Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wally Gould RIP

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Wally was my favourite player when I started watching the Albion and remains up there alongside Wardy and Nobby.
Great player and always seemed to have a sense of fun about him.
I met him several years later when he was temporarily running pubs.. Had a great chat about the old days.
Lovely fellow.
RIP Wally.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Waly

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember after watching us play Swansea in a cup tie at the Vetch Field stopping for fish and chips and buying their local football paper, like the old pink, and in the report it said about Brighton big burly forward Wally Gould made both wife and I laugh obviously they mixed him up with somebody else.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Good player - he was in the Albion line-up for my first game.

Remember John Boyle kicking him in the FA Cup tie and getting sent off

Same here.
My Father was always amused by Wally's habit of spitting, sometimes when he was in full flight. He used to joke about not standing ' down-wind ' of Wally or too close to the touchline. Early memories of a good player.
R.I.P.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Before my time watching the Albion alas, but by all accounts an excellent player, and exciting to watch. A wonderfully old fashioned name, 'Wally' Gould, noone is Christened Walter these days!

RIP.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Lovely guy. Spent happy hours after training playing cricket in Hove park with us youngsters. RIP Wally - a lot of us will have fond memories of you.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Good player - he was in the Albion line-up for my first game.

Remember John Boyle kicking him in the FA Cup tie and getting sent off

I was there that day with my Dad. Watched it on MOTD later, complete with commentator criticising the poor floodlights, which meant he had difficulty seeing the incident clearly.

His son still follows the Brighton results,as I said in an earlier post I rent out my house in Spain,when he noticed my Palace sign up in the Garden we got talking football,he said he loved his time at Brighton and also had a great career afterwards in South Africa.I must check to see if he has trashed my Palace sign!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Rest in peace Wally... he and Tiger Tawse on the other wing were brilliant to watch when we attacked. Sad day

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I remember watching him in my first season at the Goldstone.
Bandy legged but really good, old fashioned winger. And what a season he had in 1964/1965!
RIP Wally:(

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As a young boy I was amazed when Wally got on the same bus as me going to the Goldstone with his kit (I always went about 3 hours early).

That's a great memory. It was quite common 50 years ago, I wonder when was the last time a player got to the game by public transport (although we all know when the last time was that they left ...)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's a great memory. It was quite common 50 years ago, I wonder when was the last time a player got to the game by public transport (although we all know when the last time was that they left ...)

I don't think a modern day professional would even know what a bus was!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
As a young boy I was amazed when Wally got on the same bus as me going to the Goldstone with his kit (I always went about 3 hours early).

Cannot remember which year but I once sat on the bus with Des Tennant, Frankie Howard, and Glen Wilson on a Saturday Morning.

It was not just footballers. The musical director of the Hippodrome lived in Neville Avenue and he used to go home 6 nights a week on the 5b still in his tuxedo, bow tie and case in which were the musical scores and his conductors baton.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here