Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Matt Le Tissier

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He played a string of England matches when he was at his peak.

He wasn't an out and out forward and David Platt was in a similar role to him at the time. I seem to remember he never impressed- possibly because he wasn't in a talisman role.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
England as a team just do my head in. We had Hoddle and Robson played him as a right wing back, we had Tiss who was just sublime and never got a chance in the England side, a bit like Cantona with France. We never learn how to play our best.
Hoddle was a frustrating lazy talent, Le Tiss even more so though I always argued we should have had Le Tiss on the bench purely for the guaranteed penalty.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was at Anfield for a Liverpool v Southampton game some years back, it was 6-0 to Liverpool when Le Tisier came on as a sub and scored the best goal of the entire game, a superb shot into the top corner, and pretty much the entire ground stood and applauded.

Saw him play in blue and white at the Goldstone too, a testimonial game, can’t remember who for , even in that game he oozed ability, he was one of the greats who never made it as a great..

Jimmy Cases testimonial, I think.He flicked the ball over his head, spun , and volleyed it just over the bar, from about thirty yards.

Up there with Vicente run and shot against Derby.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I hate his team with a passion but I loved watching him play, he was an absolute genius. Living this way I went to the Dell a bit as a youngster as my school would get free tickets and he was a joy to watch. Was there the day he scored the goal against Wimbledon where he flicked the ball up from a free kick and volleyed it in to the top corner, that was a special moment.

I’d have never asked for his f***in shirt though!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Jimmy Cases testimonial, I think.He flicked the ball over his head, spun , and volleyed it just over the bar, from about thirty yards.

Up there with Vicente run and shot against Derby.

And you know what, he looked just weird wearing our kit, wonderful, but just wrong.

I would not have asked for his shirt either, Liam Brady’s Brighton testimonial shirt would have been far more desirable

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Random Le Tiss fact - did you know that he was also engaged to Marilyn from Home and Away?!

As the Southampton folk on here will probably know, Le Tiss (and a lot of their squad) used to like a night out in Leisure World, you’d regularly find him in Jumpin Jacks, Hot Shots, Ikon and Diva. Classy place. One very random night though me and my mates ended up having a drink at the bar with him, Darren Gough and Ryan Sidebottom, very surreal night.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
image.jpeg

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
West Ham fans used to sing to him: "Big nose! He's got a f**k*ng big nose!" To his credit he took the stick well.

Graham Taylor (RIP) was a shocking manager and it's well known he didn't get on with Terry Venables as he didn't sign for his beloved Spurs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unbelievable talent but never made the absolute most of it. Met him a couple of times as I played cricket in the same team as one of his brothers (the other one played for a different team) when I lived in Guernsey. Decent bloke.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
He's an absolute Twitter ****, imagining that because he had a high profile many years ago his opinion are any better informed than you would expect of a reasonably well educated 10 year old...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Resigned from his role as club ambassador at Southampton after re-tweeting a conspiracy theory that the deaths in Bucha were faked, saying "this"

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ampton-role-after-backlash-over-ukraine-tweet

Great player. But a highly enriched weapons-grade 18-carat knobber.

This is an odd quote from him, 'I can, however, see that due to recent events it’s important to separate the work I believe in from my relationship with the club'. Does he see himself as some sort of missionary with a job to educate the masses.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is an odd quote from him, 'I can, however, see that due to recent events it’s important to separate the work I believe in from my relationship with the club'. Does he see himself as some sort of missionary with a job to educate the masses.

Yes very much so.

Lockdown was quite obviously completely unprecedented and people reacted in many different ways.

He's just another that has become radicalised by nonsense they read on the internet trying to make sense. They call it "research". I've stopped reading his ramblings a while ago. I'd imagine he uses the term "Mainstream Media" a lot, whilst hypocritically taking a pay cheque from Sky.

Convinced they are being lied to they think they have found some "hidden truth", somewhat oblivious to the fact that what they are reading is freely available to everyone else.

They just choose not to believe it, or not use Twitter and Google to confirm their bias.

Throw in the utter weirdness of this new neo-liberal paranoid political thinking that believes liberties are being taken away by gender neutral toilets and Black Lives Matters. It's the I'm not allowed to say this, but say it anyway oddball at the end of the bar gone mainstream.

He isn't the first footballer or other "celebrity" to go that way. I just hope he has good people around him.

There is definitely a Channel 5 documentary here though if anyone is bored of alcoholic / addicted to gambling footballers.

He needs help.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here