isn’t, what we didn’t do well was actually press enough with men behind the ball. Bong needs to relax and stop lunging in too.

Think individual performances in that first half weren’t great, and losing Stephens effected us, but tactically I don’t think we were far off getting it right.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Yes it was flat. It shouldn't have been, with all afternoon to drink. Not going to make any of those excuses. We need to up our game in the stands

I borrowed a season ticket for the front of ESU near the half way line (I normally sit WSU - shared ticket); I thought the NS were more coordinated than usual and sounded loud, almost as loud as Spuds. I reckon it's all down to acoustics. From WSU the NS usually sound disjointed and not V loud.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its the PL all grounds are supposed to be libraries, we have learnt from last season and are now fully in tune with the PL requirements

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spurs had something to defend away from home, we needed a goal - of course the shape and tactics of the game changed.

Spurs went at in those first 20mins, took risks and pushed forward. I actually don’t mind keeping it tight in a game like that, there seems to be an obsession with simply attacking is the answer, it isn’t, what we didn’t do well was actually press enough with men behind the ball. Bong needs to relax and stop lunging in too.

Think individual performances in that first half weren’t great, and losing Stephens effected us, but tactically I don’t think we were far off getting it right.

:thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Morning after the night before...now it really is flat ...wet and miserable..I recorded the match ..should I watch it again...nah ..think I'll pass

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here