Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO BHAFC Players: How Much Do You Want It?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Sheffield United secured promotion even before we did. After that, they powered towards the title, won the title, and then powered on still further, letting the rest of the division know who is boss.

This - but our recent history (2011 anyone?) always suggested we would take our foot off the pedal when promotion was secured. I think we'll get dicked at Villa so the key issue is whether Newcastle favour the Sheffield United approach or the Albion approach. Unfortunately I suspect 52,000 geordies will not let them **** up.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This - but our recent history (2011 anyone?) always suggested we would take our foot off the pedal when promotion was secured. I think we'll get dicked at Villa so the key issue is whether Newcastle favour the Sheffield United approach or the Albion approach. Unfortunately I suspect 52,000 geordies will not let them **** up.

Foot came off the pedal after we had won the league with games to spare. (2011 )

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Foot came off the pedal after we had won the league with games to spare. (2011 )

True - my comparison was also with Sheff Utd this season who have kept their foot to the metal having already won the league.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The other important thing is that it's looking like we'll be going in to the clubs toughest and most historic season with the team having forgotten to win. Yes, there is the Summer break, and yes, there'll be new players, but never underestimate the importance of momentum in football.

Agree.
It may sound OTT, but it does make me a bit concerned about next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We didn't take our foot off the pedal with promotion, because the very next week, we took the title at Walsall. Then we relaxed, when the job was done.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I think the deciding factor in motivation between us and NUFC is that they are expected to go up as champions and anything but the title is unacceptable, hence no real celebrations at St James's when they got promoted. We went nuts because promotion was all we hoped for. They are still hungry, and we are still pissed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think the Sheffield Utd comparisons are fair.

It's hard to find a time in their season when they weren't 8 points clear.
They've had the luxury of planning for promotion, title, then 100 points since February.

Whereas the Albion ended March on the back of a defeat, a point behind nailed on favourites Newcastle, and only 6 points ahead of 'Field who had a game in hand.

One slip and it could have all been over.
Releasing that kind of pressure, enough to make Newcastle and Huddersfield implode, was never going to be easily replaced.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Shef Utd are the best team in their league, they have proven it. Now its the time for our team to prove the same

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here