Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Children in Need

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think it's bit sad if the main presenters get paid but have no problem with the staff producing it as they got yo eat.
However I hope that the moaners on here don't suffer any of these illnesses or tragedy in there families.
Also if you don't like it you can always turn over.

The 'illnesses and tragedies' you refer to absolutely will be suffered by 'the moaners on here'. The 'illnesses and tragedies' will be suffered by many people, indiscriminately, whether they watch rubbish charity programmes and donate their hard earned cash, or choose not to watch and spend their money on russian dolls and strong cider. Watching this rubbish and donating to charity does not protect anyone from 'illness or tragedy', and the implied wisdom that there is a link between 'risk of illness or tragedy' and 'watching a thing on telly' is gonna keep me entertained for days.

Have a little chat with your priest on Sunday.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Some very sad stories more money must go into research to try and help stop these children suffering.
Thank you to all who have given money.god bless

What’s God got to do with it. Well done the heathens.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I almost killed someone collecting for CIN yesterday as the silly cow literally walked into the path of my car doing 20 odd mph. She was collecting outside a school - she collected my wrath and choice collection of swear words. I assume it was a teacher/teaching assistant/parent but what sort of instruction does it give to the kids that it's OK to jump into the path of a moving car if you're "protected" by a bucket and a silly costume ?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
My god some people just love moaning about literally anything, even something that does only good like CIN. Who honestly cares about the quality of the entertainment?! They're not trying to win a BAFTA are they? They're all making an effort and rasing a shed load of money for great causes.

The videos are heartbreaking and enough to make most want to contribute, the entertainment is just a bit of light relief.

Yes I'm sure some celebrities like the exposure but if they're helping raise money while doing it, who cares! And yes there are other charities that many people contribute to but this catches a large audience and particularly appeals to children and some adults in the country who might not otherwise have anything to do with charity.

All the while people are spunking thousands of pounds on luxury expensive TV's, holidays, football kits and cars etc that they don't really need then the more charities that ask for money the better as far as I'm concerned.

'My god some people just love moaning about literally anything' said Fareham seagull while moaning about other people moaning...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't care.
If watching the piece about Vanessa doesn't make you want to donate something, anything then you're dead inside.

That was a very moving moment and brought home the fact that the whole thing is about the money raised not the crap tv program which gets worse each year but the total raised goes up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There's far to many charities asking for money on TV. Gets a bit much really. Everyone has there own preferences. Myself i give to the blind and Poppy fund.

Absolutely right. I had been thinking about starting a thread of my own about this. Yes of couirse Children in Need is a great charity, but there are thousands of other great charities out there too. I'm sure we all have our preferences charity wise, and such a shame that the BBC doesn't/ can't, support a different charity every year, and give some others the chance of adding an awful lot of money to their coffers.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've worked with many charities over the last few years and (though they won't say it in public) they hate the big TV fundraisers. They hoover up money that would otherwise be shared round the other charities and I believe that the average donation is also slightly lower. Many charities suffer very badly around CIN and Comic Relief time. Some suffer more than others. I would guess that seasonal charities - such as Shelter - are hardest hit because of the timing.

I'm not saying don't give (although I thing we should be supporting charitable work through taxes) but be aware of the impact and maybe - if you can - make a small additional donation to another charity you like care about.

PS Watching tax-dodging "look-at-me's" having fun and then trying to guilt me into giving to charity SERIOUSLY sticks in the craw. Pay your taxes, actually fulfill your societal commitments, and then I might listen to you.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The big night is almost upon us (tomorrow evening) and the BBC have got an absolutely stellar line up to cheer us up during Lockdown and getting us donating to the most worthy of causes.

Hosted by Alec Scott and Chris Ramsey highlights tomorrow night include the EastEnders doing a Covid secure socially distanced can-can to 'Roll out the Barrel', Christopher Biggins sitting in a bath of baked beans for 24 hours, Sir Lenny Henry is living off nothing but pork scratchings for an entire week, and a one off celebrity edition of hit gameshow 'The Wall'. Expect record viewing figures this year as the nation tunes into its favourite telethon.

:ascarf:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The big night is almost upon us (tomorrow evening) and the BBC have got an absolutely stellar line up to cheer us up during Lockdown and getting us donating to the most worthy of causes.

Hosted by Alec Scott and Chris Ramsey highlights tomorrow night include the EastEnders doing a Covid secure socially distanced can-can to 'Roll out the Barrel', Christopher Biggins sitting in a bath of baked beans for 24 hours, Sir Lenny Henry is living off nothing but pork scratchings for an entire week, and a one off celebrity edition of hit gameshow 'The Wall'. Expect record viewing figures this year as the nation tunes into its favourite telethon.

Alec Scott and Scott Ramsey and I would be in!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
They have and are raising a lot of money but what an awful show in comparison to normal terrible presenters and most of the type of stars that normally appear are not. this year in fact there are very few actual stars making an appearance.to do stupid things.

A classic post from BG (RIP) - looks like his keyboard was playing up

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

Lenny Henry ?? What a shame I’m washing my hair tomorrow night.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I don't mind sticking a few quid in the box when someone turns up in the pub in comedic fancy dress. Hell, I'd probably be more generous this year after tonight's result in Belgrade.

Unfortunately for me and for CiN, there won't be anyone in pubs tomorrow night.

Cant watch the show. I live in fear of there being a 'special edition' of Mrs Mrs Brown's Boys.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

What THIS Chris Ramsey MBE...?

9BAE4BD1-AC63-4FDE-AFDC-C702BC364CD3.jpeg

I’m in!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Tonight's show has improved 100% since they dumped off the two illiterates (Scott and Ramsey) and brought on the intelligent professionals who could add a bit of humour and make it a bit enjoyable (Mel Giedroyc and Stephen Mangan).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Tonight's show has improved 100% since they dumped off the two illiterates (Scott and Ramsey) and brought on the intelligent professionals who could add a bit of humour and make it a bit enjoyable (Mel Giedroyc and Stephen Mangan).

But harsh in Alec Scott, she got the prime time part of the show. Not a vintage CiN, certainly lacked the presence of Sir Lenny but enjoyable nonetheless. The Peter Crouch and Andy Murray tennis match was genius. :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here