Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] That roar when we scored

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I also noticed that the "you can tell them all that we STAND OR FALL" line has now significantly taken over the brain-dead "going up to win the Cup" line in our magnificent anthem. Its taken a while, but the masses are now drowning out the dullards. Fantastic.

I wish it was true in N1D, still Dur Dur Dur winthecup from the majority unfortunately

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watford i think. No idea why though.

That's right. I should've known, being as I went there this season. I did a Google on why Everton run out to Z-Cars:

"one of the fans, who played PC Sweet on the front desk, was an Evertonian; one day he brought a few of the cast to watch the team. In recognition of that, the team came out on the field to the Z-Cars theme, it has stuck ever since.”

Bit rubbish, that. Imagine if Michael Crawford was an Everton fan and took the cast along, they could've been running out to Some Mothers Do Ave Em.

Oh, and Watford run out to Z-Cars because the manager at the time in 1963, Bill McGarry, decided that he liked the tune. So that was that. :facepalm:

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
I'm so proud of our anthem, because its unique to BHA and has true meaning and heritage.

Everton run out to the theme from Z-Cars. So does someone else (I forget who). Why ? Whats the connection between EFC and a naff old 60s cop show ? And don't even get me started on "Glad All Over".

We're fortunate to have such an iconic anthem, and one that the fans can belt out as well. Its bloody marvellous.

Tune is actually Johnny Todd, a traditional Liverpool children's song
'Johnny Todd he took a notion
For to cross the ocean wide.
There he left his true love a-weeping
Waiting by the Liverpool tide.'

boik

That's right. I should've known, being as I went there this season. I did a Google on why Everton run out to Z-Cars:

"one of the fans, who played PC Sweet on the front desk, was an Evertonian; one day he brought a few of the cast to watch the team. In recognition of that, the team came out on the field to the Z-Cars theme, it has stuck ever since.”

Bit rubbish, that. Imagine if Michael Crawford was an Everton fan and took the cast along, they could've been running out to Some Mothers Do Ave Em.

Oh, and Watford run out to Z-Cars because the manager at the time in 1963, Bill McGarry, decided that he liked the tune. So that was that. :facepalm:

Shame Benny Hill wasn't a Palace fan!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm so proud of our anthem, because its unique to BHA and has true meaning and heritage.

Everton run out to the theme from Z-Cars. So does someone else (I forget who). Why ? Whats the connection between EFC and a naff old 60s cop show ? And don't even get me started on "Glad All Over".

We're fortunate to have such an iconic anthem, and one that the fans can belt out as well. Its bloody marvellous.

It's actually an old song called 'Johnny Todd' about a sailor sailing out from Liverpool (hence the Scouse connection). Z-cars just used the tune.

EDIT: bugger beaten to it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tune is actually Johnny Todd, a traditional Liverpool children's song
'Johnny Todd he took a notion
For to cross the ocean wide.
There he left his true love a-weeping
Waiting by the Liverpool tide.'

So it is. Something about a sailor going abroad and leaving his scouse bird behind. By the time he comes back she's gone and married some other bloke.

Stirring stuff.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
The North stand as usual was just outstanding for the best part of the game.

If only there was a way to combine the 2 sets of singers the noise would be even louder. 2 Different songs are being sung at the same time and one tends to drown out the other.

If the centre of the stand is singing the people under the press box sometimes cant hear them and start their own song, and visa versa.

Not sure how to combine both sets of fans to sing as one.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The North stand as usual was just outstanding for the best part of the game.

If only there was a way to combine the 2 sets of singers the noise would be even louder. 2 Different songs are being sung at the same time and one tends to drown out the other.

If the centre of the stand is singing the people under the press box sometimes cant hear them and start their own song, and visa versa.

Not sure how to combine both sets of fans to sing as one.

I am. Terracing. Pay on the Gate.

I think all Bundesliga grounds have large standing areas now and the atmosphere they generate is fantastic. PB ruled out even safe standing at the Amex years ago.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
PB ruled out even safe standing at the Amex years ago.

No he didn't. He said they were open to the idea, but until the legislation changes in this country there was little point in considering it. And in fact when fans were invited to a forum to discuss it, there was so little interest that it died on its arse anyway.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
No he didn't. He said they were open to the idea, but until the legislation changes in this country there was little point in considering it. And in fact when fans were invited to a forum to discuss it, there was so little interest that it died on its arse anyway.

Pretty sure interest would ramp up if it were actually legally possible to install.

Anyway, it's clear safe standing doesn't work.. look at them all SITTING DOWN ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMwZ45H71eQ

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Is there really that much difference between Watford adopting a song because their manager liked it, and us and Palace being rivals because our managers didn't like each other?

:shrug:

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Theory,
Was the noise that bit ramped up because it was AK that scored? I guess we all feel the “love” for our wee French magician. I guess we all want him do well in the premier league, for us but also for himself. It’s well publicised that he’s had a rough time of it lately and if anyone deserves to have a great season it’s him. I know that is the most that crazy I have ever gone over an Albion goal. Not sure why but I think it’s because it was Knocky. He’s a petulant wee bugger sometimes but I’ll forgive him that. The AK song after the goal was awesome and I hope that helps him, even in a small way feel a bit better.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Theory,
Was the noise that bit ramped up because it was AK that scored? I guess we all feel the “love” for our wee French magician. I guess we all want him do well in the premier league, for us but also for himself. It’s well publicised that he’s had a rough time of it lately and if anyone deserves to have a great season it’s him. I know that is the most that crazy I have ever gone over an Albion goal. Not sure why but I think it’s because it was Knocky. He’s a petulant wee bugger sometimes but I’ll forgive him that. The AK song after the goal was awesome and I hope that helps him, even in a small way feel a bit better.

Nail on head I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here