Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lidl. Good publicity or epic fail

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Granted Blue Nun was yuk. But there are different types of Prosseco which is a generic name for sparkling wine made from the prosecco or glera grape, which is native to the Veneto region of Italy. There a some good Prosecco's and not so good Prosseco's like there are some good Champagne's and not so good Champagne's. So to label all procsecco's a poor product shows a distinct lack of knowledge regarding the wine!

Bullseye.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Makes for excellent Sangria. Perfect on a day like today.

Quite. BG, not for the first time, doesn't know what he's on about.

That said - as a wine-seller told us on the Roar a few years ago, any £3.33 bottle of Prosecco is going to be - in quality and cost - a £3.33 bottle of Prosecco. There are some excellent ones further up the price scale, mind.

But it is not the better ones that are commonly offered or spoken about by the 20 yr old girls who must have. The only female members of our family that likes it is my young granddaughters and neices all between 20 -30 years old all the remainder like Sauvigion or the really older ones like my wife and her sister Rose.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just like chilling Coke makes it drinkable, adding fizz turns a very average wine into something more appealing.

Having said that, a good Prosecco is excellent and is miles apart from Blue Nun or Liebfraumilch.

There's no way these people will be buying it to lay down for Christmas, chances are it will have been drunk by the end of the month.

As an aside, each year around October or November Lidl get in a telescope with very good optics, which they sell for a fraction of the price, brought over from Germany.
We bought one a couple of years back, and there were no queues at all on the release date.

End of the month? It's normally gone by the end of the day in our house

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_0079.JPG

Nom nom nom

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
One of the joys of Lanzarote is Lidl where a bottle of excellent Cava retails at less than 2 euros. The more you drink, the more you save! :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of the joys of Lanzarote is Lidl where a bottle of excellent Cava retails at less than 2 euros. The more you drink, the more you save! :thumbsup:

I must admit to having never tried Cava but may do so in Spain next week as their is a LIDL and ALDI near where we are staying. Do they sell it in Brut , Demi Sec or Sec as per Asti etc.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I must admit to having never tried Cava but may do so in Spain next week as their is a LIDL and ALDI near where we are staying. Do they sell it in Brut , Demi Sec or Sec as per Asti etc.

Not quite sure, as I always went straight for the Brut. Tho if I were a betting man, which I am whenever possible, I reckon they probably do all three. If you're not sure whether you might like Cava or not, most supermarkets stock little packs of three mini-bottles, each of which is about a big glassful. Give it a spin!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not quite sure, as I always went straight for the Brut. Tho if I were a betting man, which I am whenever possible, I reckon they probably do all three. If you're not sure whether you might like Cava or not, most supermarkets stock little packs of three mini-bottles, each of which is about a big glassful. Give it a spin!

I will buy a bottle in Spain and if none of us like it mix it with Orange Juice. In Teneriffe my middle son won a bottle 1 night and then again the next and asked if he could swap it for a pint of lager on the 2nd night. He thought that it was awful.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Makes for excellent Sangria. Perfect on a day like today.

Quite. BG, not for the first time, doesn't know what he's on about.

That said - as a wine-seller told us on the Roar a few years ago, any £3.33 bottle of Prosecco is going to be - in quality and cost - a £3.33 bottle of Prosecco. There are some excellent ones further up the price scale, mind.
I tend to use a dry Cava for a white sangria......but also very happy to drink a decent Cava as it is. Some of them are delicious.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But it is not the better ones that are commonly offered or spoken about by the 20 yr old girls who must have.

Why is it so important to put the opinions of '20 year old girls' (whoever they are) here? Sparkling wines are not the sole preserve of '20 year old girls'.

The only female members of our family that likes it is my young granddaughters and neices all between 20 -30 years old all the remainder like Sauvigion or the really older ones like my wife and her sister Rose.

Oh right. Thanks for that. And the point of that post is...?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
An All Inclusive in Teneriffe is not likely to sell the best quality or give it away as a prize so my sons views may be tainted. What kind of price would you expect to pay for a reasonable Cava in Spain so as to be able to form an opinion? Unless anybody knows a brand name that they can recommend

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good publicity or epic fail?

Well I guess Lidl have found a way to shift a load of close-to-sell-by-date Prosecco, which wouldn't be bad business.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Still easy to find in Lidl up here,as people have taste in Birmingham (or it might be something to do with the religious sensibilities).Might have some at Christmas,mixed with Mandarin Napoleon brandy to disguise the taste.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
An All Inclusive in Teneriffe is not likely to sell the best quality or give it away as a prize so my sons views may be tainted. What kind of price would you expect to pay for a reasonable Cava in Spain so as to be able to form an opinion? Unless anybody knows a brand name that they can recommend

The All Inclusive will no doubt have been giving away 2 Euro or less bottles.....all the Spanish supermarkets have this cheap stuff in. This is a decent article (albeit written for Americans) with some of the better brands mentioned. No 1 is very readily available here.

https://www.thespruce.com/cava-sparkling-wine-top-brands-3511137

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
About €6 or €7 ...Freixenet and Codorniu are the big brands and probably the safest.

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
In the 60s the rubbish wine was called Blue Nun now it is called Prossecco so good advertising has made it such that people 'need' to be seen drinking it. It just shows what good marketing does for poor products.

Now, if you'd said "Pomagne" - a sparkling cider/champagne of yesteryear, I might of thought: That BG fella knows a thing or two.

But to compare a Liebfraumilch with a Spumante is plain ignorant.

The reason Prosecco is popular [with many of the under-seventies i.e. not you] is that it is an affordable Champagne replacement. Particularly low in calories [for an alcoholic drink] many young female drinkers have taken to it as the tipple of choice when out on the town. Also goes down nice with Sunday lunch too.

My guess is that you either drink real Champagne [because you're a rich tw^t] or you don't like Champagne [coz you despise rich tw^ts] - I guess the latter .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here