Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has happened to Brighton?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ah the penny had dropped, I see why so many of you hate the place, when you don't have a social life and spend all your time in Brighton stuck in traffic I can see why you'd call it a dump.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
As everywhere, Brighton has its faults.

If you know where to go, it's great.

If you're the type who just gets off the train and heads south, and then along to the Palace Pier, you deserve everything you get.

Most people reading NSC are Albion fans, and Brighton is the name on the badge.

Stop running it down.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Christ I wish more of you miserable old farts would bugger off, and don't bother coming back if you hate it so much, unless it's for a game of course

I have buggered off. I rarely come back. The place I live in now has a perfectly good social life, it just isn't mad busy like Brighton. I never drive into Brighton. If I go I hop on a bus or train. Much less hassle.
Brighton is a young man's town. When I was younger and living there I didn't mind the dirt, the crowds, the pricey beer. But when you grow up, priorities change and other things take priority.
People spend far too much time and money in the pub in Brighton. Time and money I simply can't afford.
I genuinely see the appeal of Brighton, but it is falling into disrepair in the centre and seafront. Places like the Dials still seem nice, improved even but for a few years around the millenium Brighton looked like it was ahead of the game. It was building a digital economy better than anywhere but outside of London. Media companies were thriving, it looked like a real industry other than service and property was growing and then.... it just kind of dissipated with rising living costs meaning new starters couldn't afford premises or to live near work.
A few of the bigger companies like Leo (formerly Epic) and Kineo survive but so many went sideways and the bubble burst. Funnily enough there is far more work in the areas around Shoreham, Worthing, Newhaven etc than there ever will be again in Brighton. Shame.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have buggered off. I rarely come back. The place I live in now has a perfectly good social life, it just isn't mad busy like Brighton. I never drive into Brighton. If I go I hop on a bus or train. Much less hassle.
Brighton is a young man's town. When I was younger and living there I didn't mind the dirt, the crowds, the pricey beer. But when you grow up, priorities change and other things take priority.
People spend far too much time and money in the pub in Brighton. Time and money I simply can't afford.
I genuinely see the appeal of Brighton, but it is falling into disrepair in the centre and seafront. Places like the Dials still seem nice, improved even but for a few years around the millenium Brighton looked like it was ahead of the game. It was building a digital economy better than anywhere but outside of London. Media companies were thriving, it looked like a real industry other than service and property was growing and then.... it just kind of dissipated with rising living costs meaning new starters couldn't afford premises or to live near work.
A few of the bigger companies like Leo (formerly Epic) and Kineo survive but so many went sideways and the bubble burst. Funnily enough there is far more work in the areas around Shoreham, Worthing, Newhaven etc than there ever will be again in Brighton. Shame.
Fair enough response
Oh remember to get some batteries for your hearing aid on the way home[emoji57]

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Brighton when I was a student was a sort of mad playground. As you get a little older it can look a tad grimy... still has a lot of character.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It's always been a bit shitty but I still love living in Brighton.

I've travelled extensively and I'm fully aware of the bubble it exists in, but I'd rather be in that bubble enjoying life and the great things Brighton has to offer but then again I'm a white middle class bearded, tattooed vegetarian hipster cliche*.

* and I couldn't care less.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm a Brightonian and still love the place, are bits of it in decline? Yeah clearly, that's every city in the world. They get to a level and then speculators buy them and build new developments and the cycle begins again. I couldn't and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I love my city, my club, my county and my country.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I mean, a look through my posting history would point out the my style is a very OTT aggressive posting style as that's just my style of humour.

However if you want to discuss schematics, I actually visited the center of Swindon for couple of weeks and found it a complete black-hole of fun, expressionism and character. I'd place it alongside Folkstone, Milton Keynes and swathes of South London as the most shitehouse soulless places I've visited/lived. Honestly I feel stupid wasting this many words on it on Swindon, especially to counter-argument Sir Albion, a poster who once moaned that Brighton had too many "festival people" whilst living in Reading, home of the second biggest festival in Britain.

