Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You seem like a proper runner to me! Well done. Your Dublin experience mirrors almost exactly my two marathons.

The 1000 miles in a year target seems to be quite a popular one; it's never occurred to me to log miles over a year, but I guess the technology now makes it easy to do so (if not easy to actually run them!). Looking back on my 30+years running I suspect I've never clocked a thousand in any year. Perhaps that's why I've managed 30+ years!

El Pres certainly achieved many running goals in 2016 and would be well up for the NSC SPOTY if it wasn't for his filthy mind.
Just checked my Strava and as a lazy runner have found that I ran about 680 miles this year. My Highest annual total just beating last year and over double any other year. May have to have a go at this 1,000 next year.

What has brought the year to a halt is over emphasis on speed intervals and racing flat out rather than LSD (long slow distance), recovery, warm up, 2" off pace, etc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Im not a proper runner unlike you guys of whom I'm totally in awe but the great thing is that you can set personal goals.

I'm aiming for 1,000 miles and currently at 950 so fairly confident. At start of year my aims were sub 24 5k (managed 23:35), sub 50 10k (49:12) sub 1:50 half (only at 1:51:33 and struggling to find another race before year end locally) and persuade wife to let me run a marathon (she saw me at 19 at Brighton in 2015 when I was all over the place and was convinced I would not live).

Ran my second marathon in Dublin Sunday. It's a great course, some inclines but nothing too unpleasant apart from one at 22. Organisation was excellent, especially starting the runners in four waves so there were no bottlenecks. Would thoroughly recommend it.

I was aiming for 4:15, first half was 1:57 and feeling great. Was wondering if I had an outside chance of 4:05 at the time.

Think I had probably overdone the carb consumption the night before and needed a dump at 15, then got severe cramp at 19 and limped the last few to finish in 4:23, so a bit disappointed but 36 minutes faster than before.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Great race, you are definitely a proper runner!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
My goals were not too far off [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] and, despite the current frustration of injury, I can actually look back with pride on my time achievements. Wanted a sub 4 marathon, ran a 4.00.05. Wanted a 1.45 HM and ran 1.46.32 at Brighton. Wanted a sub 50 10K and ran 46.51 at Phoenix. Wanted a sub 23 5K and ran 22.07 at Hove Park parkrun. When I look back on that I'm quite proud.

Teeing up a short, slow run for tomorrow morning as well. Let's see.......

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Im not a proper runner unlike you guys of whom I'm totally in awe but the great thing is that you can set personal goals.

I'm aiming for 1,000 miles and currently at 950 so fairly confident. At start of year my aims were sub 24 5k (managed 23:35), sub 50 10k (49:12) sub 1:50 half (only at 1:51:33 and struggling to find another race before year end locally) and persuade wife to let me run a marathon (she saw me at 19 at Brighton in 2015 when I was all over the place and was convinced I would not live).

Ran my second marathon in Dublin Sunday. It's a great course, some inclines but nothing too unpleasant apart from one at 22. Organisation was excellent, especially starting the runners in four waves so there were no bottlenecks. Would thoroughly recommend it.

I was aiming for 4:15, first half was 1:57 and feeling great. Was wondering if I had an outside chance of 4:05 at the time.

Think I had probably overdone the carb consumption the night before and needed a dump at 15, then got severe cramp at 19 and limped the last few to finish in 4:23, so a bit disappointed but 36 minutes faster than before.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Not a proper runner? I've only managed a sub 25 5km once and I'm currently hovering around 26/27 minutes. So you're definitely a proper runner compared to me!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Just looked up my miles for the year, hadn't considered doing this before now.

Only 327 miles so far this year. Due to early injury I only managed 19 miles in the first 3 months of the year, however, in the last 7 months i have run 309 miles. Some way to go before even thinking about the 1,000 a year, but that could be a good target for next year, along with the training for the Brighton Marathon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's looking like my San Sebastian dream is dead, my shin issue is likely to keep me sidelined for two weeks and I don't really want to go all that way unable to run at my best. I'm signed up for Portsmouth, so maybe I should just make that my target race and try to defer San Sebastian for next year. To say I'm gutted is an understatement, I did my shin with 200 yards of Beachy Head to go. :down:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's looking like my San Sebastian dream is dead, my shin issue is likely to keep me sidelined for two weeks and I don't really want to go all that way unable to run at my best. I'm signed up for Portsmouth, so maybe I should just make that my target race and try to defer San Sebastian for next year. To say I'm gutted is an understatement, I did my shin with 200 yards of Beachy Head to go. :down:

Sorry to hear that. What is the exact problem? Bruising? shin splints? I can get rid off the shin splints.

Good plan to not run on an injury though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm opening this thread again having run twice this week.

My knee is still very problematic however but I've got to the "**** it - I'd rather run and suffer than not run at all" phase.

I appreciate that this sort of outlook probably isn't wise, but I'm going to take it easy and just see how it goes. I'll go back to see Paul at Coral's in the near future too and see what he can do for me.

