Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings - Burton (h)

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Everyone giving 7s and 8s again! I'm surprised at you [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION]. Yes we did what we needed to do and I'm not at all dissapointed, but with these scores you'd think we were playing Peterborough away under Poyet again. The average score today should be around 6 I reckon, with a 7 for Sidwell, Hemed, Knocky, March and Duffy. Am I watching a different game to everyone else?

You're probably right, you could drop a point of all of what I gave and it would probably be a fairer representation, apart from maybe Sidwell.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Stockdale 9
Bruno 7
Pog 7
Dunk 7
Duffy 7
Sidwell 7
Stephens 7
Knockeart 8
March 10
Hemed 8
Baldock 9

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Stockdale - 7 One very good save. Could claim unemployment benefit for the rest of the game
Bruno - 7 That's more like our Bruno
Dunk - 7 Solid but mostly untroubled
Duffy - 8 Imperious. Some nice touches
Pog - 7 Continues to look very solid
Knocky - 8 Did well after early knock. Great cross for Murray's goal
Stephens - 7 Good to have him back
Sidwell -9 Gotta love him. All heart and commitment
Solly - 9 Blinding performance. Back to his best
Baldock - 7 Good link up play. Made a difference having him back
Hemed - 8 Great penalty. Some really good runs.

Kayal - 6
Chuba - 5
Murray - 6

More of the same please!

:albion2:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with your summary at the start then the scores make them sound like Brazil.

You are probably correct. I should have reduced all ratings by one. Must have been thinking more about the second half than the first!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale 7 - did what he had to do.
Bruno 7 - attacked well, some lovely touches that show his undoubted class. But really, untroubled for most of the game.
Duffy 7 - untroubled for most of the game. His passing was surprisingly incisive at times, which helped us break through the lines.
Dunk 7 - see above, without the "surprisingly" inserted.
Pocognoli 7 - didn't start on the same wave length as March, but the improvement was massive in the second half. Excellent defensively.
Knocky 8 - a couple of crucial assists with phenomenal balls. Had 4 on him at times but still sliced through them.
Stephens 7 - sublime one minute, lazy and frustrating the next. It was enough though.
Sidwell 7 - did his job. No more, no less.
March 8 - started poorly, but the second 45 was a tour de force of football.
Baldock 7 - what a difference he made even if he only got the one goal.
Hemed 7 - played well, deserved at least the one goal.

Murray 7 - came on and scored, and looked like he'd taken being dropped personally
Kayal 5 - came on and gave the ball away / committed fouls. It happens...
Akpom 6 - looked sluggish at times, and missed a sitter, but there's potential there.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Stockdale 7 Little to do but stayed awake and made a great save in the 2nd half
Bruno 7 Solid
Dunk 7 Solid
Duffy 7 Solid
Pocognoli 7 Solid
Stephens 7.5 Dictated a lot of the play but didn't play with much urgency
Sidwell 6.5 Didn't play with much urgency. Don't remember him breaking into as run
Knockaert 7 Great at times, disappeared for about 40 mins in the middle of the match
March 7 (5 for the 1st half 9 for the 2nd) Made the difference in the end with some superb trickery and skill but his crossing and delivery in the first half was so weak [puts on tin hat]
Baldock 6.5 Started well but faded a bit. Makes a difference though and great to see him back
Hemed 8 Never stopped running, scored twice.

Subs:
Kayal 6 Still looks a touch off the pace (as expected given the length of his injury)
Akpom 6 Still looks a touch off the pace (as expected as he hasn't played much this season)
Murray 7 Right place, right time for a lovely header.

Mine may be a tad harsh, but to me that was one of the most casual 4-1 wins I've seen. Likely it was because Burton were so poor but we played at walking pace for most of the match.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
Stockdale 7 Little to do but stayed awake and made a great save in the 2nd half
Bruno 7 Solid
Dunk 7 Solid
Duffy 7 Solid
Pocognoli 7 Solid
Stephens 7.5 Dictated a lot of the play but didn't play with much urgency
Sidwell 6.5 Didn't play with much urgency. Don't remember him breaking into as run
Knockaert 7 Great at times, disappeared for about 40 mins in the middle of the match
March 7 (5 for the 1st half 9 for the 2nd) Made the difference in the end with some superb trickery and skill but his crossing and delivery in the first half was so weak [puts on tin hat]
Baldock 6.5 Started well but faded a bit. Makes a difference though and great to see him back
Hemed 8 Never stopped running, scored twice.

Subs:
Kayal 6 Still looks a touch off the pace (as expected given the length of his injury)
Akpom 6 Still looks a touch off the pace (as expected as he hasn't played much this season)
Murray 7 Right place, right time for a lovely header.

Mine may be a tad harsh, but to me that was one of the most casual 4-1 wins I've seen. Likely it was because Burton were so poor but we played at walking pace for most of the match.

Game of opinions, I suppose. But to me that is nuts.

His anticipation, breaking up play and commitment was sensational yesterday.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Game of opinions, I suppose. But to me that is nuts.

His anticipation, breaking up play and commitment was sensational yesterday.
Yeah it's funny isn't it? I'm not saying he played badly at all, just that he didn't seem to be (or need to be) in any rush. To be honest, Burton were so poor I found it difficult to rate any of our players objectively.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Everyone giving 7s and 8s again! I'm surprised at you [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION]. Yes we did what we needed to do and I'm not at all dissapointed, but with these scores you'd think we were playing Peterborough away under Poyet again. The average score today should be around 6 I reckon, with a 7 for Sidwell, Hemed, Knocky, March and Duffy. Am I watching a different game to everyone else?