If you like Swindon then bully to you,enjoy it. However personally I'd rather live in a thriving costal town where people are allowed to express themselves than a glorified farmers market where you'll probably get your head kicked in for being a poof if your shoes aren't black, navy or white.

xoxoxox

I have family that live in Swindon so have visited it a couple of times a year for the last 10 years or so. It's ooooookayyy, I'm not sure I could live there.If you're a small 'c' conservative with vanilla tastes, I guess Swindon's pretty good.

It's not really comparing apples with apples though, is it?

I'm also really interested to know the other places in the South-East that Brighton is ten years behind according to the OP. Personally, I quite like where Hastings is going at the moment but I have a feeling he's referring to Crawley, Redhill or Guilford which again isn't really a direct comparison.

Also this student bashing is really tiresome. They bring a hell of a lot of money and skill to Brighton. It's up to Brighton as a city to use them to their full potential.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I like Brighton.

"Brighton looks like a town helping police with their enquiries." I think Graham Greene wrote something like that in Brighton Rock.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's a bloody shite hole:nono:
Every time I visit it gets worse:nono:
Rusty railings
Boarded up buildings everywhere
Homeless people scattered everywhere
Weird scruffy people
Graffiti galore
Buildings that are desperate for a lick of pain and a clean up
It has gone backwards with no funding what's so ever and clearly is a city in decline considering it's on the door step of London and has over 10 million visitors a year spending a fair few whack.
So why is it so bloody poor?

To many students?
Can't attract the right business's ?
The greens?

Really sad to see the way it's going and will only get worse.Many other cities and towns in the south have moved with the times and look clean and well maintained yet Brighton reminds me of Blackpool behind the mile....Facking depressing and full of poverty mostly !!!

Strangely hove looks well tidier and well maintained :)

Policemen have got shorter as well haven't they.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
On a Saturday afternoon I'd often take myself off to the gardens opposite St Nicholas Church. An oasis of quiet and calm, ideal for a relax and a read.

Now its been taken over by the crackheads' tents and the OB do nothing to move them on. Sad and sorry state of affairs.

Love Brighton of course. Always have and always will. Time for the Council and the OB to sort the place out. Sick of tripping over the crackheads blocking the pavements. The Council claims that the high level of students brings a lot of money into the city. 'Bout time they started using it to get the place smartened up.

Jan 30, 2008
It's a bloody shite hole:nono:
Every time I visit it gets worse:nono:
Rusty railings
Boarded up buildings everywhere
Homeless people scattered everywhere
Weird scruffy people
Graffiti galore
Buildings that are desperate for a lick of pain and a clean up
It has gone backwards with no funding what's so ever and clearly is a city in decline considering it's on the door step of London and has over 10 million visitors a year spending a fair few whack.
So why is it so bloody poor?

To many students?
Can't attract the right business's ?
The greens?

Really sad to see the way it's going and will only get worse.Many other cities and towns in the south have moved with the times and look clean and well maintained yet Brighton reminds me of Blackpool behind the mile....Facking depressing and full of poverty mostly !!!

Strangely hove looks well tidier and well maintained :)
Brighton run by the left wing AND wettest of them all the Greens, enough said on the matter
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
On a Saturday afternoon I'd often take myself off to the gardens opposite St Nicholas Church. An oasis of quiet and calm, ideal for a relax and a read.

Now its been taken over by the crackheads' tents and the OB do nothing to move them on. Sad and sorry state of affairs.

Love Brighton of course. Always have and always will. Time for the Council and the OB to sort the place out. Sick of tripping over the crackheads blocking the pavements. The Council claims that the high level of students brings a lot of money into the city. 'Bout time they started using it to get the place smartened up.
THEY LIVE IN SHIT SO THEY WOULDN'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE :wink:
regards
DR

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

LOADS of junkies, bums and wastoids in and around St Nick's all during (and since) the 90's. Nothing new there.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Was it now. Thank you.

Good point though Les - a lot of people who commented on this thread could benefit from making the comparison of the city today, and Graham Greene's Brighton in Brighton Rock. Or watching Richard Attenborough as Pinky - maybe they'd appreciate that Brighton has always had a seedy underbelly and always will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here