Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk to Arsenal in January for £35-40m

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's a good point. There could be a £30m release clause (it could actually be less than that) and/or there could be a "Top 6 club" release clause.

I'd imagine there are about a bazillion clauses in each of the latest round of signed contracts, covering every conceivable eventuality, and probably some that aren't.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This is not somethingI think is true but if it is I doubt we would be able to keep him

However it begs the question. There has been hype around Dunk for about 3 years now with PL Clubs in abundance making enquiries and offers for him. What on earth has woken clubs like Arsenal up ? What on earth do their recruitment team do all day. Do they only go and watch matches if they can get a cheap holiday abroad ?

I don't know, it's only fairly recently he cut out the stupid bookings and the semi regular red mist. I would imagine those would have been red flags for the top clubs in the PL when comparing him to players with more experience in top flight football.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
One thing is for absolute certain - If Arsenal or Liverpool bought him in January there is no way he's be coming back on loan. They need him now to help with getting in the Champions League.

Seagulls perm

Banned
Apr 20, 2017
West Ham (apparently) on with a big bid , 37 million. Plus a 'significant' wage increase. Apparently they're after more UK born players and obviously are desperate for somebody in his position.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
West Ham (apparently) on with a big bid , 37 million. Plus a 'significant' wage increase. Apparently they're after more UK born players and obviously are desperate for somebody in his position.

The only way he would sign for West Ham is for wages and not have to move home certainly not to advance his career.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It is looking like all the 'Big clubs' will be looking for a decent CB in the next year. Liverpool have their well documented defensive problems, Chelsea will have to replace Cahill, if not Louis, Kompany is not getting any younger at City, Man Utd will need a new CB, if they are to challenge across all competitions, and , Arsenal has already been discussed on here.

We could lose both our CBS by the start of next season

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The only way he would sign for West Ham is for wages and not have to move home certainly not to advance his career.

To slightly contradict myself (@Bold Seagull will love this) I cannot for the life of me see us sell him to a non top six side, they are all our rivals, unless there are clauses.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
nooooooo_luke_skywalker_text.gif

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
TB has spent hundreds of millions getting the club to this point, and patently doesn't need the cash. He won't do anything to jeopardise what's been achieved, so I think he'll rebuff any offers for our key players in January. Imagine they've all (Dunk included) already been told the club won't sell any of them. If Dunk (or any other key player), truly has their head turned then the club may relent I suppose, but will play hardball with both the player and the bidding club.

O/T, but looks as though Sturridge wants out of Liverpool to get a starting place somewhere, and supposedly wants to be 'down South'.........could do a job ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
is it a quiet time and the ( NSC ) board needs some juicy item to comment about???? I would think all the PL have taken note of Dunk and probably like what they have seen so far (so not really news that Arsenal might be interested) but we are talking 11 games and for the money we would want for him I would expect even rich clubs to be waiting for more evidence. Personally I see him and Duffy as key to us staying up and to loose him in January would be a very big blow so I hope that we just blow this rumour away. I also think Dunk will struggle to get into England's team all the time Southgate is manager and that is irrespective of whether he plays for us or Arsenal.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No way would we have agreed a fee at this time so the price is nonsense, if (a big if I think he will go in the summer not January) we were happy to sell in January we would be after the largest pot of money we can get our hands on, that means encouraging a bidding war so leaving any transfer agreement to the end of January agreeing a fee in November would be crazy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I honestly think it will be better for Dunk's career if he plays at least one full season with the Albion in the Prem.

As for England, I don't think he'll need to leave the Albion to get his call-up - even if you play for an unfashionable club if you're in the Prem and look the part you'll get a chance (see Maguire, Abraham, Cork, Heaton, Loftus-Cheek). Indeed, if Jamie Carragher / Gary Neville were picking the England WC squad I think he'd be in it now.

Will Dunk be willing to risk leaving his teammates halfway through the season, and could he live with himself if he left and we got relegated?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Sadly I think there's going to be a lot of this.

We're doing better than a lot of people thought and our previously under the radar players are going to be linked with all and sundry.

Dunk is the most obvious example, but I'm pretty sure we're going to get this for the likes of Duffy, Stephens, March, Knockaert, Propper and Gross as well. Longstanding Premier League teams with rich owners and deep pockets chuck money at problems and hope it comes off.

Every piece of logic in the world suggests Dunk should stay at least until the end of the season but money talks and desperate clubs do desperate things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here