Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 man squad

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can someone please explain why Murray isn't considered as a home grown player.

I think it's either:

1. that the non-league club(s) he was at early in his career such as Workington Reds are not deemed to come under the FA, although I'm not sure that's the case, or

2. that he spent a year in the States at Wilmington Hammerheads, meaning he didn't spend 3 years under the age of 21 with FA affiliated clubs.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think it's either:

1. that the non-league club(s) he was at early in his career such as Workington Reds are not deemed to come under the FA, although I'm not sure that's the case, or

2. that he spent a year in the States at Wilmington Hammerheads, meaning he didn't spend 3 years under the age of 21 with FA affiliated clubs.

Yeah, basing it on dates from Transfermarkt he only did about 1 year 7 months at Workington before going to Wilmington.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Should the Albion sign a couple of mid-20's players in January, how does that work with the 25 man PL squad rule, please?

Would the club have to remove a couple of existing players within the original 25?
The 25 man squad rule doesn't apply ( in effect ) between Jan 1st and Jan 31st because changes to it can be made between those dates.

On Feb 1st it is then re-nominated and locked in again.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I am on twitter and do actually follow that account as it turns out, but must have missed that tweet for some reason. Do you know what position Araujo plays?

And no apologies needed whatsoever for the plug - you do a fine job and I know it's greatly appreciated on here. KUTGW! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Midfield, apparently - Soccer Academy Alliance Canada

And if he's any good, we owe a debt to his older sister:-

[video]http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=757051&binId=1.1272429&playlistPageNum=1[/video]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Amber = those in the last year of contract.

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. Krul
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk
10. Duffy
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell
17. Knockaert
18. March
19. Murphy
20. Skalak
21. Izquierdo
22. Groß
U21 Brown
23. Murray
24. Baldock
25. Hemed

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Amber = those in the last year of contract.

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. Krul
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk
10. Duffy
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens
15. Kayal
16. Sidwell
17. Knockaert
18. March
19. Murphy
20. Skalak
21. Izquierdo
22. Groß
U21 Brown
23. Murray
24. Baldock
25. Hemed
Didn't Maenpaa sign a two year contract recently?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer
Bold = those with no PL minutes so far after 9 games ( those with * have had significant injuries )

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. Krul
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk
10. Duffy
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens
15. Kayal*
16. Sidwell*
17. Knockaert
18. March
19. Murphy
20. Skalak
21. Izquierdo
22. Groß
U21 Brown
23. Murray
24. Baldock*
25. Hemed

So, as things stand it is looking like Skalak, and Goldson ( loan ) out in January, and a striker and a defender in.

Sidwell may also be vulnerable for replacement in the squad if his injury drags on.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Amber = those in the last year of contract - who can 'walk away on a free' in the summer
Bold = those with no PL minutes so far after 9 games ( those with * have had significant injuries )

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. Krul
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk
10. Duffy
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens
15. Kayal*
16. Sidwell*
17. Knockaert
18. March
19. Murphy
20. Skalak
21. Izquierdo
22. Groß
U21 Brown
23. Murray
24. Baldock*
25. Hemed

So, as things stand it is looking like Skalak, and Goldson ( loan ) out in January, and a striker and a defender in.

Sidwell may also be vulnerable for replacement in the squad if his injury drags on.

Yes, I agree with all that. The problem might be finding someone to take Skalak, but he ought to become aware of the urgency of the situation if he knows that he won't make the 25. We need to get rid of one player if we actually sign that elusive forward in January, and Skalak seems to be the prime candidate.
We really ought to get negotiating with Uwe and Hemed, as they're the out-of-contract players we most want to keep hold of.

Seagulls perm

Banned
Apr 20, 2017
We should just go for it. Points accumulated already and profile of fixtures remaining tells us we are on for a secure mid-table finish. We are an attractive option, great stadium, ever growing fan base, a club that is going places. Cheeky bid for Zaha?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes, I agree with all that. The problem might be finding someone to take Skalak, but he ought to become aware of the urgency of the situation if he knows that he won't make the 25. We need to get rid of one player if we actually sign that elusive forward in January, and Skalak seems to be the prime candidate.
We really ought to get negotiating with Uwe and Hemed, as they're the out-of-contract players we most want to keep hold of.

Agree re Skalak. Hemed may be down to what happens for the next few months. If Murray plays like he did on Friday more often, Hemed may find himself on the bench with the prospect of another striker coming in January. He may decide he'd rather wait until the end of the season to decide on what to do.

I'm not his biggest fan in terms of his form over the last year or so but if Bong carries on playing like he did last Friday, we'll be looking to negotiate a new deal with him soon too.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

1. Ryan
2. Maenpaa
3. Krul
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Rosenior
7. Suttner
8. Bong
9. Dunk
10. Duffy
11. Hunemeier
12. Goldson
13. Pröpper
14. Stephens
15. Kayal*
16. Sidwell*
17. Knockaert
18. March
19. Murphy
20. Skalak
21. Izquierdo
22. Groß
U21 Brown
23. Murray
24. Baldock*
25. Hemed

I'd be looking at some youngsters who don't count in the 25, then may even consider only 2 goalkeepers.
With our formation of 4-5-1 likely to see us through all season we would want 2 for each position plus 2 additional strikers and a versatile defender. So an additional central midfielder, centre forward and winger in for Krul, Skalak & Murphy plus an U21 up front

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have no idea whether Hunemeier wants to go back to Germany or not next season.

It may not be possible for the club to extend his contract, but I hope they at least try to.

I'd also be in favour of offering Hemed a new deal asap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here