Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the Premier League less interesting than the Championship?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe that's because we've had a relatively settled squad where we've only really had known long-term injuries to deal with. I'm not sure what it is.
There might be something in that.

Any team changes will the ones we've seen coming a mile off, Hemed for Murray etc.
Despite his touchline antics CH isn't going to provide any 'talking' points.
The players aren't in a position to be 'got at' or 'give it out'.
Even when they are honest it's a yeah and comment:-

Gaetan Bong: "I love the mentality we have right now, because even when we are losing, we just say f*** that, let’s go."

So all in all there's not a lot to be interested in as even the result isn't in doubt, 2-0.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'd say the Premier league is not less interesting than the championship.

The battle to stay up and compete with teams at the highest level is every bit as compelling as the pursuit of promotion in my opinion (at least this season).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I said last season and the season before, that I would enjoy the journey more than the destination. It's great there is more money for the club, and that we seem to be doing ok, but what is there to aim for? Staying up? Maybe top ten? It's not exactly glamorous, is it? Would we have a seafront party and open top bus ride for coming tenth?

For me the journey still has a way to go:

1. Survival.
2. Our highest ever top flight finish.
3. Top half finish.
4. Most seasons in the top flight
5. A senior England international produced from our ranks.

The journey means making this period the most successful in the club's history. If, come May 2022, we've spent five seasons in the Prem, finished 10th or higher and watched Dunk and / or March play for England then we would have either matched or achieved things the club had never achieved before.

If we do that then - yes - I'll feel the journey will have ended.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The championship over the past few years has been the most exciting league, but I only paid attention to it because we were in it. Since promotion I haven't looked at the champ once, couldn't tell you who was where in the table, simply because it's of no importance at the moment.
I've never particularly followed the prem but obviously have this season and it has a totally different feel to the championship as we were a top side in that league, this feels like we need to work a hell of a lot harder to make ourselves known.
I'm just enjoying the ride anyway, if we go down at some point then I'll keep up to date with the champ, but not until then.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Its just a part of a journey for me
My biggest fear is hanging on to players. Players want to win stuff, look at the celebrations last season. Except for money thats the drive. This and for the next season or 3 the aim is surely to stay up/finish as high as we can. But its highly unlikely we will win anything and with such short careers if anyone one comes in for Dunk/Solly etc who have got a European chance they would unfortunately be silly not to take that step. Our next target should be keeping the squad together where appropriate, building in when/where necessary and hopefully staying up for 3 years and see if we can get a cheeky Europa cup place. I reckon we could do ok in that if you look at the other teams and it would make some great away days

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm finding each game an event in its own right in the PL, the Championship felt more like with the amount of games, you were always thinking about the next one, whether we were struggling, playoffs or going for the top spots, there was a grinding accumulation of games and points.

PL, each point is like a little jewel of hope and joy, each game has a cup tie like feel, partly helped by the gaps we've had in-between. Very different, very exciting at present.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very much enjoyed championship but expectations were so high for every game. None more so then on NSC when if we drew or lost we were crap and if we won were good. Atmosphere has gone up a notch and supporters appreciate every point gained. It is special to compete against some of worlds best players will enjoy the ride. Have liked seeing opposition players and as I know most of them no longer need to buy a program. I just like to follow the club that I have since a boy and will continue to do so whatever division. I think Bloom has been fantastic and main reason i wanted promotion was for him and that is same reason I would like to stay up.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Since the PL is the top of the football ladder in the UK there is much more room for quality to vary between teams in the PL. If there was another league to be promoted to where the quality teams moved on to (not like the Champions League which is not a league to play the majority of your matches) then the PL would not have as much of a variance in quality. The Championship does not have the same variance because teams move both up and down while the PL real quality teams simply are stagnant. The joy comes from beating your rivals for the top prize of first in the PL.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For me the journey still has a way to go:

1. Survival.
2. Our highest ever top flight finish.
3. Top half finish.
4. Most seasons in the top flight
5. A senior England international produced from our ranks.

The journey means making this period the most successful in the club's history. If, come May 2022, we've spent five seasons in the Prem, finished 10th or higher and watched Dunk and / or March play for England then we would have either matched or achieved things the club had never achieved before.

If we do that then - yes - I'll feel the journey will have ended.

Perfectly put, my feelings exactly. I'd also add 'qualify for Europe' into the equation at some point down the line if (IF) we manage to consolidate and remain in the top flight.

