Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - The England call up

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He never really got a look in when Southgate was in charge of the under 21's.
I'm not expecting a well deserved 'come to training' gesture, anytime soon.

He received a call when Stuart Pearce was manager in November 2011 (and was an unused substitute for a double-header against Iceland and Belgium).

By the time Gareth Southgate took over in August 2013 he was too old to play in the UEFA European U-21 Championship, and wouldn't have been on the radar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
He doesn't need to be world class to defend against a postman from San Marino or a plumber from Luxembourg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
bull1.jpg

(division 2 but still . . )

Hmmm, The fact that you have to go back that far highlights the Premier League/England snobbery in existence now. So no no Premier League has been picked for an England Squad since?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm, The fact that you have to go back that far highlights the Premier League/England snobbery in existence now. So no no Premier League has been picked for an England Squad since?

...since Jay Bothroyd and David Nugent.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And Tom Heaton...at least I think he made a squad when in the Championship.

Before that it was Michael Gray and Kevin Phillips, then at (second tier) Sunderland.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I think he will play for England. Not sure whether he will get many chances but I do think he'll get at least one especially if we have a good half season. I predicted the turn of this coming year and I suspect he will be considered a similar standard as someone like Ryan Shawcross.

Time will tell I guess but he is probably the best centre half we've had since Mark Lawrenson, and HE was world class.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dunk hasn't been tested against the best players in the country yet. Simple as.

Outstanding defender at this level. Wait and see if he can make the transition.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Couldn't agree more. He's been brilliant in the last couple of years. But up against strikers who are nowhere near world class. If he played in the PL and excelled, I'd be all over it. But surely nobody can seriously expect an England call up until he's faced the likes of Diego Costa, Harry Kane and Frazier Campbell.

Frazier Campbell?...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No guarantee. Neither Ben Gibson, nor Michael Keane have had a call up yet.

Pretty sure Keane has and even won a cap or two unless I'm thinking of someone else...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There was that time he played against a PL team at Anfield and

Oh...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Euro 2016 which Heaton went to. Burnley were still technically a Championship club then so you have to go back, oh, a whole six months

But don't worry, I am sure that Southgate will be thinking ahead of England's next game fixture - away against Germany - "Do you know what, that Lewis Dunk has done well this season against Conor Washington, Freddie Sears and Marvin Sorell so he is definitely good enough to take on Muller, Ozil and Reuss"

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But don't worry, I am sure that Southgate will be thinking ahead of England's next game fixture - away against Germany - "Do you know what, that Lewis Dunk has done well this season against Conor Washington, Freddie Sears and Marvin Sorell so he is definitely good enough to take on Muller, Ozil and Reuss"

Agreed, especially with England CBs covering themselves in such glory this past year. Chrissy Smalling, Jags, Stones. We're in safe hands. Lewis doesn't stand a chance without experience against the likes of Vardy, Deeney and Abel Hernandez:whistle:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Plenty of talk, but has never played.

Gonna take a risk and without looking it up tell you you're wrong and he definately came on as a sub and made his debut. Against Spain I even think as remember he was there when they scored 2.

Edit - looked it up and I'm wrong on the playing bit - but he did make several squads. Not a clue who I'm thinking of at CB v Spain - maybe Jag!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here