Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016: England and Wales fans given alcohol ban in Lens

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's funny I have lived in Wales for the last 14 years and never had any hate directed at me.

youre lucky then , or the sort of sap who gives a nervous laugh when told how much they want us to lose etc etc, ask @glasfryn what he thinks after his time in wales.

live in Carmarthenshire for nearly 9 years
Carmarthenshire the heart of welsh speaking Wales
they certainly do not like the English everything was held up as a comparison (the English do this the English do that) any sport they always support the opposition that England play (they always forget that their national sport is named after an English town)
they are homophobic,racist, and most I met were down right nasty not only to the English but anyone who was not welsh and some of the pile was pointed towards the North Wales clan.
I am only just beginning to get over them but my other half has still got the racism ringing in her ears
the sooner they leave the UK the better
totally made up language, tin pot little country made up of nasty jeolous people
I once thought that because my grandfather was an Evans and I had welsh heritage, I have since gone back over a thousand years and not one welshman amoungst them.......................................thank God
Evans a name originally from the Forest of Dean

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
live in Carmarthenshire for nearly 9 years
Carmarthenshire the heart of welsh speaking Wales
they certainly do not like the English everything was held up as a comparison (the English do this the English do that) any sport they always support the opposition that England play (they always forget that their national sport is named after an English town)
they are homophobic,racist, and most I met were down right nasty not only to the English but anyone who was not welsh and some of the pile was pointed towards the North Wales clan.
I am only just beginning to get over them but my other half has still got the racism ringing in her ears
the sooner they leave the UK the better
totally made up language, tin pot little country made up of nasty jeolous people
I once thought that because my grandfather was an Evans and I had welsh heritage, I have since gone back over a thousand years and not one welshman amoungst them.......................................thank God
Evans a name originally from the Forest of Dean

Must be a South Wales thing then. As I said I have never had any problems. My daughter's Welsh boyfriend came with me to England v Turkey last weekend and supported England.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Went in 1998 for World Cup and they shut all bars in Lille for the England game ! Went to Lens and the atmosphere was non existent, sad really as it showed how much we English need a drink to get themselves going. Not sure if Lille had a drink ban on day of match.

Not entirely correct chum,i think your beer level was at full volume ometer.They closed all the bars around the station after the pub Tavern Flamande opposite the old entrance went boobs up,it was 80% albion in there and the minority others ruined it for everyone else(cough).You could wander only a few yards into the back streets and still get a beer.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Must be a South Wales thing then. As I said I have never had any problems. My daughter's Welsh boyfriend came with me to England v Turkey last weekend and supported England.
West Wales I suspect, the people where I live (Abergavenny/Crickhowell area) are great.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I was in Toulouse (I think) for a non England game and the atmosphere was lovely. The next game in a few days was England and as we were leaving the authorities started to dismantle the big screen in the city centre and literally board up the city. Real shame as we'd had such fun.

It was all fun before the English turned up?

FFS Do you ever resist an opportunity to falsley put the English down? What exactly is your beef with us?
your recollection (of leaving before the event and not being there) was not my recollection at all,Toulouse was one of the best places on the tour,the bars restaurants and locals were very welcoming,the place was fully open with superb fan bars by the river.
In fact i cant remember any venue boarding up their city centres before the English arrived,not one(were you not actually in any of these places also).....what planet were you actually on?

Why make stuff up? Does it satisfy your personal agenda?
Are you one of these nutters that thinks if you wave a st georges flag you are a Little Englander?

Continue to hate us all you want if that makes you happy,but dont make shit up because you have a stupid chip on your shoulder about the English

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Got an email this morning from SNCF reservations saying consumption of alcohol would not be allowed on my train from Paris to Lens, and carrying alcohol would be subject to the guards' discretion - ie English football supporters = no beer.
Presumably no restrictions apply at the stadium when you can buy as much corporate piss water as you like

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Got an email this morning from SNCF reservations saying consumption of alcohol would not be allowed on my train from Paris to Lens, and carrying alcohol would be subject to the guards' discretion - ie English football supporters = no beer.
Presumably no restrictions apply at the stadium when you can buy as much corporate piss water as you like

No alcohol is available at the stadiums either.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

Would'nt happen with DOO

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Continue to hate us all you want if that makes you happy,but dont make shit up because you have a stupid chip on your shoulder about the English

Anyone who follows football and doesn't have a chip on their shoulder about the English knows that there are loads of countries with very active hooligan elements. The Poles, Russkis, Croatians, Turks, Albanians and yes, the Germans...they'll all be just as much a handful as the English.

