Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]918981884884979712[/tweet]

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Apparently UBER have said Harvey Weinstein need to up his game if he wants to sign on as a driver for them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Apparently UBER have said Harvey Weinstein need to up his game if he wants to sign on as a driver for them.

A surprising comment from someone who has a daughter.

If you're going to make jokes about rapists you need to make damned sure they are funnier than that.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
A surprising comment from someone who has a daughter.

If you're going to make jokes about rapists you need to make damned sure they are funnier than that.
1.) I haven’t got a daughter
2.) Has he been convicted of rape ?

As far as I know he hasn’t , so perhaps you’d care to abide by the principle of innocent until proven guilty ? He may well be a total creep and sleazebag but last time I looked that wasn’t a criminal offence or I’m sure you’d be behind bars as we speak , all in all nibble this post is a fine example of why you’re considered an utter , utter bellend , if this was a school report I’m sure I’d be rating it as “must do better”.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I would be surprised if most women don't have a story of sexual assault of some degree involving flattery and/or abuse of power. I know I have. I've never told a soul out of embarrassment that I was that naive and stupid.

It's a small minority of men who behave in this way, but I imagine it's happened to a lot of women. They've just never told anyone, because at best you feel like an idiot. At worst people will think that you're trying to get some kind of advantage.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I would be surprised if most women don't have a story of sexual assault of some degree involving flattery and/or abuse of power. I know I have. I've never told a soul out of embarrassment that I was that naive and stupid.

It's a small minority of men who behave in this way, but I imagine it's happened to a lot of women. They've just never told anyone, because at best you feel like an idiot. At worst people will think that you're trying to get some kind of advantage.

Only a small minority of people would think you were stupid and their opinion isn't important. Those you'd feel comfortable telling probably wouldn't. You shouldn't feel embarassed because a man acted like an ar*e h*le or worse.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Weinstein is reprehensible but makes you wonder why some women kept quiet after their ordeal. Maybe they were more afraid of losing 'parts' and 'potential' well paid careers. Why didn't any of them say anything earlier to protect other women from a predator?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Weinstein is reprehensible but makes you wonder why some women kept quiet after their ordeal Maybe they were more afraid of losing 'parts' and 'potential' well paid careers. Why didn't any of them say anything earlier to protect other women from a predator?

We all live in a conspiracy of slience, turning blind eyes to things, keeping schtum, even blaming outselves, so we can fit in and survive. That's why we have rules and laws - to protect people from predation.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
We all live in a conspiracy of slience, turning blind eyes to things, keeping schtum, even blaming outselves, so we can fit in and survive. That's why we have rules and laws - to protect people from predation.

Agreed but laws cannot be enacted until someone is caught can they? Fortunately he has been now and I would expect to see some sort of charges at some point.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Weinstein is reprehensible but makes you wonder why some women kept quiet after their ordeal Maybe they were more afraid of losing 'parts' and 'potential' well paid careers. Why didn't any of them say anything earlier to protect other women from a predator?

Probably for the same reason that young footballers didn't tell anyone about their sexual abuse by coaches after their ordeal.

Maybe they were more afraid of losing their 'place on the team' and potential well-paid careers. Combined with a deep sense of shame and not having the confidence to rock what seems like a very sturdy boat.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Probably for the same reason that young footballers didn't tell anyone about their sexual abuse by coaches after their ordeal.

Maybe they were more afraid of losing their 'place on the team' and potential well-paid careers. Combined with a deep sense of shame and not having the confidence to rock what seems like a very sturdy boat.

Yes as agreed above but it is a shame that so many more victims suffer because of it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Another one pops up :rolleyes:

So you've worked hard for however long to try and make your way in your chosen career. You come up against somebody who could potentially give you your big break, or ruin you (it seems highly probable that he threatened to damage their careers if they didn't give him what he wants: abusers frequently use threats to achieve their aims). Maybe there's a split second where you think you can bury it at the back of your mind for the sake of one man destroying your chances.

It's incredibly common for those on the receiving end of sexual harassment or abuse to minimise it in their minds. We see things happen to other people and we think "how horrendous", but when it happens to us, we don't see it in the same light. Cards on the table: years ago I'd been on a night out with colleagues (not in my current job). As we walked back home, the numbers dwindled as people gradually reached their homes. In the end, it was just me and one guy left walking. As we passed a park, he grabbed hold of me forcefully, shoved his tongue down my throat and dragged me towards some nearby bushes, saying more than once (I've never forgotten his words) "Come on: you and I both know it's going to happen".

After a bit of pushing and shoving, I eventually managed to fend him off before he got what he- evidently- wanted, told him to leave me alone, and walked off, looking back over my shoulder as I went. I didn't even want to run or to make a scene, which makes absolutely no sense to me now. At the time, whilst it wasn't nice, I didn't know what to think. I trivialised what had happened in my mind, and tried to forget about the whole unpleasant experience. I don't consider myself the wallflower type, nor somebody who would ignore wrongdoing. Yet I look back at that now, and I ask myself why I never reported him to anyone. Why I didn't ever say anything to him when we were back at work subsequently. If I'd seen that happening to anyone else, I'd have told them unequivocally to do something about it, whether that be criminally, or on an internal work basis. I don't remember thinking I needed to keep quiet for the sake of my career. I suppose I figured it was just One Of Those Things that happens in life if you're female, and that perhaps it wasn't worth making a fuss about. Because it was "only" me.

If I'm honest with myself now, I probably thought (1) it's my word against his; (2) nobody will believe me on that basis; (3) some people will choose to believe that perhaps I'd somehow led him on (I hadn't: he was one of the bigger tossers in the office), and thus I was fair game :rolleyes: (4) it can't be sexual assault or harassment because that happens to other people, not me.

