Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League Cup 1st round draw

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We then paid £100k for him to join permanently, and that was at the start of the following season, where we opened up against Southend.

...where 3,500 Albion fans made the trip to Essex, joyfully expecting the first win of what would inevitably be a glorious procession to the league title.

Then Michel Kuipers was subbed at half time on his debut, we played like complete strangers, & Southend promptly went on to make a mockery of those buffoons amongst the travelling contingent who chose to sing "We'll never play you again" early on in the match, by beating us comfortably (2-0?).

The season did get a lot better of course, but we didn't start well at all.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mark Cartwright, [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
...where 3,500 Albion fans made the trip to Essex, joyfully expecting the first win of what would inevitably be a glorious procession to the league title.

Then Michel Kuipers was subbed at half time on his debut, we played like complete strangers, & Southend promptly went on to make a mockery of those buffoons amongst the travelling contingent who chose to sing "We'll never play you again" early on in the match, by beating us comfortably (2-0?).

The season did get a lot better of course, but we didn't start well at all.
Singing "We're going up as ****ing Champions" before kick off.

We did, but what a facepalm moment after losing 2-0.

The thing is, we knew how good Zamora was, but to most of the rest of football he was still under the radar.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheers [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION]

And of course, it was BOILING on that day. Lots of trouble too, unfortunately.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Singing "We're going up as ****ing Champions" before kick off.

We did, but what a facepalm moment after losing 2-0.

I seem to recall it was a scorching hot day too, & the route up there was slowed by an endless procession of caravans crawling along the A12 (is that the right road?) for their holidays.

Just one of many huge Albion let downs over the years :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Never liked Southend. Utter dump of a town, & my memory suggests they have been something of a bogey side for us over the years.

May not be backed up statistically :)

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Disappointing draw for me personally, but potentially winnable. It has 'banana skin' written all over it though.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
Cheers [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION]

And of course, it was BOILING on that day. Lots of trouble too, unfortunately.

I remember it all kicking off after the game. I was on crutches at the time after breaking my leg in Bournemouth and saw a fellow Seagull get punched off his crutches in the middle of the road. Remember feeling fortunate that it wasn't me.

This would also be the day I saw a guy get on the train home with a live owl on his shoulder......very odd!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I know one fan who'll be delighted with this draw, Southend are his second team.

I may give it a go, depends on price of travel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here