Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Internment

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That is not my job now is it, we have a very good secrete service and I'm sure they will know who to target. but anyone who has left the country and fought for isis would be the first to be identified. then hate preachers and supporters of hate speech.

But I think it's your job to write to that very good secrete service and suggest that they identify anyone who has fought for ISIS. They won't have thought of that :facepalm:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
But I think it's your job to write to that very good secrete service and suggest that they identify anyone who has fought for ISIS. They won't have thought of that :facepalm:

Why the facepalm? What I wrote makes perfect sense to the context of the post I was replying to. but if it makes you feel good about yourself to use adolescent emoji's you crack on.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Why the facepalm? What I wrote makes perfect sense to the context of the post I was replying to. but if it makes you feel good about yourself to use adolescent emoji's you crack on.

I think the point is that the people that slip through the net are often people with little known terrorist background (the Westminster car/stab terrorist I believe had a background of petty crime but not terrorism). Internment would do little to combat this threat

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Internment would do little to combat this threat

It would make people feel better, and put the general election out of reach. And isn't that the most important thing?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
It would make people feel better, and put the general election out of reach. And isn't that the most important thing?

Put the general election out of reach of what? Sorry if I'm being dense but not sure what you mean.

As for making people feel better, yes it may make some people happier but I fear it wouldn't make us any safer

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Put the general election out of reach of what? Sorry if I'm being dense but not sure what you mean.

You don't think the former Home Secretary's hearing footsteps?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

As for making people feel better, yes it may make some people happier but I fear it wouldn't make us any safer

A tough security response would supposedly give The Tories a boost in the polls finishing off the Labour revival. Internment isn't going to happen a step too far at the moment but if we get a constant stream of attacks .. who knows.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Putting people on an uninhabited island would work until one of their number got a boat and got them all off again.

You are more likely to get struck by lightning than die in a terrorist attack. Many attacks have been detected before they've happened and usually because of cooperation with the neighbours/family/colleagues. Don't risk disenfranchising a section of society because you feel it would make you feel safer.

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If you think the PM initiating internment would win her the election I would hope you are mistaken.

I hope so, too. But it would.
Is attachment to fundamental civil liberties so strong in the UK that such a move would actually hurt?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Putting people on an uninhabited island would work until one of their number got a boat and got them all off again.

You are more likely to get struck by lightning than die in a terrorist attack. Many attacks have been detected before they've happened and usually because of cooperation with the neighbours/family/colleagues. Don't risk disenfranchising a section of society because you feel it would make you feel safer.

Agree. Rather than internment, just give the security services and the police all the resources they need to investigate and monitor all 23,000 on the 'watched' list. At the moment, they are just scratching the surface.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Internment would be an absolute boon for these d*ickheads. Our history with the IRA shows that it only makes it easier for people to be recruited into this madness.

The barrier for entry for terrorism right now is just a car and a knife and you want to take action that will radicalise more people?

unwise.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's time to bring back internment I believe. Build a large prison on an uninhabited Scottish island, dump all the terrorists or suspected terrorists there and throw away the key. The fact that we have thousands of these bar stewards walking the same streets as us and breathing the same air is truly appalling. If they don't like our values and culture they should bugger off or be forced out. We have been too soft for too long. Rant over.

I have just passed your details to the authorities as I suspect you are a terrorist. You can therefore expect your front door to be knocked down at 3am and to be transported to your Scottish island without trial or any information to be given to your friends or family.
You maybe out to see the start of the 2045/6 season.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The best way to deal with terrorist is as the police did last night.....They can`t do it again and will not cost taxpayer anything in court or prison costs.

Not sure that the seven people who were killed or their families will think that the best way to deal with terrorists is to let them commit an atrocity first. There has to be more done to prevent this from happening again and again. There has to be a point where if you are identified as being radicalised that's it, you simply don't get the chance to carry out an act of terror. If that means being locked in a dark pit and forgotten about, that's fine by me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The people that do these evil, murderous deeds - and those cowards who encourage and support them - are not fit to be classified as human beings. I couldn't give a monkey's fart for their human rights - as far as I'm concerned they don't qualify for any. So I wouldn't mind a bit if we shoved them all into some Colditz style prison camp in the middle of nowhere surrounded by razor wire and armed guards.

Only trouble is, I don't think it would solve the problem.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The people that do these evil, murderous deeds - and those cowards who encourage and support them - are not fit to be classified as human beings. I couldn't give a monkey's fart for their human rights - as far as I'm concerned they don't qualify for any. So I wouldn't mind a bit if we shoved them all into some Colditz style prison camp in the middle of nowhere surrounded by razor wire and armed guards.

Only trouble is, I don't think it would solve the problem.
It would make you feel better. So does it really matter whether it works?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Would Tristan da Cunha be a suitable venue ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It would make you feel better. So does it really matter whether it works?

Quite. It reminds me of a friend of mine who was working in the US while 9/11 was happening. His co-worker said "That's enough, we've got to bomb the *******s." My mate asked whom we should be bombing only for his colleague to reply "Somebody. Just bomb somebody."

That's what internment is. It adds nothing to security; does nothing to decrease terrorism - indeed, it makes terrorist attacks much more likely. But it's not about reducing acts of violence, it's to slake some rather primeval urges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here