Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Baseball Season - 2018

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I doubt I'll bother unless one of the kids fancies it because I'm guessing prices will be absurd. If you've never been to the baseball and feel you ought to try it out, go to a game in the US instead (if that is ever a possibility). This one will feel more touristy than a Man Utd home game.

Been to 3 games in the states (one at Citi Field in NYC and two at Target Field MN) and I don't expect the games at the London Stadium to compare to that experience of course, as those are proper ballparks. But I'd love to take in a game at London Stadium. Its practically on the doorstep in relative terms so it'd be a bit rude not to, plus I've not been there yet and I'm curious to see how they'd set all this up.

As for it being "touristy" - the atmosphere at baseball is pretty sedate anyway, you don't get the partisan tribal atmosphere of football (except perhaps at the Blue Jays, that place sounds like a bear pit at times). Nope, I'm well up for it, it should make for a top day out. Expect it'll be a 55,000 sellout, hopefully this'll be a huge success and become a regular thing like the NFL games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Been to 3 games in the states (one at Citi Field in NYC and two at Target Field MN) and I don't expect the games at the London Stadium to compare to that experience of course, as those are proper ballparks. But I'd love to take in a game at London Stadium. Its practically on the doorstep in relative terms so it'd be a bit rude not to, plus I've not been there yet and I'm curious to see how they'd set all this up.

As for it being "touristy" - the atmosphere at baseball is pretty sedate anyway, you don't get the partisan tribal atmosphere of football (except perhaps at the Blue Jays, that place sounds like a bear pit at times). Nope, I'm well up for it, it should make for a top day out. Expect it'll be a 55,000 sellout, hopefully this'll be a huge success and become a regular thing like the NFL games.

As I say, it will depend on the cost I think. I just have visions of turning up and being surrounded by people moaning that it's too slow and boring.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As I say, it will depend on the cost I think. I just have visions of turning up and being surrounded by people moaning that it's too slow and boring.

Well they're looking to sell 110,000 tickets, and unlike NFL, I don't think there's anything like as much appetite for baseball in this country, so it'd be a bit daft to make the prices ridiculous, but we'll see I guess. I paid about a hundred quid for an NFL ticket to Twickenham last year (Vikings v Browns), and as a one-off event for me I thought it was well worth it, had a great day out at a superb stadium and saw a cracking game.

I'll be going with a few mates, a couple of whom have got a good understanding of the game, but no doubt we'll be explaining to the baseball virgins what it is they're watching. I don't mind that though. Beer will be flowing. Whats not to like.

Withdean

Nov 5, 2017
As a transplanted Brit Living in Boston, permit me to share a traditional part of the legendary Red Sox v Yankees rivalry.
Yankees suck!
It’s all in good humor between fans but the fierceness that they battle with on the field is massive.

Now how about some cricket teams coming to the US?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well they're looking to sell 110,000 tickets, and unlike NFL, I don't think there's anything like as much appetite for baseball in this country

Agreed. Which, presumably, is why they've got for the choice of teams they have. Maybe they thought lesser-names risked it being a flop.

I'll certainly be in for this too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed. Which, presumably, is why they've got for the choice of teams they have. Maybe they thought lesser-names risked it being a flop.

I'll certainly be in for this too.

Yup, its probably the only two teams most people over here have heard of. Perhaps the Cubs v White Sox would've been a decent option too as far as a rivalry goes (although unlike the NYY and Boston, they don't play in the same division). This is the baseball equivalent of Man Utd v Liverpool I suppose.

I hope this is a success and they get a foothold for regular games staged over here. There is talk of eventually having a permanent London-based franchise in MLB, but I just can't see how that would be practical. There are SO many roads trips over the course of a 162 game season, the air miles to and from the States for a London team would be ridiculous. It'd also be disruptive for the USA teams having regular long-haul flights to London and back to fulfill fixtures. Can't see that happening.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I been to a few games and I can see it could be boring if you don't understand it. There is always yanks joke about cricket, your can play for 5 days and end up with a draw, but one of the game I went to had two in bounds hits throughout the whole 18 innings, neither a home run, if you get that sort of game it can be quite dull. The 7th inning stretch and "take me out to the ball game" might take a while to catch on and I still don't understand most of the stats.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If NSC is anything to go by, they'd have got the Blue Jays involved if they wanted partizan support. But as Easy 10 says, NYY v BRS is close to Man Utd v Liverpool.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Atlanta Braves still half game ahead in the NL East after spanking the "Fish" (Miami) last night. :clap2:
Wont last but hey Go Braves!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I'm a big Red Sox fan. Flew out to Boston five times to catch multiple games (six over a fortnight on one occasion) as well as travelling to Toronto and New York for away games.

Yet the thought of watching them in Stratford doesn't appeal at all. The history and atmosphere etc of Fenway Park is at least half of the appeal. Watching baseball in an athletics stadium squatted by a football team sounds hideous. But that's just me, I guess.

Incidentally, did you know that Brighton had the top baseball team and ground in the UK for many years a decade or so back? Team GB played all their home games at Waterhall too.

PS Check out this video some weirdo posted to YouTube this afternoon for the history of American sports in Brighton:

https://youtu.be/KUOMSy_6cAI

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The history and atmosphere etc of Fenway Park is at least half of the appeal. Watching baseball in an athletics stadium squatted by a football team sounds hideous. But that's just me, I guess.

Love Fenway Park - been there 3 times. Think it's the oldest original baseball stadium still standing in the USA. I can't see the appeal of watching baseball in an athletics stadium either - but I've watched soccer in a baseball stadium (NYC FC at Yankee Stadium) so why not?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was just on the MLB website catching up with news of last night's games and saw this little gem:

Somewhere in his years with the Royals, Cain worked through that exact scenario with longtime first-base coach Rusty ****z. Cain just never had a chance to put it into action.

Rusty Kvnts!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Orioles news was hard to come by so before I got truly invested in them :) I switched to the Giants. Just to update everyone as I know you like to be informed :) (also the Giants were fourth at the time in the West, if I'd known they were going to be top-half I may have never picked them :))

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Braves back to the top and a game ahead in the NL East after last nights tonking of the Mets. Admittedly the Mets are in bad shape at the moment with 11 first team regulars all out injured.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I seem to remember when we did a poll on here that there were zero Reds fans on NSC. I may be mistaken or one or two Glory hunters may have since appeared.

Question is what is going on in Cincinnati?
Won 7 straight from a 25 - 45 record including a four game sweep of the C**s.
And their first unbeaten homestand of more that 6 games for TEN YEARS!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here