Just staying up is all that matters this season of course. But I'd certainly love to see us finish 12th or higher, so I can say I've seen the greatest ever team in our history. That's a nice little target.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
tricky one and age might be a factor.

i'm 31 - having never seen BHA at this level i still get goosebumps every time i see the Premier League table and some of the teams involved. No one can tell me they're not amazed at some of the talent our lot are coming up against this season, we're playing against (and competing with) some of the worlds best and that results in more excitement to me than often gritty tight Championship games. Bar a few games i haven't been as excited as i am for tomorrow and i know full well we probably won't win...or draw..or even score.

and forgetting us, the more general question is whether the Premier League is less interesting - like most leagues there are some scorchers and some howlers but when Huddersfield can go and beat Man United you can't deny it's excitement. Because the championship is so open are there ever any 'shock' results or real upsets? The championship is the best second tier in the world and would beat most top tiers, 12-15 teams could probably go up and with good coverage and more matches per season the football fix comes thick and fast.

I haven't answered the question really but am very bored clock watching at work for once so thought i'd chuck my thoughts in!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Perfectly put, my feelings exactly. I'd also add 'qualify for Europe' into the equation at some point down the line if (IF) we manage to consolidate and remain in the top flight.

Just staying up is all that matters this season of course. But I'd certainly love to see us finish 12th or higher, so I can say I've seen the greatest ever team in our history. That's a nice little target.

1) 50 points (40 pts should be enough to stay up)
2) Positive goal difference
3) Avoiding home defeats to the bottom 14
4) Not conceding four goals at home
5) Not losing to clubs south of the Thames

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I must admit, I'm not looking forward to the game in the way I had expected to before the season started. It's just another game isn't it? Well, maybe it is a bit more special going to a top 6 team, but not that much more. Ultimately, it's just too predictable. Man Utd are a best priced 1/5 for a win. The draw is around 7/1 and the bookies think we have no chance. Overall, I think I will agree with whoever said they "hope" we get away with a 1-0 defeat. I'd guess it's that sort of scenario that has led to a lack of discussion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sure battling at the top of the Championship was thrilling these last 2 years, and I've also held the feeling that the journey may be better than the destination.
A lot of us feel that way.
But so far, I've loved every moment of being in the PL
As have we all I think, we've done better than we expected to do. Saturday is a different matter though. I've just got no expectation and I can't take my eyes off Tuesday.

If we stay up and become furniture then it may become a little more "meh" each season, but at the moment, its epic.
Fair point.

Having no interest because you "expect to lose" - I can't process that. Brighton will be in front of a worldwide audience, playing in front of 75,000, taking on one of the biggest and most famous football clubs in the world. You couldn't get a more high-profile fixture than this.
Fair again, it's just not how I'm looking at it. I've not even considered it being in front of a worldwide audience, I guess that's not important to me right now. And not caring about Saturday helps manage my disappointment when we lose.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I must admit, I'm not looking forward to the game in the way I had expected to before the season started. It's just another game isn't it? Well, maybe it is a bit more special going to a top 6 team, but not that much more. Ultimately, it's just too predictable. Man Utd are a best priced 1/5 for a win. The draw is around 7/1 and the bookies think we have no chance. Overall, I think I will agree with whoever said they "hope" we get away with a 1-0 defeat. I'd guess it's that sort of scenario that has led to a lack of discussion.

it is another game but my god imagine saying you were there if we grabbed a 1-0 win...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

last time we were in the top division we stayed there 4 years and it was really strange that a lot of people were not satisfied with just trying to hang on in there...Mike bailey is a case in point. He made us very difficult to beat and conversely very difficult to watch for some people ( wasn't it that time where some people gave up watching the first team and we used to get good crowds for the stiffs?)...so much so that he was got rid of as he was not giving the fans what they expected...fast flowing entertaining footy.

maybe times have changed, but I am sure that after survival( hopefully) this season, fans would expect us to kick on. I use the example of Stoke above as they are the archetypal premier team. Hard, full of big buggers ( apart from Shaquiri), dont lose many matches, but dont win many either...endlessly non achievers and a team who are happy to kick around the middle of the prem. this is where it gets interesting - would we as supporters want to become a Stoke City, ie surviving every year, getting the chance to play the best sides in England and Wales every week , but realistically never really going anywhere?

I know this is very much a hypothetical argument as we have many games to go this season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm finding each game an event in its own right in the PL, the Championship felt more like with the amount of games, you were always thinking about the next one, whether we were struggling, playoffs or going for the top spots, there was a grinding accumulation of games and points.

PL, each point is like a little jewel of hope and joy, each game has a cup tie like feel, partly helped by the gaps we've had in-between. Very different, very exciting at present.

yeah, this

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
For me, I am enjoying every minute of this season, just as I did the last. I don't miss the Championship too much, only the added matchdays in the first few months of the season which kept the games coming thick and fast. Being in the same division as Palace helps now and for me the Man U game is an irrelevance compared to what will happen on Tuesday night.

As far as the type of team we are, I would suggest that Mr Bloom has plans for this club to develop beyond just being a mid table side. I think that after establishing ourselves here this season and next, we will start to see the side develop so that it can chase 6th or 7th and perhaps Europa League. Everything is in place. Unlike so many other teams we have a progressive owner and the infrastructure is all there. I really believe we are going to get better and better in this league over time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here