Fair play to all those people who do go abroad to see England play but I'll never do it again. The last time I went was Rome in '97 and I was genuinely scared for my life. All the aggro was started by the Italians, the police stood back and let it happen and when England fans fought back, the rozzers waded into us with a vengeance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The welsh should LOVE the english. After all, we let them have Ryan Giggs back.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I bet the local bars are fuming!

it would have been like winning the lottery for them

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was all fun before the English turned up?

FFS Do you ever resist an opportunity to falsley put the English down? What exactly is your beef with us?
your recollection (of leaving before the event and not being there) was not my recollection at all,Toulouse was one of the best places on the tour,the bars restaurants and locals were very welcoming,the place was fully open with superb fan bars by the river.
In fact i cant remember any venue boarding up their city centres before the English arrived,not one(were you not actually in any of these places also).....what planet were you actually on?

Why make stuff up? Does it satisfy your personal agenda?
Are you one of these nutters that thinks if you wave a st georges flag you are a Little Englander?

Pastafarian. Please **** off with this constant shit stirring of yours. Please read this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/117294.stm It states all football entertainment in Toulouse was shut down and actually mentions the big screen I was talking about and bars being ordered to close at midnight. So does this link http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//RTV/1998/06/17/806170002/?v=1. I definitely remember the square where I was staying was boarded up as well. The link mentions a guy consulting on how to protect his pub. The last link also states the extra riot police drafted in. Now, taking all this on board do you think my comment that the atmosphere was a little different went England arrived is a fair reflection of reality? Were you actually there before for the previous game? I was and right up to the day before and the actual England game so I can compare and contrast and my version seems to be reflected in everything I can find on the net. [MENTION=1408]hopkins[/MENTION] has a different version of events to you as well.

No doubt you'll be denying this tournaments restrictions in a few years as well.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the welsh as a nation hate us far more than the jocks ever will.

I went to watch an England game in a bar in Glasgow once. Scotland had player earlier and the town was full of drunk scots. The minute the game was on the big screen spit started flying In the direction of the England players, plastic glasses were thrown, constant booing and jeering and when the stand up if you hate England started I stood up....and sneaked out. Horrific

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Pastafarian. Please **** off with this constant shit stirring of yours. Please read this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/117294.stm It states all football entertainment in Toulouse was shut down and actually mentions the big screen I was talking about and bars being ordered to close at midnight. So does this link http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//RTV/1998/06/17/806170002/?v=1. I definitely remember the square where I was staying was boarded up as well. The last link also states the extra riot police drafted in. Now, taking all this on board do you think my comment that the atmosphere was a little different went England arrived is a fair reflection of reality? Were you actually there before for the previous game? I was and right up to the day before and the actual England game so I can compare and contrast and my version seems to be reflected in everything I can find on the net. [MENTION=1408]hopkins[/MENTION] has a different version of events to you as well.

No doubt you'll be denying this tournaments restrictions in a few years as well.

well going back to what you originally wrote,i dont recall you saying you were referring to bars shutting at midnight,i dont remember all football entertainment being shut down,there were marquee fan zones by the river which were open,i can remember drinking some very pricey booze. I dont remember the place being boarded up,it was fully open everywhere and great fun. Since you left before England turned up maybe you just confused people putting shutters up at night time like they normally do and were not around when they opened up the next day.We left Toulouse reluctantly about 2 in the morning on a train,very well sozzled,never having a problem finding a boozer open.

So yes i didnt come across a nasty atmosphere at all or a closed town,perhaps the links you supplied were talking a little bit of bollocks as usually unfounded and untrue press reports seem to follow england supporters like a bad smell at tournaments.

I was in Toulouse (I think) for a non England game and the atmosphere was lovely. The next game in a few days was England and as we were leaving the authorities started to dismantle the big screen in the city centre and literally board up the city. Real shame as we'd had such fun.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

bullshit!

nothing happened in Toulouse before or after the Romania game

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
That's funny I have lived in Wales for the last 14 years and never had any hate directed at me.

put it to the test

a 6x4 St George flag hanging in your front window should do the trick

if you still have it up at the end of he tournament,I will be suitably impressed :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
bullshit!

nothing happened in Toulouse before or after the Romania game

Nothing? In what sense? I never said there was any trouble if this is what you're alluding to. There wasn't, apart from the reporter who was attached and hospitalised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here