Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hot water boiler question

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah, thought you'd be all over this, Bozza.

Agreed. I should be, yes. I've never looked into it, but how do they 'connect' to the heating system? (I'm not expecting you to answer that for me)

Along the same lines, our boiler is in the garage and we have a small remote control device in the house (that I also don't know how to use) - how does that connect, as it's pretty old so clearly not Bluetooth for example. (Again, I'm not expecting you to answer that for me).

Shit. I'm turning into Ben's Grandad.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Our hot water is on 24/7. Has been since we moved in around October 2001.

They turned it off to service the boiler once. Which reminds me - it's probably due another :rolleyes:

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
What's the worst that could happen? They crank up my heating, or turn it off? House has a burglar alarm so they won't be accessing that through a router.

They might be able to render the whole system unusable maybe, I'm no expert.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed. I should be, yes. I've never looked into it, but how do they 'connect' to the heating system? (I'm not expecting you to answer that for me)

Along the same lines, our boiler is in the garage and we have a small remote control device in the house (that I also don't know how to use) - how does that connect, as it's pretty old so clearly not Bluetooth for example. (Again, I'm not expecting you to answer that for me).

Shit. I'm turning into Ben's Grandad.

About £250 and a friendly electrician from British Gas will do it all for you, not sure you need to know how it works :smile:

You'll find controlling everything from your iPhone or tablet a piece of piss though.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
What's the worst that could happen? They crank up my heating, or turn it off? House has a burglar alarm so they won't be accessing that through a router.

If your nest/hive/wifi heating system is connected to your wifi, and the hackers can gain access to your wifi through those open systems - then they can access your other wifi devices, and possibly your laptop/pc/mac and then maybe your credit card details, personal data, photos........etc, etc, etc.

Not scaremongering or anything, but I have three neighbours with unsecured wifi.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If your nest/hive/wifi heating system is connected to your wifi, and the hackers can gain access to your wifi through those open systems - then they can access your other wifi devices, and possibly your laptop/pc/mac and then maybe your credit card details, personal data, photos........etc, etc, etc.

Not scaremongering or anything, but I have three neighbours with unsecured wifi.

My Hive connection has a password as does my router so I'm not sure I am any more vunerable though my hive connection than I am through my router???

If someone really really wants to hack me I'm sure they could do it though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My Hive connection has a password as does my router so I'm not sure I am any more vunerable though my hive connection than I am through my router???

If someone really really wants to hack me I'm sure they could do it though.

I reckon Kim Jong-un is re-prioritising his best hackers at this very minute

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thought I'd add it here rather than create a new thread...

Our combi boiler (Worcester Bosch) is playing up.

We keep getting EA Fault errors and it stops working. We reset and it works for a while and then stops again.

We also get an odd symbol appearing on the temperature readout. It looks like a capital H but with the horizontal piece split in 2 and outside the vertical lines.

How do we fix it?

Papa

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Thought I'd add it here rather than create a new thread...

Our combi boiler (Worcester Bosch) is playing up.

We keep getting EA Fault errors and it stops working. We reset and it works for a while and then stops again.

We also get an odd symbol appearing on the temperature readout. It looks like a capital H but with the horizontal piece split in 2 and outside the vertical lines.

How do we fix it?

Papa

I’d get someone in to service it. Would risk buggering around with it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’d get someone in to service it. Would risk buggering around with it.

Ok. Sounds like a sensible option. I'll find a plumber in the morning.

Thanks

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
They might be able to render the whole system unusable maybe, I'm no expert.

No - the remote system simply operates the controls and timer of the central heating and hot water, so the worst that could happen is that they could turn it on and off at different times than you wanted them to. Plus it operates through your domestic router, so if that's secure, then they can't hack into your Hive system as far as I understand it. And if that's not secure then you've potentially got bigger problems than someone dicking around with your central heating system.

The Hive system is brilliant - you can also use it to control lighting and other electrics remotely - useful for security, if you're away for any length of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here