Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 East Lower & surrounded by tossers

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Old fart here... 67 years supporting Albion. Getting towards the end and thought I would treat my last years to 1901... with my son & grandson. So this is season 6, at the Amex and we've been moved further along towards the South, to seat all 3 of us. Still great seats but oh dear not an Albion fan around. In all points of my compass are sitting "Goldstone hospitality" fans... normally always supporting the away team. I try not to get cross when the geezer next me, the woman behind me etc, etc, are pissed off when we do well and giving it plenty when the other team have chances. Every week these fans change but their allegiances are never for the Albion. Wadda I do? I'm going to get myself into bother soon with one of them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Old fart here... 67 years supporting Albion. Getting towards the end and thought I would treat my last years to 1901... with my son & grandson. So this is season 6, at the Amex and we've been moved further along towards the South, to seat all 3 of us. Still great seats but oh dear not an Albion fan around. In all points of my compass are sitting "Goldstone hospitality" fans... normally always supporting the away team. I try not to get cross when the geezer next me, the woman behind me etc, etc, are pissed off when we do well and giving it plenty when the other team have chances. Every week these fans change but their allegiances are never for the Albion. Wadda I do? I'm going to get myself into bother soon with one of them.

I noticed that last season when I had tickets for East lower, they seemed to not be bothered by the match and busy talking about real ales.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Ignore it and make some noise to support your team. What are they going to do? Kick off because you have the cheek to cheer on your own team at home?

Make a passive aggressive display of it - so when the people around you are cheering when they have possession, you should make a point of cheering even louder when they give the ball away or hoof a shot wide.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Move to the West Stand Lower, we may not be the noise makers but it is stuffed with Albion fans treating themselves after years of getting wet and driving 100 miles to home games.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
1901 are "corporate seats" and as with every other sporting event (not just football) are largely the preserve of those expensed up on a company jolly with clients or the ones being jollied. Being a fan of the sport in question is rarely a requirement and being a fan of either team is just a statistical anomaly.

Occasionally I am amongst those being jollied and I give up my seats in SWC for 1901 and regret it every time. The view from the elevated position at the half way line does vastly out-shine that of our front-row, obscured-by-everything-from-the-man-from-sky-to-the-corner-flag seats, but I would not hesitate in saying the better match day experience is to be had slumming it in the "cheap seats".

You can keep your beer in a real glass, short queues and free programmes and we'll just sit in the rain, stand in the cold concrete concourses with our floppy plastic glasses and sing our hearts out with the other fans (and occasionally hear gems like "Daddy, do they get paid more if it's raining").

Don't envy you mate. See out the 5 year contract and then treat your "last years" to a more enjoyable experience for all 3 generations!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You should go sit with SIMMOSAYS

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So far so good for me. East Upper but with three seats next to me sold on a game by game basis. So far they've always been taken up by 'home' fans who don't normally get a chance to come to the Amex. Yes I get the selfies on arrival, bags and bags of sweets and food and not knowing the words to GOSBTS. But rather that than the oppo fan who I know will turn up one day and I also know I will smack him one. Home seats for home fans please. Just like Spurs and Wembley.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1901 are "corporate seats" and as with every other sporting event (not just football) are largely the preserve of those expensed up on a company jolly with clients or the ones being jollied. Being a fan of the sport in question is rarely a requirement and being a fan of either team is just a statistical anomaly.

Occasionally I am amongst those being jollied and I give up my seats in SWC for 1901 and regret it every time. The view from the elevated position at the half way line does vastly out-shine that of our front-row, obscured-by-everything-from-the-man-from-sky-to-the-corner-flag seats, but I would not hesitate in saying the better match day experience is to be had slumming it in the "cheap seats".

You can keep your beer in a real glass, short queues and free programmes and we'll just sit in the rain, stand in the cold concrete concourses with our floppy plastic glasses and sing our hearts out with the other fans (and occasionally hear gems like "Daddy, do they get paid more if it's raining").

Don't envy you mate. See out the 5 year contract and then treat your "last years" to a more enjoyable experience for all 3 generations!

These sorts of posts are getting tedious now.

Kill them,kill them all.:moo:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012

Congrats on your ability to use the internet.

I sat in east lower from when my son was 4 to 7 & it was turgid sleepy stuff with zero atmosohere. Since last year I've moved to the north west with him - & we are in a happy place

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

My son and I are in 1901 and I totally disagree with your description of the inhabitants being 'corporate' and 'jollied'. I have seen very few that I put in that category and actually saw as many when we were in WSL. Everyone I meet and talk to are just like us ... genuine, dyed-in-the-wool Albion fans of all ages who want, and are able to afford, a bit more comfort.

Perhaps you have been unlucky but your criticisms are completely unjustified in our part of 1901. We love it!

el punal

The second word of your post is the answer. Ensure the night before a match you eat a particularly hot and spicy curry, wash it down with copious amounts of bitter (Harvey's would be a good choice or maybe a strong stout). Repeat the drinking bit before the game. Then, come kick off time, let nature take its course. Let rip your mighty bowels of discontent and watch the effect on those around you - satisfaction guaranteed! :shit: :thumbsup:

my son and i are in 1901 and i totally disagree with your description of the inhabitants being 'corporate' and 'jollied'. I have seen very few that i put in that category and actually saw as many when we were in wsl. Everyone i meet and talk to are just like us ... Genuine, dyed-in-the-wool albion fans of all ages who want, and are able to afford, a bit more comfort.

Perhaps you have been unlucky but your criticisms are completely unjustified in our part of 1901. We love it!

ok don't kill all of them:facepalm:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I sat in east lower from when my son was 4 to 7 & it was turgid sleepy stuff with zero atmosohere. Since last year I've moved to the north west with him - & we are in a happy place

The East Lower has been much noisier so far this season :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Great idea and [MENTION=25123]SIMMO SAYS[/MENTION] goes and sits with the hospitality prawn sarnie munching insurance salesmen for one match, that would be funny. :D
We did it when plumbase invited us up there, about 8 regional managers and only us two on the tools, rinsed the plumbase credit card, my dad got in a row with some old fart that wanted to sit in silence!
Honestly I'd never go up there again, they might have all the money but they're the worst kind of fans, boring f***s

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Great idea and [MENTION=25123]SIMMO SAYS[/MENTION] goes and sits with the hospitality prawn sarnie munching insurance salesmen for one match, that would be funny. :D

Done that twice. On one of them
two blokes never came out to their seats at all.
The other four were on their phones for the entire match.
#Wrong-Direction and I took full advantage of Plumbase's credit card tho :drink:
Oh dear he's on it already:moo:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We did it when plumbase invited us up there, about 8 regional managers and only us two on the tools, rinsed the plumbase credit card, my dad got in a row with some old fart that wanted to sit in silence!
Honestly I'd never go up there again, they might have all the money but they're the worst kind of fans, boring f***s

:lolol:
Excellent mate, I bet that credit card certainly took a hiding.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I've sat all round the Amex. The WSU at times is as noisy as the NS.

But I mostly use the NS these days. The atmosphere is immense (including in the concourse) and it's far from just kids and young blokes. Due to the steep-ish pitch of the tier, you still get a great view of the game.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Done that twice. On one of them
two blokes never came out to their seats at all.
The other four were on their phones for the entire match.
#Wrong-Direction and I took full advantage of Plumbase's credit card tho :drink:
Oh dear he's on it already:moo:

Sad really that some people can't switch off from work.
My temporary message on my phone may as well say " f*** off I'm watching football, ring me about work on Monday "

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here