Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st car...

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
No, not what was yours, but Mrs Alfie22 has just passed her driving test (in a Corsa) so we will be looking to buy our first car. She's keen on a similar size car as the Corsa and we have to consider space for a couple of youngsters but we literally know nothing about car buying in general.

Any recommendations of good dealers & deals or things to avoid greatly appreciated. It will be on HP with budget I guess a maximum of £8k - although again, we don't really know if that is reasonable for an "as new" job.

Thanks
Alfie

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Audi A3
Skoda Fabia
Ford Focus

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Get a Yaris, so reliable, great to drive, I bloody love mine I do. Has done well over 100k without anything needing fixing and I gather that is typical.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
the best thing to get when you want something a similar size to a corsa with family room is an astra, similar design, slightly more room in the back

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry no recommendations for any dealers. Take someone with you who does know something about cars and buying them though :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Get a Yaris, so reliable, great to drive, I bloody love mine I do. Has done well over 100k without anything needing fixing and I gather that is typical.

I have recently bought an 11 year old Lexus IS200 and am stunned by the build quality and gather most Toyotas have a similar quality.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A red Austin Maestro, called Rosie. It had this written on the tailgate on both sides when we bought it. Ended up taking the old bird to the scrapheap but got a good few years service out of it first. We then bought Jim!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, served me well as my first car so that's my recommendation.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Personal view of course but I have Always found Toyotas to be the dullest cars I've ever driven.

Top of the bland list for me.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
No, not what was yours, but Mrs Alfie22 has just passed her driving test (in a Corsa) so we will be looking to buy our first car. She's keen on a similar size car as the Corsa and we have to consider space for a couple of youngsters but we literally know nothing about car buying in general.

Any recommendations of good dealers & deals or things to avoid greatly appreciated. It will be on HP with budget I guess a maximum of £8k - although again, we don't really know if that is reasonable for an "as new" job.

Thanks
Alfie

For a first car is spend no more than a couple of thousand tbh, leave it a couple of years before spending £8k on a motor, It won't matter so much if it gets a few scrapes & knocks on it and it most probably will do - most new drivers have the odd scrape.

As she learnt in a corsa maybe get an older version so size is similar with controls in places she's used to.

Whatever you do make sure to stick to routine preventative maintainence at a local garage recommended by friends & family.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
For a first car is spend no more than a couple of thousand tbh, leave it a couple of years before spending £8k on a motor, It won't matter so much if it gets a few scrapes & knocks on it and it most probably will do - most new drivers have the odd scrape.

As she learnt in a corsa maybe get an older version so size is similar with controls in places she's used to.

Whatever you do make sure to stick to routine preventative maintainence at a local garage recommended by friends & family.

The reason for spending on a newer model was apparently that lowers the insurance and less likely to develop any significant issues?

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
The reason for spending on a newer model was apparently that lowers the insurance and less likely to develop any significant issues?

It does. A lot. Frinstance, 18 year old boy R reg Fiesta =£1800. Same person 51 plate Mini Cooper £1400.......

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Get some insurance quotes and find out what you're dealing with insurance wise for some specific makes & models. If you buy a car with lower mileage (6000-8000 a year) with full service history, all the old mots etc etc, you shouldn't have a problem. Tyres & brakes will always wear out and you must religiously get it serviced regardless of its age most 8ish year old cars will serve you well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here