Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When work Christmas parties go wrong..

el punal

Back in the 1970s I worked for a national wines and spirits company who had shops (off-licences to you) all over the UK. Now as the lead up to Christmas and New Year was the busiest trading time, the festive party was held in January to avoid disruption to the lucrative selling period.

For the South East region it was decided that the bun fight would take place at one of the big hotels in Brighton on a Saturday evening. To ensure that all staff were able to attend it was deemed that all the shops would close at 1.00 p.m. so that those based furthest from Brighton would be able to travel in the afternoon.

So far, so good . . . . or maybe not. As the shops had shut at 1.00 the staff in the local Brighton and Hove branches had time to kill . . . . lots of it. So copious amounts of booze were drunk by the local boys and girls to get into the festive mood so to speak. Bad move!

Eventually everyone made it to the hotel for the regional dinner, and sat at their allocated places for the meal. Soup was the first course and was served. At precisely this moment, the manager of one of the Brighton shops succumbed to the six hours of solid drinking. He passed out face first into soup. Following that there more shenanigans of pissed behaviour by the local fraternity. But probably the best example was by the most junior employee, who took it on himself to call the regional director a f****** c***, then decided to lamp him one, missed, and promptly collapsed on the floor dead to the world.

After those marvellous scenes the company decided never again to hold a Christmas party - I wonder why. :drink:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Great when you are a junior employee but a nightmare when you're the gaffer. Used to have to go to several at different sites and never enjoyed them.
Running three-shift rotation factories meant that if you had a Christmas lunch even at 2pm, you would lose the afternoon shift, have to lose the following nightshift and then the mornings wanted to finish early to catch up with the other two shifts already in the pub for pre-lunch fortification. Once, the most junior labourer who couldn't hold his ale, kept saying "I don't like f*****g carrots!" whilst sat next to the Chairman's prim-and-proper secretary who was visiting to fly the flag and see how the other half lived. But at least the senior man could make his Christmas speech/message as authority still generally ruled.
The alternative was the evening do. Turning up with wives and girlfriends was always embarrassing for the few who had taken 'working relationship' to the ultimate level ! The wives would get in groups, hit the bottle for self-confidence and then talk/shriek loudly all the way through the head honcho's speech. The single lads without a 'plus one', had a few drinks for Dutch courage before turning up, gulped all the free booze, gulped down their Christmas meal and the buggered off to the clubs, etc, leaving the place half empty. Those that were left behind just did not want to be there.
In the end, a Christmas gift voucher was the final solution.
Final word on knocking off time for Christmas - even if the Christmas break started 4 months early at the end of August, they would still want to finish early at dinnertime !

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Yes agreed it's far worse when you're organising it. One year we had a free bar and some of the employees drank themselves silly on £17 cocktails, it ended up with a dispute with the bar manager as he'd deliberately kept taking orders even though this had never been agreed. The drinks bill exceeded the food bill by two to one, with worse to come as the police were called to remove some of our staff, who kept on trying to order drinks even though i'd put a stop to the bar.
They weren't too happy about being refused another drink and the whole thing ended in melee and the company being banned from using the restaurant ever again.
Needless to say that was the last Christmas do.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Going to be boring here.
Never understood Xmas parties that get out of control.
Organisers that give a totally free bar get exactly what they deserve.
Employees should be grateful that their company is giving a party and realise that in a way they are still at work with managers and bosses in attendance. Have a great time of course, limit the booze and watch how much you drink and don't make yourself look like a total ******** in front of everyone you work with.
Lay on some great music and food with rationed booze.
Finish at 11.30 to allow everyone to move on and finish themselves off in a manor they seem fit.
If I saw people behaving at my Christmas party as badly as other threads I would very soon find a way to get rid of them after the holidays.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Finish at 11.30 to allow everyone to move on and finish themselves off in a manor they seem fit.

Bl00dy Hell - I know some companies (cough....banks, city traders, football clubs, etc) overpay their employees way over the top salaries - but for them all to have a manor they can go and finish themselves off in is way past obscene!

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Going to be boring here.
Employees should be grateful that their company is giving a party and realise that in a way they are still at work with managers and bosses in attendance. Have a great time of course, limit the booze and watch how much you drink and don't make yourself look like a total ******** in front of everyone you work with.
If I saw people behaving at my Christmas party as badly as other threads I would very soon find a way to get rid of them after the holidays.
You sound a real scream.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Going to be boring here.

Why else would you even go a works party if .....

a) its not free booze
b) You're not likely to see a lot of comedy antics that get written into Christmas party folklore
c) See people make tits of themselves.
d) wake up the next morning with numerous Christmas tree decorations or whatever on your bedroom floor !

You work hard for the rest of the year with these people and this is the perfect escape valve and 'team bonding' exercise!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why else would you even go a works party if .....

a) its not free booze
b) You're not likely to see a lot of comedy antics that get written into Christmas party folklore
c) See people make tits of themselves.
d) wake up the next morning with numerous Christmas tree decorations or whatever on your bedroom floor !

You work hard for the rest of the year with these people and this is the perfect escape valve and 'team bonding' exercise!

Never mind, he just doesn't 'get' it!

PS You forgot to mention e). the fabulous surprise shag that you never dreamt you'd get in a million years!

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
as a 19 year old working at worthing hospital back in the 80's , i found myself doing the dastardly deed with a 58 year old in the hydrotherapy pool......i have never spoken about it.....until now......:down:

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Never mind, he just doesn't 'get' it!

PS You forgot to mention the fabulous surprise shag that you never dreamt you'd get in a million years!
I think this needs further discussion with names changed to protect the innocent !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here