Despite having walked a fair bit, often quite briskly, I still find it amazing how quickly fitness degrades. After 4.3 miles on Monday, my legs were aching yesterday and today. Not in an injured way but in a "these muscles haven't been used like that for a long time" kind of way. Nice feeling to have though.

Beautiful weather for it today - bright and sunny but crisp with it.

Come on dodgy knee - sort yourself out please.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry to hear that. What is the exact problem? Bruising? shin splints? I can get rid off the shin splints.

Good plan to not run on an injury though.

It's to do with the ligament running to the top of the ankle, inflamed currently. I've been icing it and resting it but it's not going to be right in time so I'm going to have to sit out San Sebastian and change my focus to Portsmouth in December. I am very disappointed, as you can imagine, but I've got to take it on the chin.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - Your knee isn't going to fix itself, are you doing strengthening exercises? Lunges, squats, etc?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think I'm just about out of the NSC injured gang. I went for a second almost-10k up to the Hogs Back and back (403 ft elevation gain, with 237 ft of that in mile 3 according to Strava), and matched my best pace (7:05 minute miles) for the route. The hamstring is just a dull ache now, so I'll see how Parkrun goes on Saturday - a sub-19 for that is an aim for the rest of 2016, plus a crack at sub-40 for 10k at Dunsfold later this month.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], enjoy the running and don't try to push yourself.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - Your knee isn't going to fix itself, are you doing strengthening exercises? Lunges, squats, etc?

Yep - Paul gave me an exercise for my knee. Basically ankle weights on my left leg, sitting on a table and bringing my leg up, holding for 3 and then lowering it again. Repeat * 20. A few sets of that.

Additionally, a specific stretch to do when my leg was warmed up sufficiently.

I'm not sure it's enough though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's to do with the ligament running to the top of the ankle, inflamed currently. I've been icing it and resting it but it's not going to be right in time so I'm going to have to sit out San Sebastian and change my focus to Portsmouth in December. I am very disappointed, as you can imagine, but I've got to take it on the chin.

Tough luck. Ligaments are f*******. Make sure you gently massage as it improves. I didn't a few years back and got a build up of scar tissue. Just rub thumb or finger into the ligament and upwards once any acute pain has gone. Increasing pressure if it feels ok. Hope you make Pompey even if it isn't San Sebastien.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Back in the game (sort of). Managed to crack out 2.6 miles in 28 minutes this morning. No reaction so far. So long as it doesn't flare up again the plan is to keep to that pace (around 10.30s) to burn off the fat I've accumulated and gradually add aerobic fitness, adding about a mile each Sunday and keeping the midweekers short.

https://www.strava.com/activities/764442468

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Back in the game (sort of). Managed to crack out 2.6 miles in 28 minutes this morning. No reaction so far. So long as it doesn't flare up again the plan is to keep to that pace (around 10.30s) to burn off the fat I've accumulated and gradually add aerobic fitness, adding about a mile each Sunday and keeping the midweekers short.

https://www.strava.com/activities/764442468

Well done. The first run after a lay-off can be a de-moralising experience but you sound like a man with a plan.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well done. The first run after a lay-off can be a de-moralising experience but you sound like a man with a plan.

Cheers. Luckily I came to this late, fat and out of condition. Short, slow runs are where I started. The idea of another 2 months off with the Brighton Half in Feb and full in April terrifies me. Discipline is going to have to be the watch word.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers. Luckily I came to this late, fat and out of condition. Short, slow runs are where I started. The idea of another 2 months off with the Brighton Half in Feb and full in April terrifies me. Discipline is going to have to be the watch word.

Says he who is booked in for a Cardiff drinkathon in early December.:lol::drink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Says he who is booked in for a Cardiff drinkathon in early December.:lol::drink:

:lol:

It's a fair cop guv. However, since I'm going with a good mate who's a Cardiff boyo and STH and since it's not at Ninian Park I'm not planning on doing any running that day :thumbsup: :drink:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
:lol:

It's a fair cop guv. However, since I'm going with a good mate who's a Cardiff boyo and STH and since it's not at Ninian Park I'm not planning on doing any running that day :thumbsup: :drink:

If I have to cancel my trek, I'll see you there. Few Cardiff and Merthyr mates from uni. Sat in their 1901 equivalent when we won with Gus and sat behind Hughton, our bench and Slade in the most awful boring 0-0 season before last.
I expect you'll not be doing the Cardiff Parkrun behind Sophia Gardens at 9 am Saturday morning. I managed to squeeze it in around our Ashes win two years back.
Glad you've started gentle running.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Worthing parkrun for me today: 21:42. Pretty ordinary but happy with this as I ran down to the start (3 miles or so) and - such was the quality of the field - managed to beat all the 50+ 'youngsters' (a relative term).
On Cardiff I did a 10K there many years ago (we finished in the nearly-constructed Millennium stadium) and got the impression that it is a hotbed of running......and drinking too. Also saw Sussex win the Sunday League at Sophia Gardens back in the day (happy memories).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here