Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They did go up as champions when he played for them.

That's true so he must have been OK that year as well but his Scotland performances leave a lot to be desired. I like keepers who are comfortable with the basics as opposed to great shot stoppers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh not David Marshall. You obviously don't watch Scotland matches too much
Come on Noo, by now you should be able to see this coming.

Marshall played a blinder, for Cardiff one evening, at the AMEX, you know what that means?

It wasn't even a blinder, just one of those games when you're entrenched in the oppositions half.
Have a pooh load of shots, and he saved every one.
Individually DM would have been disappointed to have let any one shot in, but he has gained this reputation by virtue of the fact he never looked like making a single crucial mistake.

Not something that can be said of all 'keepers.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Great shot and penalty stopper. Good marshaller of the defence. Good at collecting crosses. Superb team player. Wonderful man.

However... some of the most heart stopping moments this season have been when Stockdale has been almost caught in possession.

He got away with it most times, BUT imagine if he'd been up against some of the nippiest strikers in the world - the kind that he'll come up against every week in the Premier League. The kind that will bury any half chance.

I wonder if this is something Hughton is thinking about for next season?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Come on Noo, by now you should be able to see this coming.

Marshall played a blinder, for Cardiff one evening, at the AMEX, you know what that means?

It wasn't even a blinder, just one of those games when you're entrenched in the oppositions half.
Have a pooh load of shots, and he saved every one.
Individually DM would have been disappointed to have let any one shot in, but he has gained this reputation by virtue of the fact he never looked like making a single crucial mistake.

Not something that can be said of all 'keepers.

He also played a match like that at Carrow Road when CH was manager at Norwich. I would hope Chris wasn't swayed by that though because at Celtic he wasn't that great. Nor was he that great when he was at Norwich. Keepers do have good seasons and I can't deny he did well at Cardiff but both Norwich and Celtic ''got rid''

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Keepers do have good seasons

And indifferent or settling in seasons too....Stockdale was the biggest waste of £1m shortly after he arrived to some,mind you so were the rest to be fair until Christmas that year.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
And indifferent or settling in seasons too....Stockdale was the biggest waste of £1m shortly after he arrived to some,mind you so were the rest to be fair until Christmas that year.

To be sure that we have more than one season in the PL we can't afford a keeper to have a settling in period. Look at the Man City keepers. Their keepers have been costly due to ''settling in periods''

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
*cough* club concerned over his fitness, hence offer of 1-year contract and not the 2-year deal DS wants/wanted *cough*

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To be sure that we have more than one season in the PL we can't afford a keeper to have a settling in period. Look at the Man City keepers. Their keepers have been costly due to ''settling in periods''

No,we can't and despite reports by certain newspapers today i don't necessarily think Stockdale is on his way anywhere,but any body we sign will still have to settle in and the position of GK is one of the hardest at times for the just that.

Looking at Man City re affirms this as you rightly say..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Can't be arsed to read through this, is he actually off or does nobody know?

He remains an Albion player until the end of June....unless he does not..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
*cough* club concerned over his fitness, hence offer of 1-year contract and not the 2-year deal DS wants/wanted *cough*

He is a bit lardy :smile:

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Great shot and penalty stopper. Good marshaller of the defence. Good at collecting crosses. Superb team player. Wonderful man.

However... some of the most heart stopping moments this season have been when Stockdale has been almost caught in possession.

He got away with it most times, BUT imagine if he'd been up against some of the nippiest strikers in the world - the kind that he'll come up against every week in the Premier League. The kind that will bury any half chance.

I wonder if this is something Hughton is thinking about for next season?

DS played for Fulham when they were Premier League - experienced, knows what's coming with PL strikers

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hate to say this.... but I've had my worries about DS. His run of penalty saves were epic, and of course he won us (or saved us) a lot of points. But PiG was a much better shot stopper (although he his powers have diminished as he has started to morph into.... well the pix below tell the tale. DS has the potential to become a great keeper (they don't seem to hit their stride till their 30s) but he's not there yet, and I worry that he may lose us winnable points next season. Apologies if this is just me.

mickey-rourke-104760.jpgTomasz_Kuszczak_2016.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here