Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Sami says we need strengthening up front and CoG is a start - clearly still looking for a target man to replace Ulloa.

Very happy with this signing, especially if £500k is the fee - which is less than we got for Barnes, is it not?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why do you feel the need to call people morons for having an opinion you don't agree with?
It's not a case of disagreeing with me, it's disagreeing with commonsense and the Gregorian calendar.
If your opinions happen to be proven as not being moronic I will instantly, sincerely and humbly retract any comment attaining to that.

However in my opinion, when faced with the facts:-
CoG career path.
Our lightness in experienced forwards.
The comparatively 'small' fee.
The money the club has wasted on the likes of Obika and the Spanish chap.
Losing Hoskins and Barnes.

It would seem to me OcG would be a decent replacement for any one of 4 strikers.
Anyone other than TB drawing any other conclusions, in the middle of July, would seem to be a bit of a moron.

As said come 01.09, after a couple of Stephen Ward type protracted discussions ending in failure to sign, then calling out the club would be valid and justified.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
500K for a striker who scored 15/16 goals last year in a relegated side. You'd have to be CRAZY not to be happy with that

COG can`t do any worse than McSmudger and how much did he cost, saying that it does look like we are assembling a squad for the 3rd division rather than the second.The club need to stop raising fans expectations by saying they are gunning for promotion when the signings clearly indicate otherwise:albion2:

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
COG can`t do any worse than McSmudger and how much did he cost, saying that it does look like we are assembling a squad for the 3rd division rather than the second.The club need to stop raising fans expectations by saying they are gunning for promotion when the signings clearly indicate otherwise:albion2:

Well, the chances are he won't be the 1st choice striker this season so getting a 2/3rd choice for 500k on the back of a 15 goal season is great business. Judge what the club do by the end of the transfer window and not weeks before the season starts :thumbsup:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Think that COG is the Ulloa target man replacement (a few Barnsley lads reckon he's a fantastic target man).

Now let's go and get a cracking out and out golascorer.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I doubt very much that he's come here to sit on the bench, I have a feeling he'll be starting up front with CMS, this is Ulloa's replacement.
The club is trying to become sustainable, this deal equals pounds in the bank, and lots of them.
Good business but not such good ambition.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It's not a case of disagreeing with me, it's disagreeing with commonsense and the Gregorian calendar.
If your opinions happen to be proven as not being moronic I will instantly, sincerely and humbly retract any comment attaining to that.

However in my opinion, when faced with the facts:-
CoG career path.
Our lightness in experienced forwards.
The comparatively 'small' fee.
The money the club has wasted on the likes of Obika and the Spanish chap.
Losing Hoskins and Barnes.

It would seem to me OcG would be a decent replacement for any one of 4 strikers.
Anyone other than TB drawing any other conclusions, in the middle of July, would seem to be a bit of a moron.

As said come 01.09, after a couple of Stephen Ward type protracted discussions ending in failure to sign, then calling out the club would be valid and justified.

:facepalm:
wtf are you talking about? I think you enjoy trying to be so smart and patronising you actually lose sight of what you're waffling on about, I have not at any point called the club out, I simply pointed out I'm not overwhelmed by the O'Grady signing. If we sign another striker then O'Grady is a very good replacement, but if he's the only striker we bring in it will be a touch disappointing. I'm not entirely sure why you think that warrants calling me a moron several times but hey ho.

Stumpy Tim

I will willingly pay £50 to REMF if O'Grady joins us and scores more than 10 goals this season. Does anyone want to take me up on this?
I will happily take you up on that with a few conditions:
(1) charity of the payers choice (REMF isn't my charity of choice)
(2) minimum number of games being 25 (Inc sub appearances)
(3) including league and all cups

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
wtf are you talking about? I think you enjoy trying to be so smart and patronising you actually lose sight of what you're waffling on about, I have not at any point called the club out, I simply pointed out I'm not overwhelmed by the O'Grady signing. If we sign another striker then O'Grady is a very good replacement, but if he's the only striker we bring in it will be a touch disappointing. I'm not entirely sure why you think that warrants calling me a moron several times but hey ho.

Agree. CMS, O'Grady, and Fenelon leaves us woefully short up front

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Excellent signing. We are already more powerful up front than we were this time last summer.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well, the chances are he won't be the 1st choice striker this season so getting a 2/3rd choice for 500k on the back of a 15 goal season is great business. Judge what the club do by the end of the transfer window and not weeks before the season starts :thumbsup:

It'll be brilliant business if he is number 2/3 striker, far better than we've had in recent years. I genuinely hope we do sign another striker though...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ulloa, 27 (28 this month) - 14 league goals last year in a team that finished 6th - £7m+ - Out.
O'Grady, 28 - 15 league goals in a team that were relegated. - £500k - In.

That leaves us with at least £6.5m to strengthen elsewhere. He won't even replace Ulloa. And people are complaining? Do other teams have this many idiots supporting them?

No it don't.

Ulloa cost say £2.5M, so actually £4M.
£6.5 is right. We could have kept Ulloa, and met FFP this season. In terms of FFP comparisons for this season, what we paid for him is irrelevant. If we sold him for £7m, then we have £7m (+ his wages) more to spend than we otherwise would have.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
wtf are you talking about? I think you enjoy trying to be so smart and patronising you actually lose sight of what you're waffling on about.
That's a fair point, I am very tired which does seem to unleash my inner titsy mong.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
It'll be brilliant business if he is number 2/3 striker, far better than we've had in recent years. I genuinely hope we do sign another striker though...

I think we all do, pretty sure Hyypia said something about wanting to add more attacking options after signing O'Grady and with 7 odd million for Leo and 3 week before the season starts I think we're in a very healthy position

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here