If you've never been on the receiving end of anything of this nature- and hopefully that's most of you- then I get why you think that victims should "do more". But the human mind works in funny ways in traumatic, frightening or uncomfortable situations, especially where sex is concerned. It's still a taboo subject, and you only have to look at the rape conviction rate in this country to know that victims are all too frequently the subject of vile unwarranted conjecture.

I can totally grasp why most of the women on the receiving end of Weinstein's alleged behaviour didn't speak out at the time. It can be a very lonely world when you've been convinced by the perpetrator that you're the only person something like that has ever happened to.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

So you've worked hard for however long to try and make your way in your chosen career. You come up against somebody who could potentially give you your big break, or ruin you (it seems highly probable that he threatened to damage their careers if they didn't give him what he wants: abusers frequently use threats to achieve their aims). Maybe there's a split second where you think you can bury it at the back of your mind for the sake of one man destroying your chances.

It's incredibly common for those on the receiving end of sexual harassment or abuse to minimise it in their minds. We see things happen to other people and we think "how horrendous", but when it happens to us, we don't see it in the same light. Cards on the table: years ago I'd been on a night out with colleagues (not in my current job). As we walked back home, the numbers dwindled as people gradually reached their homes. In the end, it was just me and one guy left walking. As we passed a park, he grabbed hold of me forcefully, shoved his tongue down my throat and dragged me towards some nearby bushes, saying more than once (I've never forgotten his words) "Come on: you and I both know it's going to happen".

After a bit of pushing and shoving, I eventually managed to fend him off before he got what he- evidently- wanted, told him to leave me alone, and walked off, looking back over my shoulder as I went. I didn't even want to run or to make a scene, which makes absolutely no sense to me now. At the time, whilst it wasn't nice, I didn't know what to think. I trivialised what had happened in my mind, and tried to forget about the whole unpleasant experience. I don't consider myself the wallflower type, nor somebody who would ignore wrongdoing. Yet I look back at that now, and I ask myself why I never reported him to anyone. Why I didn't ever say anything to him when we were back at work subsequently. If I'd seen that happening to anyone else, I'd have told them unequivocally to do something about it, whether that be criminally, or on an internal work basis. I don't remember thinking I needed to keep quiet for the sake of my career. I suppose I figured it was just One Of Those Things that happens in life if you're female, and that perhaps it wasn't worth making a fuss about. Because it was "only" me.

If I'm honest with myself now, I probably thought (1) it's my word against his; (2) nobody will believe me on that basis; (3) some people will choose to believe that perhaps I'd somehow led him on (I hadn't: he was one of the bigger tossers in the office), and thus I was fair game :rolleyes: (4) it can't be sexual assault or harassment because that happens to other people, not me.

If you've never been on the receiving end of anything of this nature- and hopefully that's most of you- then I get why you think that victims should "do more". But the human mind works in funny ways in traumatic, frightening or uncomfortable situations, especially where sex is concerned. It's still a taboo subject, and you only have to look at the rape conviction rate in this country to know that victims are all too frequently the subject of vile unwarranted conjecture.

I can totally grasp why most of the women on the receiving end of Weinstein's alleged behaviour didn't speak out at the time. It can be a very lonely world when you've been convinced by the perpetrator that you're the only person something like that has ever happened to.

Wow! Huge respect to you.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Then thank heavens that at least one victim kicked up a fuss. I also admire your fortitude to prosper and not flounder. May I ask do you think your 'attacker' continued to persecute others?

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Weinstein is reprehensible but makes you wonder why some women kept quiet after their ordeal. Maybe they were more afraid of losing 'parts' and 'potential' well paid careers. Why didn't any of them say anything earlier to protect other women from a predator?

I think it is more a case of not wanting to suffer condemnation themselves. The power and influence these men wield is far reaching. That power can influence the lives and careers or jobs of a lot of people. I'm not just talking about the entertainment industry but even in more mundane lives. For instance even the owner or manager of a small corporation or business can abuse his power whereby people would be too scared to side with the victim. People are naturally concerned about their own welfare and if there is a risk to their own livlihood they will turn a blind eye or even support the abuser and justify their stance by going into denial that anything wrong has taken place. I wish people had more moral courage but sadly when their own interests are on the line they don't. Maybe we'd all be guilty of that in a certain situation. I'd like to think I wouldn't. I've been tested myself before and thankfully done the right thing but who's to say that would always be the case if my own livlihood was really on the line. I wouldn't be very proud of myself if I didn't, I know that much.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Then tank heavens that at least one victim kicked up a fuss. I also admire your fortitude to prosper and not flounder. May I ask do you think your 'attacker' continued to persecute others?

Well that's the thing I have to ask myself, and potentially live with, isn't it? I hope it was just a drunken one-off on his part, though having witnessed his behaviour in other areas of life subsequently, it would come as no surprise to me if it turned out he'd harassed other women. I've already said that I must have convinced myself it was nothing, so perhaps it never occurred to me that it could be a similar issue for somebody else?

Don't get me wrong: he didn't get what he wanted (the fact that I even feel like I need to confirm that says a lot about our prejudices when it comes to sexual offences, doesn't it?!!), and it's not something I think about now, unlike victims of "proper" assaults, but y'know, it does spring to mind and frustrate me when people trivialise inappropriate or predatory sexual behaviour.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Harvey said if you suck my dick I will make you famous...

...said a lot of famous women.

Well I think he kept his end of the bargain.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I'm sure some women did willingly, but that isn't what these victims are saying. They are saying he forced himself on them, by groping, assaulting and raping them.
Believe it or not, there is a difference.

Rape and sexual harassment are not about sex, but power.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Idiot .... that's you I mean. He's even worse.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here