Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone thinking about next year's BM10k? Early bird prices close at 11.59pm on 3rd September. After that you'll have to pay another four quid. The email also said "entries will close on 4th November" which seems pretty early to me as I didn't enter till January this year.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I've been banned by the household authorities from even thinking about a marathon until our children are older, half-marathon training can be fitted into and around domestic life/duties. Marathon training is downright antisocial!

Good luck with the half.

We have two children 4 & 6 and expecting our 3rd on christmas day.. and im in kind of the same situation.. I've promised my wife that the upcoming Downslink ultra, Beachy Head and Velothon marathons will be my last for a year before the baby arrives.. and that i might just do some long days over the downs to compensate entering any races next year.

I'm keeping my plans for 2017 ie the GUCR & TP100 away from the Authority... until well into next year.. or i guess until im on the start line!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Loads of Brooks GTS 14 IN TK Maxx Brighton for £35. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440690479.754435.jpg

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Loads of Brooks GTS 14 IN TK Maxx Brighton for £35. View attachment 68067

Was considering a pair this week as an upgrade to my standard Nike jjb pair . Been running few times a week for a year or so and thought finally should get a decent pair ( even though pretty quick without all the gear ) .

Plumped for Asics gt 2000 v3 . Did a 5 miler to test them out and what happens ....... Left ankle / top of foot now in pain for last 3 days .

These hi tec shoes supposed to soften up and be run in ? Will try again as maybe just coincidence .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you remember if they had a range of sizes? size 9's in particular?!

A decent range of sizes, yes and I'm 99% sure there were UK 9s.

I would have bought the shoe in my hand but they only had my size in a narrow B fitting. Most of the others I checked in smaller sizes were a D.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow! I love Hastings Half, probably my favourite ever race. What times did he win it in, out of interest?

Do you still get a horse brass medal?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Parkrun Southsea - fast, flat, no wind = no excuses.
21:05; AG 76.05%.

Over to you Knocky; best of luck for your run next Saturday.

Watched Mo's medal winning 5k. They went through the first 2K in 6 minutes. Brendan Foster's comments - 'very slow, that's not even jogging'!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No Park Run today as haven't run for a week and wanted some mile under my belt so I ran 8 miles this morning from Hove Street to Shoreham and back in 56:53.

Hoping to get out Monday morning and then Park Run next week whether that be Hove Prom or Hove Park. I'll probably let the wind speed dictate.

https://connect.garmin.com/splits/881236663

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Parkrun Southsea - fast, flat, no wind = no excuses.
21:05; AG 76.05%.

Over to you Knocky; best of luck for your run next Saturday.

Watched Mo's medal winning 5k. They went through the first 2K in 6 minutes. Brendan Foster's comments - 'very slow, that's not even jogging'!

72.94% at full effort for me today at one second faster. Bookies have you placed at 1/900 to win but as a 900/1 outsider I won't give up till next week. Pigs may fly!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
No parkrun for me today, so while Brighton were busy putting Ipswich to the sword I pootled off for a 13 odd mile run instead in order to assess my state after a recent illness. Turns out I'm reasonably okay, and clocked just under 1:40 for the half marathon at an easy pace. Need to do a bit of speed work before Barns Green though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This morning I completed an 11 mile run in an unremarkable time. I had a break in the middle though.

My longest of long runs have been through Shoreham this month and each time I've done it I've passed the Toll Bridge twice. Today I ran to the bridge with my Brighton scarf in a carrier bag and left it there, tied near the England flag as a mark of respect. Even though it was 7.30 in the morning there were plenty of people there contemplating silently.

I stayed a while and read the messages. I could not believe how many there were.

It turns out that not only did Snoobs know a couple of my friends from REMF games but his Mum is also my friend's daughter's teacher. These friends lost their son suddenly when he had just turned 18 and Mrs Shilt apparently helped their daughter though the worst of it. Although I was taking a scarf down there to tie with the football family tributes it was this thought that kept appearing and I had to move on before I lost it.

Having a break at least allowed me to pound a very decent next mile before tiredness overtook me again on the way home, having run most of the 11 miles with a swirling crosswind, not strong but never behind me. I have also been on the wine every day this week and I think taking this route today will allow me to break that cycle too.

1run.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
V
No Park Run today as haven't run for a week and wanted some mile under my belt so I ran 8 miles this morning from Hove Street to Shoreham and back in 56:53.

Hoping to get out Monday morning and then Park Run next week whether that be Hove Prom or Hove Park. I'll probably let the wind speed dictate.

https://connect.garmin.com/splits/881236663

I will go along with that. I need someone way in front as I attempt an unfit effort to get near an impossible 20:10 to match old man Gary Nelson's teacher AG percentage.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
V

I will go along with that. I need someone way in front as I attempt an unfit effort to get near an impossible 20:10 to match old man Gary Nelson's teacher AG percentage.

Would prefer 'that legend Garry Nelson's teacher' but 'old man' is probably more accurate. And given the odds you quoted in your earlier post I might put a quid on you to do so!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
V

Hove prom will naturally give you c.20 seconds improvement on Hove Park if the wind isn't too strong. I reckon you could threaten sub 20 if you run well especially as you were robbed of about a weeks worth of drinking at the cricket due to both sides batting like it were the death overs of a 20/20 match rather than Tavare or Boycott it when the ball was moving around.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Completed the Will Page Newick 10k this morning. My target was sub 50 and managed to come in at 48:50 so very happy with that.
It's my 3rd year in this race after a long break from running and 2 years ago posted 1:06 which spurred me on to do more.
Now celebrating with some long man draught ale.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Completed the Will Page Newick 10k this morning. My target was sub 50 and managed to come in at 48:50 so very happy with that.
It's my 3rd year in this race after a long break from running and 2 years ago posted 1:06 which spurred me on to do more.
Now celebrating with some long man draught ale.

Hot and humid for running today, as well. Enjoy the Long Man draught. I'll be starting soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here