Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get Yourselves Into The Sea

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Fair play, I'd like to give sea swimming a try but even the water in Prince Regent is too cold for me on occassion.

One question though, who looks after your keys clothes etc whilst you are out?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
One question though, who looks after your keys clothes etc whilst you are out?

If I'm not going in with anyone then no one. The only problem I've ever had was a few weeks ago when I was quite a way out and saw a council refuse collector about to pick up my stuff. Luckily he looked out to sea at the last minute and saw my desperate thumbs-up and left my stuff. My bank cards etc. I swim with, carrying them in a waterproof pouch on my arm.

Respect. I went swimming at Birling Gap on the Sunday in September that was the Indian Summer this year. It was the first time I had swum in UK offshore waters since before decimalisation I think, very pleasant it was too after the first 30 seconds.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
When I was living in Crete for three years, I used to swim virtually every day. After the end of November through to early April the sea became chilly, though not in anyway unbearable.

My first swim back over here - in April – wasn't too bad at all. As for the sea around the Marina, there is indeed a huge variation in the murkiness of the water – though entirely due to natural phenomena: tides, silt, sand etc, as others have said.

However, I have been totally amazed on the few occasions this summer when the water cleared to the extent that, looking down from the Marina, you could see right through to the seabed, through 15 feet of water. On occasions like that, swimming underwater, and being able without goggles to see what was going on was a totally unexpected pleasure.

And that convinced me that the sea around Brighton is almost certainly far cleaner nowadays than it has ever been.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
There is nothing better than swimming in the sea when it's clean and you can actually see fish, i really hope Countries are going to make a big effort in the next few years to make the oceans cleaner

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
And that convinced me that the sea around Brighton is almost certainly far cleaner nowadays than it has ever been.

I've swallowed so much of the English Channel in the last decade I'm surprised Southern Water haven't demanded to fit a water meter to my gob, and I've never had so much as a cold from it (typhus yes, but nothing more serious than that). Our sea is fine (another half mouthful swallowed today and I'm still alive).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is nothing better than swimming in the sea when it's clean and you can actually see fish, i really hope Countries are going to make a big effort in the next few years to make the oceans cleaner

Hove Beach is MCS Recommended with excellent water quality for the 3rd year running. It is also to European Bathing Water standards. Check out the Marine Conservation Society for more info.

Don't confuse our strong currents, waves etc. that disturb the sea bed with them not being clean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here