Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is that your season over now?

:wink:

But I'm not saying what the goal is on here in case I end up backing out.

One things for sure, I'm particularly looking forward to Gent Wevelgem and E3 Harelbeke Sportives as a pleasant distraction, especially when they're both less than 20 euros each to enter :). Oh, and on closed roads AND with the chance to ride with Johan Museeuw himself! :clap:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Dont know if any Geeks go to Decathlon for their riding gear, but they've brought out some really nice clothing for the summer over the last few days online.
I've been singing Decathlons praises for a decade or so now...and I still dont think you can get much better for the prices they charge.

Worth checking out.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Dont know if any Geeks go to Decathlon for their riding gear, but they've brought out some really nice clothing for the summer over the last few days online.
I've been singing Decathlons praises for a decade or so now...and I still dont think you can get much better for the prices they charge.

Worth checking out.

I have a Decathlon 'B'Twin' bike, and just upgraded my wheelset (to superior wheels from the b'twin range, which are excellent). However I've never been a massive fan of their clothes. I have some of their top-of-the-range 'aerofit' bibshorts, which are excellent on the bike - I'm just not keen on the looks. That said, I would buy another pair in a flash if they bought them out in plain black (instead, I fancy some rapha 'core' bibshorts). I'll have to pop in to check out their new range of kit, as everything I've had from Decathlon has been good.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Here's the Strava pre ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1419318194/segments/35271813259

I'll be amazed if some of the roads used will be closed.
It's really odd to see what will be such a big event carried out on a route on which I have genuinely ridden every single inch.

I've not done a sportive since 2013, but I do rather fancy this. It's appealing in that it is close enough to be convenient, but far enough away so I won't recognise the route. A number of Surrey Dwellers are like minded on this. So, many thank yous for the link.

I'm scratching my head about whether I am prepared to pay 75 pence per mile in order to share the route with about 14,999 others. I wonder what the cost base is for staging an event like this and whether the organisers are looking to take the cyclists for a ride financially. Income would be circa £75 x 14,000 = £1m. I expect there to be some admin, some costs of marshals and route marking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've not done a sportive since 2013, but I do rather fancy this. It's appealing in that it is close enough to be convenient, but far enough away so I won't recognise the route. A number of Surrey Dwellers are like minded on this. So, many thank yous for the link.

I'm scratching my head about whether I am prepared to pay 75 pence per mile in order to share the route with about 14,999 others. I wonder what the cost base is for staging an event like this and whether the organisers are looking to take the cyclists for a ride financially. Income would be circa £75 x 14,000 = £1m. I expect there to be some admin, some costs of marshals and route marking.
I can understand why you northerners would keep it local in the Surrey Hills, but you're doing yourselves a disservice by not coming down south, esp considering how often we toil up into your industrial, flat cap wearing, whippet walking, heartland.

Even if you just popped down and picked a route between the A24 and A3 down to the A272 you'll find some great cycling roads, that you'll think have been closed to cars.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I can understand why you northerners would keep it local in the Surrey Hills, but you're doing yourselves a disservice by not coming down south, esp considering how often we toil up into your industrial, flat cap wearing, whippet walking, heartland.

Even if you just popped down and picked a route between the A24 and A3 down to the A272 you'll find some great cycling roads, that you'll think have been closed to cars.

Aye, but there is a good reason why you coastal inhabitants would head north for a bike ride. The opposite direction is likely wet!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think that was the coldest I’ve been on my bike today. Ever!!
Good effort, I'm now kicking myself for hiding behind a slightly sore throat and bit of snot.
Wishing instead I'd asked if you were going out to play.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I did notice that in Oomloop, Colbrelli was one of a few riders wearing shorts and no gloves. Come Sunday, and KBK, only Demare seemed to be left in terms of riders now wearing shorts. Demare did have gloves on though whilst a few still didn't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This year's race proved to be a particularly cold one with the peloton firmly wrapped up in a barrage of kit. Niki Terpstra (Quick-Step Floors) before the race told Sporza that he had covered his face in vaseline to escape the bitter wind chill.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Bit of advice please.

I am looking to buy Cannondale Synapse 105 2018. I am good on hills but struggle with some of the beasts around Bristol - bloke in Evans suggested I could have a different cassette at back:11 36 instead of standard 11 32. I get that will mean less smooth gear changes but shouldn't need the 36 cog too often. Does it actually make much difference in practice? Enough to make the gear change disadvantage worth it?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Bit of advice please.

I am looking to buy Cannondale Synapse 105 2018. I am good on hills but struggle with some of the beasts around Bristol - bloke in Evans suggested I could have a different cassette at back:11 36 instead of standard 11 32. I get that will mean less smooth gear changes but shouldn't need the 36 cog too often. Does it actually make much difference in practice? Enough to make the gear change disadvantage worth it?

I ride a 11-28. Done me alright on those hills in France. Far more experienced riders on here to advise you though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit of advice please.

36 seems rather large, you could eat your dinner off that.
I have a 32 on my winter hack and 28 on my summer bike.

I find myself riding lazy with the extra gears, obviously that's no bad thing through the winter, I'm not sure it would be enjoyable all year round.
That said Bristol is somewhat lumpy isn't it?
I doubt I'd be so casual about it if I was climbing cliff faces.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]968196469927837697[/tweet]

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
36 seems rather large, you could eat your dinner off that.
I have a 32 on my winter hack and 28 on my summer bike.

I find myself riding lazy with the extra gears, obviously that's no bad thing through the winter, I'm not sure it would be enjoyable all year round.
That said Bristol is somewhat lumpy isn't it?
I doubt I'd be so casual about it if I was climbing cliff faces.

Excuse my ignorance Stat, I thought you were a Campag man? Odd numbers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excuse my ignorance Stat, I thought you were a Campag man? Odd numbers.

Fishing tackle on the hack.
You wouldn't want to waste quality components on shite roads, would you?

Oh I guess my Athena groupset is either 27 or 29, I can't remember which.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here