Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber: The Transfer Window

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You said he was off our radar until the last day. That is cleat nonsense. There is no way on earth the club would only start taking an interest in a player the moment he becomes available. He would have been scouted and researched ages beforehand. If you think only players that are available are on the clubs radar you are deluded.

Pretty clear you just want a Friday night argument, because you're really not reading what I'm posting.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nonsense. He could have been on the radar for ages, scouted and researched. The fact he was not available does not mean we were not interested in him until he was.

But we know he wasn't on CH's radar. This was revealed inherently within Naylor's PR article of 1st September when he said

"With time running out, Albion turned their attention to Janssen (below) at Tottenham. He did not fit manager Chris Hughton's criteria for the type of striker he wanted as precisely as Andone, but the signing by Spurs of Fernando Llorente from Swansea sparked Janssen's availability."

This isn't a criticism of anyone at the club regarding Janssen. Simply the facts according to the powers that be.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, I am just fed up of people assuming that the recruitment team are a bunch of reactionary idiots who sit about doing nothing until the last moment. It is unfair and uncalled for.

You've obviously not read any of my posts, and taken that one out of context then. I'd suggest perhaps you be less reactionary yourself to be perfectly honest.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm lost to what you're point is? I would imagine every premier league player has no doubt got some scouting information by every other club. What I assume you are saying is that we would have been aware of his ability etc. I've not said we wouldn't have been, but he was only a potential signing, and therefore on our radar as a signing on that last day. It's not rocket science, but you seem to be making a meal of it.

Nailed it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think there were probably a number of jobs to get done in the 4 months.

We've failed to get our striker. Everyone agrees this is not good news, but I think there are a number of people on here that would throw the baby out with the bathwater in their attempts to find a culprit.
Indeed. Blame Culture leads to Blame Tantrums.

Best to just quietly and professionally learn the lessons.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Keeping hold of Dunk and Knockaert was no small thing.

Could still have probably done with another striker although if Baldock comes back well less so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How does it work with loan signings in the Jan window? Now Krul is a transfer does this free up a loan place?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Top priority of the window was a Centre Forward....Failed so window was a failure...
So you'd have been happier if we'd got in an over-priced panic buy that CH wasn't that keen on at the last minute?

The last day scramble did look pretty undignified and desparate, but in retrospect our summer transfer window is looking better with every game - in fact the complete opposite of a failure. I was a bit worried when our £15M record signing couldn't even get in the team at first, but he's looking good too now.

Assuming we break our transfer record for a striker in January (and I'm pretty convinced we'll try), and with Baldock coming back, you start to wonder who the hell is going to be moved over to make way for them - some problem for CH!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This.

Bloom's incompetence in August has cost us a Champions League place.

Amazing that so few lickers are pushing for Bloom out.

I blame Dick Tight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here