Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Well if the mail reports are true (the mail is packed full of twisted lies but their sports reporting is pretty good), then Oscar has NOT been involved in the transfer dealings. So the blame for the farcical Grabban/Conway screw up and the selling Barnes with useless loan replacements, comes down to Burke, and Barber indirectly as his FFP ramblings have held our purse strings tighter.
I don't blame him if he goes. But if he does, after losing Gus and then Oscar, what is that saying about BHAFC?
Not good if he goes, then again it's worse than that because we won't be attracting a decent manager as it will soon get around that Brighton are tight with their money and a manager can't control transfers.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
He did try to smile in the mid '90s
n_f_c_barcelona_historicos-868003.jpg

Blimey, I hadn't realised that Gordon Brown's media training had started when he was so young.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Well if the mail reports are true (the mail is packed full of twisted lies but their sports reporting is pretty good), then Oscar has NOT been involved in the transfer dealings. So the blame for the farcical Grabban/Conway screw up and the selling Barnes with useless loan replacements, comes down to Burke, and Barber indirectly as his FFP ramblings have held our purse strings tighter.
I don't blame him if he goes. But if he does, after losing Gus and then Oscar, what is that saying about BHAFC?
Not good if he goes, then again it's worse than that because we won't be attracting a decent manager as it will soon get around that Brighton are tight with their money and a manager can't control transfers.

Oscar is not as heavily involved in transfers out of choice as he is fulfilling a very different role (head coach). This is very different to the situation we were in with Gus who was the manager and made it his business to get heavily involved in targets and speaking directly with players. Also worth noting Gus had a lot of experience in the English game so is well versed in potential targets.

If this Swansea story is true (and this is the daily mail) what this says about BHAFC is that whilst we are able to attract top managers we are still a less attractive option when the big money of the premier league comes calling.

It is also slightly bemusing that as fans we frequently trot out the need to be patient and loyal to our manager yet the first whiff of premier league football and they jump ship. These same fans are then happily clapping these managers off into the sunset

Would be nice if some of these up and coming managers showed the same patience and took us to the premier league with them

It will be interesting to see if this story has legs but could be another summer of fun ahead

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
He did say at the end that "if we had a different squad we would be in the play off positions, but we have what we have and have to fight with other big teams."

Yes I just watched it, he did say that didnt he. Says it all really.
Unless, it is possible that what he means is 'with our full squad' not 'different squad'.
But who knows, certainly it means Garcia is not happy with our squad this season.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Oscar is not as heavily involved in transfers out of choice as he is fulfilling a very different role (head coach). This is very different to the situation we were in with Gus who was the manager and made it his business to get heavily involved in targets and speaking directly with players. Also worth noting Gus had a lot of experience in the English game so is well versed in potential targets.

If this Swansea story is true (and this is the daily mail) what this says about BHAFC is that whilst we are able to attract top managers we are still a less attractive option when the big money of the premier league comes calling.

It is also slightly bemusing that as fans we frequently trot out the need to be patient and loyal to our manager yet the first whiff of premier league football and they jump ship. These same fans are then happily clapping these managers off into the sunset

Would be nice if some of these up and coming managers showed the same patience and took us to the premier league with them

It will be interesting to see if this story has legs but could be another summer of fun ahead

Yes I agree with most if that. However, we have been led to believe that Oscar has a hand in transfers. Burke on Seagulls player and Barber in many interviews has stated that Oscar asks for a type of player and then Burke tries to find a list of those and then Oscar gets the say on who is signed.
As I said, 'IF' the mail reports are true then this is simply not the case.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
He did say at the end that "if we had a different squad we would be in the play off positions, but we have what we have and have to fight with other big teams."

Unless, it is possible that what he means is 'with our full squad' not 'different squad'.
But who knows, certainly it means Garcia is not happy with our squad this season.

I had to listen to the word three times to be sure, but I think he said "deeper" rather than "different", which I took to mean he was referring primarily to our injury woes :shrug:

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I wonder if Tim Sherwood might be linked to our managerial job again if Oscar goes.

That would be good. I think most people would agree: the main reason we're not doing better this season is that Oscar doesn't wave his arms around, kick things, and scream and shout on the touchline. Sherwood coming in would sort that out at a stroke. Guaranteed top two!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
This is not a surprise really. I would see Swansea as a really good fit for him. It also shows that, unlike some of the fan 'experts' on here, many in the Premier League would think Garcia has done a pretty solid job in his first season of English football, with relatively meagre resources, in a club still reeling from the Poyet nonsense and bedevilled by injury. Last night's performance at Leicester will only have strengthened that impression in the eyes of any other club scouting for a new manager. I feel that if he goes to a club like Swansea where his style will really fit in, he has a much better chance of making a good splash in the Premier League than, say, someone like Poyet who was just desperate to go to any club. It's a shame for us, because it's clear that if he stays, we're likely to just get better and better, but it's difficult to do anything other than wish him good luck if that does happen.

Is anybody still 'reeling' from the Poyet nonsense?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Goldstone1976, has prompted me to change my mind on what he said. Did sound like he said "different" when I first listened to it, but more than likely he said "deeper"

I feel a bit better now :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Said on Nation Radio sports news here in South Wales at 07.30 this morning that OSCAR is favourite for the Swansea City job as he is leaving B&HA at the end of the season. Not a rumour from a source, twas on the radio so it must be correct.

Is this story directly attributable to Swansea City, or is it re-cycling the unattributed Daily Mail story?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Is anybody still 'reeling' from the Poyet nonsense?

Possibly not now, but in assessing Oscar's performance over the season (rather than on the basis of a knee-jerk response to the latest couple of games' performance) it certainly makes sense to take account of that as a factor (albeit just one of several) that he's had to deal with over the time he's been here.

Is this story directly attributable to Swansea City, or is it re-cycling the unattributed Daily Mail story?

If its the latter (which ive no doubt it is) then naive of them to do so, as in my experience news editors in radio won't broadcast any story in news bulletins that hasn't been confirmed as fact rather than speculation from one source.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I had to listen to the word three times to be sure, but I think he said "deeper" rather than "different", which I took to mean he was referring primarily to our injury woes :shrug:

Yes your right, he does say 'deeper squad'.
So really that's not much better. Is he referring to our injury list or our selling players or both?
Either way Oscar is saying our squad is not deep enough.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Burke did say on your show that Oscar has the final say on transfers did he not?
Yet if the story out of the mail and Swansea are true, coupled with Oscar saying we needed a deeper squad, it says the opposite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here