Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Remembrance Day Ypres and Muster Green

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I would think so but they have asked me about when was there a war but they are only between 5 and 7 years old. I am told, but again I do not know for sure, that their history starts in 1950. We went to a Christmas service there last year and it didnt mention the nativity at all as all the deputy head kept on about was feeding 3rd world countries and how unfair it was for us to have so much and them struggle. Generally in all ways as regards the 3Rs the school is brilliant but I would be concerned that the deputy head is a throw back from the student anti establishment times

More bollocks. You really don't have a clue about this. I would also suggest you stop listening to others talking bollocks as well.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Please keep this thread on topic: it is about what people are doing over remembrance weekend, and not about what is and is not taught in history classes in schools. This is not an appropriate thread to derail.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Local(ish) church for me. Unfortunately there is now a tradition of one of my sons (I have two who play the trumpet/cornet) playing the Last Post at the war memorial, which is terrifying for a 10 year old (and his parents) with cold fingers and 100 people watching. Still, it's character building and the representatives from the armed forces (and the local people) are very kind!
I did that once, decades ago, and I was terrible.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
2278 Knoll School Squadron ATC and before them 5th Hove Scouts. My memory is that the parade and service was in Church Road, outside the Town Hall, when it looked like a Town Hall. This year We are off to Canada again.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
My Grandfather was at Ypres . Found some more of his Trench Art recently . Shell case and matchbox holders all inscribed. We should never forget .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Local(ish) church for me. Unfortunately there is now a tradition of one of my sons (I have two who play the trumpet/cornet) playing the Last Post at the war memorial, which is terrifying for a 10 year old (and his parents) with cold fingers and 100 people watching. Still, it's character building and the representatives from the armed forces (and the local people) are very kind!

Well done to your son mate.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I will be at St.Marys Storrington and it is always packed for the Remembrance Service.

Always seemed to be old men in their blazers and regimental ties but sadly there are also a few youngsters wearing medals at the Service these days.

My late father-in-law was Guards Armoured Division and went in on D-Day plus two - he did the Kohima Epitaph by the St Marys Memorial a few times.

Never really spoke about his war years although he went from Normandy to Berlin and stayed for a while as part of the Army of Occupation - the only thing he let loose about one evening was having his 21st with members of the Black Watch and the fact that it ended his whisky drinking days... :lolol:

6 Guards Armoured , hats off to him.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I visited my uncle's grave in the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery in Kuala Lumpa in 2012. As soon as we arrived two gardeners appeared with the visitors book and the plan of the graves - all beautifully maintained. But it is a very moving experience and I admit I blubbed as I walked around all the graves - I thought I owed it to all the young men as they don't get many visitors. I'm not sure I could have done this on 11/11 and any whiff of the Last Post would have finished me off. I shall parade this Sunday at my local Church with the Scouts and Guides.

I felt the same at Kanchanaburi

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
6 Guards Armoured , hats off to him.

Strictly speaking he was a Signaller attached to the Guards Armoured, spent his time listening to German communications but was often close enough to be sniped at, he didn't shoot at anyone himself which I wouldn't have enjoyed personally.

At least my Grandad (being a Gunner) had a 25 Pounder to make someone's day a bit worse...

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Not talking about my agenda at all but professional experience.

So your professional experience tells you this

"We went to a Christmas service there last year and it didnt mention the nativity at all as all the deputy head kept on about was feeding 3rd world countries and how unfair it was for us to have so much and them struggle."

is bollocks does it ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Strictly speaking he was a Signaller attached to the Guards Armoured, spent his time listening to German communications but was often close enough to be sniped at, he didn't shoot at anyone himself which I wouldn't have enjoyed personally.

At least my Grandad (being a Gunner) had a 25 Pounder to make someone's day a bit worse...
nice one mate

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
So the school aren't denying WW2 but just teaching 5 year olds modern history therefore your previous post is rather deceptive.

Personally I would rather a teacher that at Christmas (According to the religious types a season goodwill) taught children about charity and caring for others rather than a made up story of a virgin birth created to seduce primitive minds.

On a happier note am watching 'Journey's End', very good piece of film making and a good insight into the bravery of those heros.
Exactly this even the church admits christmas is not the birth date of Jesus it was and has always been a pagan festival. Constatine figured it would fit best for the festival of saturnalia and many others around this date in the empire to be converted and set around this date. It is all spin doctoring that people still fall for.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So your professional experience tells you this

"We went to a Christmas service there last year and it didnt mention the nativity at all as all the deputy head kept on about was feeding 3rd world countries and how unfair it was for us to have so much and them struggle."

is bollocks does it ?

Fully agree -what rubbish he spouts. professional experience!!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
IMG_20171111_194612.jpg
Moving, poignant and beautiful. Lest We Forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here