Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hemiplegic migraines

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My dad suffers migraines occasionally, as has been mentioned he has take a couple of tablets as soon as he feels one coming on and it usually does the trick but knocks him out for a few hours. He gets the ones where half of his vision disappears completely. Weirdly he didn't start getting them until he was in his 60s, heading towards the end of his career feeling about as stress free as he had for years.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I've suffed from migraine my whole life but around when i turned 16/17 I had my first hemiplegic migraine. I was sent home from work and found my self doubting "Madaline McCann" was the correct way to pronounce her name. It was ****ing petrifying. I now get numbness and pins and needles on the left side of my face around my jaw, nose and down my left arm before the pain sets in but after my visual aura.

I have a sumatriptan to take on the onset of an aura and it mitigates some of the pain but not the build up symptoms. I combine this with paracetomol and neurofen migraine relief if i don't have ibeprofen. I spoke to a doctor who advised that asprin would be a good one to try as it gets digested higher in the intestine.

I'm going to ask for a preventative like Pazitofen to see if i can cut out the auras.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I get aura migraines a couple of times a year. Common misconception is that a migraine is a headache, but there are many different types

yes get those too. Basically a small dot of 'interference' starts expanding until it becomes a full crescent across half of one eye and then disappears in a flash. No pain but feel a bit dull headed for a few hours afterwards. Re hole in the heart theory I had a PFO closure. Basically this is a flap on the heart which when closed prevents blood flow from one side of the heart to the other without going through the lungs. Normally when you are born this fuses together but in approx 25% of people it doesn't. Normally this wouldn't matter but if you ever get a clot it gives it a direct path to the brain rather than getting dissipated in the lungs. So many people have this, probably get migraines as a result since it is believed 'dirty blood' can get to the brain, and have a slightly increased stroke risk. They will only get closed if you are a regular diver and get bends symptoms or you have a stroke and they anticipate it was a clot passing across the PFO as the cause. The operation and after effects are nasty so not something to have done unless you really need it! Unfortunately it didn't stop the migraines for me.....

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm 68 and had real migraine on and off since I was 12. The hole in the heart thing is interesting, but I thought it had been disproved. Basically there has not been any steps forward in treatment since I was a Child, I've tried them all.
Strangely when the headache arrives, usually after all the other debilitating stuff, I have learned to live with it as the headache is a sign that to me, things are improving. Don't let anyone tell you Migraine is just a headache.

I can mitigate my headaches with painkillers and my perscribed medicine and fluids/rest. The aura is very frustrating. Knowing that it could be 20 minutes for the entire cycle or an hour sucks major ass. It's put me off driving, applyign to drive trains and holds me back in a few other areas.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Used to suffer badly with migraines, often bedridden for 48 hrs at a time. After many yrs of eliminating things I came to the conclusion they were caused by tartrazine, an orange colourant. Been free of them for 15 yrs, having said that I am prone to headaches but just your bulk standard ones .

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Used to suffer badly with migraines, often bedridden for 48 hrs at a time. After many yrs of eliminating things I came to the conclusion they were caused by tartrazine, an orange colourant. Been free of them for 15 yrs, having said that I am prone to headaches but just your bulk standard ones .

Did you rely on dodgy rumours to cut it out?...according to wikepedia 'Rumours began circulating about tartrazine in the 1990s regarding a link to its consumption (specifically its use in Mountain Dew) and adverse effects on male potency, testicle and penis size, and sperm count. There are no documented cases supporting the claim tartrazine will shrink a man's penis or cause it to stop growing.' :blush: Glad cutting it out had other benefits for you though!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Did you rely on dodgy rumours to cut it out?...according to wikepedia 'Rumours began circulating about tartrazine in the 1990s regarding a link to its consumption (specifically its use in Mountain Dew) and adverse effects on male potency, testicle and penis size, and sperm count. There are no documented cases supporting the claim tartrazine will shrink a man's penis or cause it to stop growing.' :blush: Glad cutting it out had other benefits for you though!

Bloody hell, didn't know about that. Never drank Mountain dew mind.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I can mitigate my headaches with painkillers and my perscribed medicine and fluids/rest. The aura is very frustrating. Knowing that it could be 20 minutes for the entire cycle or an hour sucks major ass. It's put me off driving, applyign to drive trains and holds me back in a few other areas.

I've never stopped doing anything because of it. The more adrenalin and close to the edge the better, never got one when I would have been up the proverbial without a paddle. Ounce a fortnight, Monday mornings at School, stopped for a bit when I started work, mind you it was the Knoll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here