Marks for the team at Peterborough would have been 9s and 10s. I think 7s and 8s were perfect marks for yesterday's game. We won comfortably whilst reserving energy for Tuesday's game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that overall it was an adequate performance against a very poor Burton so nobody needed to raise their game to win it. So 6 all round except March and Hemed who contested MOM but went for March with 7.5 and Hemed 7. No obvious failures but we looked much better with Stephens and Baldock starting.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

You may be [emoji2]. Whilst I think the back four were average, Sidwell, March, Stephens and Hemed gave a fantastic display and were surely better than a 7.

You can only beat what ever is in front of you and I thought those four destroyed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Overheard a Burton fan on bus talking about team budgets and crowd sizes etc. He said there most expensive signing was 250k with almost everyone else free transfers or loans. Also that they never sell out at home. Even when Newcastle came they only had about 6000. Puts the gulf between us and them into perspective. Not being patronising but they are doing brilliantly to be even competitive in this division.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Sidwell MOTM - the only player who was consistently good over the full 90-plus minutes. Makes the decision to start Norwood in tough away games even more baffling. Hey ho. Roll on Tuesday (& c'mon the Wolves!).
Exactly.... why play Norwood when Sidwell is sat on the bench..... yesterday proved that CH made a bit of a mistake there a couple of times.... hopefully he will continue as is for now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Peterborough was one of our best EVER performances. So that was a 9s and 10s performance. This one is a 7-8 performance.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hughton - 8 - fairly comfy day at the office. Triple substitution knocked out of our rhythm a bit but can see why he wanted game time for the subs and at 3-0 up it was safe

I agree that our substitutions really knocked us out of our stride a bit. Initially I thought it was a bit arrogant but apparently it was about protecting the ones that came off for the Ipswich match.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree that our substitutions really knocked us out of our stride a bit. Initially I thought it was a bit arrogant but apparently it was about protecting the ones that came off for the Ipswich match.

I don't think it is arrogant to think it should be game over at 3-0 at home to a team 20 places below you in the league. It should have been and we were careless to give them a chance.

Two of the players who went off (Stephens and Baldock) were always going to be subbed as they were playing for the first time in a few weeks. He didn't have to take Hemed off but Murray really needed a goal having not scored in 2017 and it was a good chance for him to get one, which he did. And it's not like we bought reserves on. One of the players who came on is our top scorer and another was our player of the season last season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think it is arrogant to think it should be game over at 3-0 at home to a team 20 places below you in the league. It should have been and we were careless to give them a chance.

Two of the players who went off (Stephens and Baldock) were always going to be subbed as they were playing for the first time in a few weeks. He didn't have to take Hemed off but Murray really needed a goal having not scored in 2017 and it was a good chance for him to get one, which he did. And it's not like we bought reserves on. One of the players who came on is our top scorer and another was our player of the season last season.

Can't help what I thought at the time and I said the same thing to the man who did it. And as I said in my post. He explained why it was done. I wasn't being critical of Chris, I was just stating my thoughts in response to another post

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Stockdale 7 - Did all he needed to do with one great save, a couple of good catches and good distribution. No chance with the goal but not enough to do to get more than 7.
Bruno 6 - Looked good going forward at times but gave the ball away carelessly at times (including twice in 30 seconds in the second half). Not back to his best after injury yet.
Dunk 7 - Solid enough but was given a couple of awkward moments by Burton frontline
Duffy 7.5 - Similar to Dunk but a bit more dominant
Pocognoli 7 - Solid defensively and got forward at times but didn't quite click with March in the first half and had chances to cross when he passed instead
Knockaert 8 - Very lively. Setup first and fourth goals and troubled Burton every time he had the ball
Sidwell 7.5 - Solid and did his job efficiently. Never looked in trouble and brilliant pass to set up March for the cross for the second goal
Stephens 7 - Worked hard to control the midfield with Sidwell and looked comfortable without being at his best. Glad to see him back
March 8 - Did little in the first half but still played a brilliant ball to Knockaert to cross for the first goal and made a great late run. Unplayable in the second half setting up the second and winning the penalty for the third. Getting towards his pre injury form
Hemed 7.5 - Well taken goal and good penalty. Didn't get many chances other than that but worked hard and linked up well with Baldock
Baldock 7.5 - We've missed him. Great running into spaces where neither Murray or Hemed go and well taken goal

Subs

Kayal 6 - Never really got out of second gear but good to see him get another half hour. Would be massive to have him back close to pre injury form
Murray 7 - Well taken goal and held the ball up well. Good to see him back on the scoresheet
Akpom 6.5 - Lively and troubled Burton but should have scored near the end

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Can't help what I thought at the time and I said the same thing to the man who did it. And as I said in my post. He explained why it was done. I wasn't being critical of Chris, I was just stating my thoughts in response to another post

I didn't say you can help what you think, just explaining why I thought differently. I expected Stephens/Baldock to go off around then and it should have been game over. I did think he might leave Hemed on but it was ideal in the end with Murray getting the goal too (even with a couple of nervy moments at 3-1)!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here